• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Dany McDonald

From what I've read they were developed by George S Patton and H.E. Ketzler of the Dehner Boot Company in 1937 and were in use through 1944.

This might be interesting. Found an auction for Dehner Tank Boots. ElC really did a great job reproducing these.

Zero link with the seller...

Dehner_Tanker_Boots-002.jpg

Dehner_Tanker_Boots-013.jpg

D

Dany McDonald

Agreed Chandler, leather sole have pros and cons that doesn't bode well in a mucky environment, like around tanks in combat. From what I understand, the intended initial design, was to optimized the crewman comfortability, hence the leather sole... maybe...

When I say not meant to walk/run, I mean over long distances like a GI. Guess they would be ok for a general usage around and inside an armored vehicle.

D

Grant

Wow! Cool, photo of a pair of original Dehner's that most likely date to the 1930's. Thanks for posting!
Impossible to tell if the heels and soles are original, but Eastman tankers have rubber over leather soles and original Cats Paw rubber heels. Also, the Dehner tanker boots appear to be made from horsehide - which Gary also uses. The Eastman's are fully lined in leather (I doubt the originals were) so are super comfortable to wear walking around the mean streets of New York. That's my two cents!

I can only hope mine age as beautifully as those Dehners!

jack31916

Agreed Chandler, leather sole have pros and cons that doesn't bode well in a mucky environment, like around tanks in combat. From what I understand, the intended initial design, was to optimized the crewman comfortability, hence the leather sole... maybe...

When I say not meant to walk/run, I mean over long distances like a GI. Guess they would be ok for a general usage around and inside an armored vehic

Guys, found these beauties, looks like leather and rubber...

View attachment 103603

View attachment 103605
Leather soles and rubber heels were normal use on the early (army) boots. According to internet the Dehner Tank boots were designed in 1937 so pre-war and according to the standards. They never made it to the Quartermaster though and probably were available as private issue. The Dehner Company seems to be still in business and are still selling the Tanker boot: https://dehner.com/product/dehner-tank-boot-strap/