• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you consider an A-2 w/handwarmers to be a "real" A-2?

blueoakleyz

Do you consider an A-2 with side-entry handwarmer pockets and an inside pocket to be a "Real" or "Authentic" A-2?

For example I bought an A-2 2000 from USWings.. I like the idea of having a REAL and authentic jacket and not something designed by some mall brand..

A

Anonymous

I'll bite VC !

If you want an 'authentic' A-2 then NO handwarmer pockets. It was a WW2 era jacket and didn't have them.

If you want handwarmer pockets, then get an unauthentic Avirex with the handwarmer pockets. But then it won't be authentic.

You wanted an opinion on what was authentic. If you don't care then why ask ?

Dave :ugeek:

blueoakleyz

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I'll bite VC !

If you want an 'authentic' A-2 then NO handwarmer pockets. It was a WW2 era jacket and didn't have them.

If you want handwarmer pockets, then get an unauthentic Avirex with the handwarmer pockets. But then it won't be authentic.

You wanted an opinion on what was authentic. If you don't care then why ask ?

Well I don't mean just WW2 era. Is it something the military COULD have any day, even today?

Let me put it another way.
As far as I know the US Wings Signature Series A2 is actually used as "The real thing" in the military. The A-2 2000 is the same exact jacket, same specs and quality, but adds extra pockets. Does the adding of pockets make it "commercial mall trash" in your eyes?

Don't limit your view to just WW2 I have no particular interest in that era or any other era.

Roughwear

No No No! Welcome to the forum. Just look through the posts in the vintage section and you will see WW11 A2s did not have hand-warmer pockets.

blueoakleyz

Roughwear said:
No No No! Welcome to the forum. Just look through the posts in the vintage section and you will see WW11 A2s did not have hand-warmer pockets.

It doesn't have to be a WW2 specific jacket..

Don't think in terms of actual date specific jackets, jacket replicas, accuracy etc.. think in more of philisophical terms.. like does a real military issue A-2 stop being a real A-2 if you add pockets etc

Tim P

well no. then it is a modified original piece. handawarmer pockets are superbly practical and a very high quality (in terms of workmanship and materials rather than authenticity) lookalike or rather 'inspired by' can be had and are no less attractive as jackets in their own right.

Here the preference however is for the true vintage or modern efforts to recapture the true vintage. If an aero leather jacket made for the civilan market in the day had handwarmer pockets then it is a true vintage jacket. It would not be an a-2 however. If it had been aquired for use by an airman then it would have residual military appeal to the collector but details like functioning eppaulettes, lack of a fly front, snap fastening at the collar or waist etc are all atypical of Mil- spec.

modern issue jackets may or may not be vintage depending on your take of it but I am unaware of their issue with any handwarmer pockets.
Hope this helps to answer and I hope the question is genuine too. (we have a lot of new faces coming on just to take the pi$$)

dadgad

A2 weren't designed with side handwarmers.

If you like to have your jacket called A2 you are free to have it but in facts is not.

Swing

dmoser1978 said:
The A-2's that airmen currently wear have handwarmers so, yes.

And I think they also have a panels down the sides of the body (like a war time B-3) so smaller hides can be used. So you could make the arguement that since they now have handwarmers and the side panels, they've ceased being A-2s even if that is what the USAF still calls them.

~Swing

dadgad

Swing said:
dmoser1978 said:

And I think they also have a panels down the sides of the body (like a war time B-3) so smaller hides can be used. So you could make the arguement that since they now have handwarmers and the side panels, they've ceased being A-2s even if that is what the USAF still calls them.

~Swing

A-2 mod.? :idea: :idea:

Jaydee

dmoser1978 said:
I believe the spec now allows them (handwarmers) in the USAF, but not positive. If you are talking about all A-2's, including the modern issue jackets.

IMHO if it's cold enough for handwarmers, it's too cold to be wearing an A-2. Unless your going to don all the other gear including the gloves.

Atticus

Yes, the jacket the Air Force now sells to their aircrew has hand warmer pockets...and, indeed, the Air Force calls it an A-2. We may disagree, but after all, its their jacket and I guess they get to name it. I don't even think that they have to consult us first, although I wish they had.

But this topic begs a question that has always interested me. So...which is my more authentic jacket...my Good Wear A-1, which I dearly love but which was made specifically for me, never issued, never worn by anyone in the military and which has never flown in a military aircraft...or, my beater, fifty-nine-dollar, USAF Avirex A-2 which was made for the Air Force, issued by the Air Force and which was worn to God knows where by someone(s) in the Air Force?

AF

A

Anonymous

blueoakleyz said:
Roughwear said:

It doesn't have to be a WW2 specific jacket..

Don't think in terms of actual date specific jackets, jacket replicas, accuracy etc.. think in more of philisophical terms.. like does a real military issue A-2 stop being a real A-2 if you add pockets etc

VERY BONE question. Regulations would not permit hand warmer pockets therefore even a modified original wouldn't be 'authentic' in terms of a GI item.

What's the deal ?