• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you consider an A-2 w/handwarmers to be a "real" A-2?

Andrew

NO.

Aside from all the previously stated reasons I'm sure another would have been simplicity of construction- much easier and quicker to simply stich on some patch pockets than construct some elaborate device that actually cuts a slice through the body of the jacket, needs a separate lining and could catch on something.

Those things spoil the fit of the jacket as well, adding extra bulk and gape to a region most guys can not afford. Absolute sacrilege to call it an A-2.

zoomer

Roughwear said:
Where is this thread going?

To Manville, where we will argue about anything in the strongest possible terms. Especially when mass market beer is involved.

Tim P

so, by the same rationale, do you consider a tanker jacket with a plain cloth collar to be a tanker? an irvin with pockets an irvin?

I would say not.

Chandler

zoomer said:
Especially when mass market beer is involved.

Yeah, so? Handwarmers on A-2s go well with swill. :D
(and as a qualification, that should say mass-market U.S. beer, there's a lot of mass-market European beer that's very good)

Chandler

zoomer

Chandler said:
zoomer said:
Especially when mass market beer is involved.

Yeah, so? Handwarmers on A-2s go well with swill. :D
(and as a qualification, that should say mass-market U.S. beer, there's a lot of mass-market European beer that's very good)
Agreed. But I figure only Americans are going to talk serious smack at each other about a topic like this. It's a slightly more sophisticated analog to the Bud/Miller/Pabst rivalry.

blueoakleyz

Curahee said:
Maybe you should rephrase your question:

Do you consider an WW-2 period A-2 w/handwarmers to be a "real" A-2 ?

Then my answer would be NO, and Falcon_52 has a real good point about the drawing number, that's the
key to this discussion, too bad there no original designs/drawings/documents on the TYPE A-2 jacket. That
would solve this question for once and for all

But that's really not what I meant. Everyone seemed to assume "ww2-accurate" but I have no interest in ww2 or any specific period..

Roughwear

blueoakleyz said:
Curahee said:
Maybe you should rephrase your question:

Do you consider an WW-2 period A-2 w/handwarmers to be a "real" A-2 ?

Then my answer would be NO, and Falcon_52 has a real good point about the drawing number, that's the
key to this discussion, too bad there no original designs/drawings/documents on the TYPE A-2 jacket. That
would solve this question for once and for all

But that's really not what I meant. Everyone seemed to assume "ww2-accurate" but I have no interest in ww2 or any specific period..

Of course we did because anything other than a WW2 A2 or an accurate repro is not an A2 if one uses the original spec as a guide! :roll:

Vcruiser

blueoakleyz said:

Then buy what you want. I think many "Bomber" jackets have handwarmers...and from a distant look somewhat like a "real" A2.
To most of us a "real" A2 is an issued A2 of WW2 vintage or one patterned in that style. A trim more shirtlike summer leather jacket without all the bells a whistles.
If none of that matters....then just a brown leather jacket with knits could be a "real" A2. Add handwarmers...sleeve pockets that zip or velcro...a cellphone holster.... a laced lambskin cupholder net...and an oversized keyring with a CBI mini flashlight.....

Atticus

Vcruiser said:
blueoakleyz said:

Then buy what you want. I think many "Bomber" jackets have handwarmers...and from a distant look somewhat like a "real" A2.
To most of us a "real" A2 is an issued A2 of WW2 vintage or one patterned in that style. A trim more shirtlike summer leather jacket without all the bells a whistles.
If none of that matters....then just a brown leather jacket with knits could be a "real" A2. Add handwarmers...sleeve pockets that zip or velcro...a cellphone holster.... a laced lambskin cupholder net...and an oversized keyring with a CBI mini flashlight.....

...Don't forget the map-imprinted lining, by which to make covert escape from enemy territory, and the "approved for low-level, high-speed flight" U.S. Gov'mint disclaimer....

AF

Falcon_52

blueoakleyz said:
I think I myself have completely forgotten what I was tryin to find out. Oh well.. I like the jacket heh

That's alright. In the end, that's all that matters anyway... ;)

Noel

zoomer

Guys...really now.
I appreciate that you show ya luv for Type A-2. I share the luv.
But at the end of the day, all it is is a TYPE. A design.
-waist length jacket -zip front -knit cuffs and waistband -fold-over collar -patch/flap pockets -epaulets -plain back

a2_mccoys_dubow.jpg
A-2
4361.jpg
A-2
cockpit2979_225.jpg
A-2
bgSCHA2.jpg
A-2

You can call a jacket an A-2 knockoff, civvy A-2, mall A-2, lame-ass gangsta pukeface A-2. But it's still an A-2. It's a valid descriptive term for a DESIGN that lots of people understand.

Handwarmers or lack of them, width of shoulders, pieced back or sleeves, extraneous or missing snaps etc., are all SUBTLETIES, however much you and I value them.

Vcruiser

Yeah...but it's still NOT a REAL A2...
...just as a Zoomer in a tutu couldn't be the real
Zoomer. Er...on second thought...

hacker

Vcruiser said:

Didn't he post that photo on the FL?........on second thought maybe it was that Spanish guy

Hacker

zoomer

Vcruiser said:
When Mistress Larisa Alexandrovna says "wear the tutu," zoomer wears the frikkin tutu.

jacketimp

zoomer said:
Vcruiser said:
When Mistress Larisa Alexandrovna says "wear the tutu," zoomer wears the frikkin tutu.

does Mistress Larisa Alexandria crack her cat o'nine to get her wicked wayz........... :twisted:

craaaaaack craaaaaaaaack oooooooooooooh who's a naughty boy??