• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

JonnyCrow

We had a guy in my class who was talking in class in standard 3 (so we were 10 years old). The teacher whipped round and threw the wooden blackboard duster at him and hit him on the eyebrow. He was sent to the matron and needed a few stitches but no-one batted an eyelid. If that happened now the police would be involved.

With all that said I liked school and I came out OK. I was big enough and thick skinned enough to get by but there were some kids who were no doubt buggered up by it.

I'm pleased my kids are going to school here and especially the little guy who doesn't have to go through the schooling I had.
Amen to that eh

JonnyCrow

I remember one or two rare occasions when a pupil who was on the receiving end of a pasting from a master blew a fuse and had a go back - and the master coming off worse. What usually happened in these scenario's was a pile on by nearby staff members but once or twice a master ended up receiving a good pasting to body and pride with the winning lad managing to leg it out of school, only to receive a beating by the head or deputy if the boy ever returned.
A lot like reform school than normal school eh Steve

Pa12

Ah sadistic old school teachers we have known and hated - pun intended! Our lot did not restrict themselves to plimsolls, canes, rulers, yardsticks ...the list went on and on and it would be unpleasant to dwell. What I do recall is the ability of most to suddenly turn around from writing on a blackboard and hurl a bit of chalk at whoever was playing up and to hit the mark every time. If the problem was of a more serious nature it would be one of the heavy wood block and felt blackboard rubbers chucked at the victim ...and they had the potential to do real damage to heads, bodies ...and windows which is what happened if their target was quick enough to duck or dodge the projectile! I could go on...
Ah, the old days of corporal punishment. I remember them well. The official means was by the principal in the office with the strap. The odd teacher liked to dish it out themselves and one in particular got real pleasure out of it. An old bachelor with no kids. He had a yardstick that was split so it would pinch as well. Our school was L shaped, so from the first day of kindergarten we could see through the office windows and watch kids getting the strap. And when I think back, some of them needed it;)

JonnyCrow

Not a reform school, or borstal come to that [unlike me I'm not sure you are old enough to remember the borstal system in the UK] but the place did have an interesting cross section of society.
I certainly do remember Steve haha although I was young and knew a couple of older bad boys who went, not by choice obviously, but yeah growing up near the Hull trawler area, interesting cross section is putting it mildly :D

JonnyCrow

I certainly do remember Steve haha although I was young and knew a couple of older bad boys who went, not by choice obviously, but yeah growing up near the Hull trawler area, interesting cross section is putting it mildly :D
Steve on a better note regarding teachers, I had one for English called Bomber Oxley, during WWII he was on Lancaster crew hence the name, incidentally my father had him also for English haha lovely guy, when he died had many commiserations to him

Smithy

We had some lovely old teachers too. One coached the 1st XI and was also a maths teacher. I was cricket mad and he caught me once reading a Wisden in class. He said "Outside Smith!" which usually meant you were in for the cane. Anyway he comes out and leads me down the hallway a bit before telling me, "If you're going to read a Wisden in my class at least put it inside the textbook so I can't see it!". He gave me a wink and back we went to class.

We were always addressed by our surnames. I've met quite a few classmates down the years and all I can remember is their surname or the nickname they had.

D97x7

After some vaseline and obenaufs oil on the inside, they're back wearable again.
IMG_20230221_092848.jpg
IMG_20230221_092903.jpg

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

We had some lovely old teachers too. One coached the 1st XI and was also a maths teacher. I was cricket mad and he caught me once reading a Wisden in class. He said "Outside Smith!" which usually meant you were in for the cane. Anyway he comes out and leads me down the hallway a bit before telling me, "If you're going to read a Wisden in my class at least put it inside the textbook so I can't see it!". He gave me a wink and back we went to class.

We were always addressed by our surnames. I've met quite a few classmates down the years and all I can remember is their surname or the nickname they had.
Haha good story, incidentally we had another good teacher, in winter we had to wear the issued school cap and scarf, at least younger boys, if he saw you he'd say boys where's your cap, when you walked away, he'd wink and say remember boys, no shit on your shirt tails hahaha ;) :D

JonnyCrow

Oh yes last names only, being a Catholic school, using some of the names, half the class stood up if you were Irish haha