• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Chandler

Chandler, I did yesterday and from the sizes available, they may have restocked or found a new manufacturer.

Are you familiar with their sizing?
Haven't heard any new news from them. Their email blasts have been pretty clear that there will be no new boots for quite a while. I'll see if I can dig up the last one.

Since they started making boots from a U.S. manufacturer, I haven't bought anything from them so I can't comment on their sizing.

Chandler

Any comments on the arch support? Mine are a bit weak.
I wear my older supports (half-length) in my Corcorans -- pretty much the same sort of insoles as the old-style boots other than their simple pad.

My old generation ATF rough outs are very old school -- not much inside at all, so I wear the supports in them too.

Chandler

Haven't heard any new news from them. Their email blasts have been pretty clear that there will be no new boots for quite a while. I'll see if I can dig up the last one.
From Feb. 15, 2023:
The photo above shows what we have left of US made boots- as of this moment, there remain 67 pairs of service shoes and jump boots combined. A year ago, there were about 450 pairs. We sold 51 pairs last month- so at this rate, we'll be out of them by April.

I keep reminding everyone that there will be no more- not of USA made boots anyway. So, the answer to the constant question of "when will more come in?" is "never". Why??? Thank the Covid shenanigans for this.

Replacements? I'm cautiously optimistic that Vietnam may come through- I'll be much more confidant once I get a good sample in hand.

Luckily, we own the molds for these boots as well as roughouts, two buckles and boondockers. Molds for soles and heels are the most expensive part of making such boots.

We have discontinued the license with Goodyear so their logos have been removed from the molds. (Long story- let's just say the hassle factor was increasing exponentially.)

IF (note the caps) this goes as promised, we might have service shoes and jump boots by the end of 2023. IF (caps again) those work out, then we'll proceed with the other styles. Just in case you're a recent subscriber, know that IF rarely comes to pass as promised. Should things go as usual, then this time next year we'll still be running in circles trying to get good quality boots made.
However, and depending on your size... it looks like "you've chosen wisely," as the Service Shoes seem to have the most sizes still available.

Since the above note they've said they are testing with a new manufacturer in Vietnam and they're optimistic with the leather samples they've seen.

Dany McDonald

it looks like "you've chosen wisely,"

Yeah, well I am size US10 on most shoes. BUT size US9 with my two pairs Iron Rangers from Red Wings. The US10D is not available...

Also they are 299.00 and that's steep for a "one run of who made them'' boots. I know what I am getting with Red Wings, ATF is not a shoe maker but that doesn't mean that the boots are not great. I am just uncertain for now.

D

Grant

For me, sizing of ATF boots have always been my regular boot/shoe size. Here's my ATF service shoes after a couple years wear. They keep getting more comfortable the more they're worn. Time to polish them soon.

Boots.jpg

Chandler

Yeah, well I am size US10 on most shoes. BUT size US9 with my two pairs Iron Rangers from Red Wings. The US10D is not available...

Also they are 299.00 and that's steep for a "one run of who made them'' boots. I know what I am getting with Red Wings, ATF is not a shoe maker but that doesn't mean that the boots are not great. I am just uncertain for now.
To be fair to ATF, these newer boots were being made in the U.S. (and I think there was more than one run), so they're priced inline with many other "heritage style," boots. It will be interesting to see how they price the imported versions -- if they use the Vietnam factory -- even though I am hearing Southeast Asia is the new king of great boots to all the fanboys.

But yeah, you can't go wrong with Red Wing -- and if I get another pair (of any style) I'm sure I'll be sizing down at least half a size from my Brannock measurement. I like my Iron Rangers, but since they've broken in I can tell what those half-size smaller pair (that felt too tight) would have fit.

Dany McDonald

To be fair to ATF, these newer boots were being made in the U.S. (and I think there was more than one run), so they're priced inline with many other "heritage style," boots.

Totally agree and good point.

But yeah, you can't go wrong with Red Wing -- and if I get another pair (of any style) I'm sure I'll be sizing down at least half a size from my Brannock measurement. I like my Iron Rangers, but since they've broken in I can tell what those half-size smaller pair (that felt too tight) would have fit.

My Rangers have about 8-10 years of wear and it's true that they will fit a tiny bit bigger when broken in. I had to resole one pair cause that's how well made they are. BUT I find that the inner sole have packed and hardened over time and uncomfortable for long walks.

Chandler

BUT I find that the inner sole have packed and hardened over time and uncomfortable for long walks.
Good info, but just so you know -- any WW2 (or pre-war) shoes made in the true, original manner of those 30s and 40s footwear are going to have rock-hard insoles to start with.

My ATF roughouts are so rudimentary in their manufacture that the insoles are scary compared with modern shoes.

Dany McDonald

I’ve dealt with the hard insole thing repeatedly. Now I just plot in a pair of Dr Sholl’s work insoles and my feet feel great in any boots I wear .

In my case, I deal with embossment of the insole creating pressure point on the sole of the foot. Wonder if we can rebuilt the insole not just a resole?

Chandler

In my case, I deal with embossment of the insole creating pressure point on the sole of the foot. Wonder if we can rebuilt the insole not just a resole?
Check out the Trenton & Heath YouTube channel -- they're always rebuilding shoes & boots in easy and complicated ways.

What's odd about your RW experience is how many of these "boot experts" on the interwebs talk about the RW insoles forming to your feet and that making them super comfortable.

But yeah, everyone's perception of foot comfort is probably quite different. Having had plantar fasciitis for many years, I know what a plank-hard insole is gonna do to my feet!

Dany McDonald

insoles forming to your feet and that making them super comfortable

Yeah, it's true but to a certain point. There's forming and there's deformation after 10 years of usage I guess. Its not that bad just different compared with when they were 1 year old.

Got me thinking about asking what is a full rebuilt at Red Wings.

Smithy

I’ve dealt with the hard insole thing repeatedly. Now I just plot in a pair of Dr Sholl’s work insoles and my feet feel great in any boots I wear .

That's what I have in my roughouts Burt. I tend to use them only over the non-snow months, whereas I use my service shoes around town over the colder months too so they have some sheepskin insoles for then. When the warmer months hit I swap out the sheepskin ones for some Dr Scholl gel ones like I use in my roughouts.

This got me thinking...I should probably dubbin my roughouts again soon.

Happy Hooligan

I just emailed with Dehner asking if they had plans to reproduce their tanker boot. I was at first told, they make an almost identical one, only different sole, buckles and everything else, well it's totally different. I then sent them pics of the original and Eastman's version and asked for this one in Horse. I was then told they can't do Horse, unless I supply them with the hide, and as to the old style they can but it's a $75 pattern charge.

Now I'm thinking, so just $75 plus some good boot horsehide and they can make it for me? Their regular tankers sell in the 470 range. Should be less since I'm suppling my own leather right? Might be an option as I'm sure once they get it right, they could sell quite a few pairs?

Anyone want to be the first to attempt it?

Dany McDonald

I just emailed with Dehner asking if they had plans to reproduce their tanker boot. I was at first told, they make an almost identical one, only different sole, buckles and everything else, well it's totally different. I then sent them pics of the original and Eastman's version and asked for this one in Horse. I was then told they can't do Horse, unless I supply them with the hide, and as to the old style they can but it's a $75 pattern charge.

Now I'm thinking, so just $75 plus some good boot horsehide and they can make it for me? Their regular tankers sell in the 470 range. Should be less since I'm suppling my own leather right? Might be an option as I'm sure once they get it right, they could sell quite a few pairs?

Anyone want to be the first to attempt it?

Man that is very very interesting. IF its as good as Buzz or Eastman cause their recent iteration of the original (theirs) is not that stimulating to the trained eye lets say.

We would also have to give feedback and directions on the whole concept of reproducing to a certain standard, like color, hardware, details etc....

D