• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Smithy

Haha I know, compulsary UK too, and god help if you forget your shorts, undies it was :p a few kids got called skids at my school for obvious reasons haha ;)

I went to a very strict British style boarding school, with strappings and canings galore, and we had to do swimming summer and winter. If you forgot your togs/swimming trunks you had to do it in the nuddie.

Micawber

If it's the things I'm thinking of sandshoes were known as plimsolls where I came from. Horrible things that made your feet sweat and stink. More than one schoolmaster had at least one giant size plimsoll that they would use to tan your backside for things like arriving late or missing registration, forgetting homework, work not up to standard. Complete sadistic b@stards some of them.

Smithy

If it's the things I'm thinking of sandshoes were known as plimsolls where I came from. Horrible things that made your feet sweat and stink. More than one schoolmaster had at least one giant size plimsoll that they would use to tan your backside for things like arriving late or missing registration, forgetting homework, work not up to standard. Complete sadistic b@stards some of them.

They probably were the same thing Steve. Our sandshoes were white canvas uppers and white rubber soles.

We got the strap (on the hand) or the cane on the backside. We had one teacher who was a sadistic bastard. He was a bowling coach for the 1st XI and used to "bowl" the strap. So you had to stand down one end of the hall and he'd run in like a fast bowler using a bowling action to strap your hand. He was a nasty prick and really enjoyed it.

I got thumped on the backside with a cricket bat one time by a PE teacher for throwing a cricket bat. That wasn't very enjoyable.

JonnyCrow

I went to a very strict British style boarding school, with strappings and canings galore, and we had to do swimming summer and winter. If you forgot your togs/swimming trunks you had to do it in the nuddie.
I never went to a boarding school but I did got to the Marist catholic school, I got caned there a few times, haha swimming in the nud though never did that :p

JonnyCrow

Yes Steve, black plimsolls, we just called them sandshoes, I had a couple of sadistic barstards though who loved the cane, Catholic priests

Smithy

I never went to a boarding school but I did got to the Marist catholic school, I got caned there a few times, haha swimming in the nud though never did that :p

We got caned right, left and centre. By 6th and 7th form you actually preferred it over an hour long detention after school because it was over quickly.

Kids used to try and get around it by stuffing exercise books in their shorts (part of school uniform was you had to wear shorts year round). If they caught you doing that (and they usually did) it was an automatic "six of the best".

JonnyCrow

We got caned right, left and centre. By 6th and 7th form you actually preferred it over an hour long detention after school because it was over quickly.

Kids used to try and get around it by stuffing exercise books in their shorts (part of school uniform was you had to wear shorts year round). If they caught you doing that (and they usually did) it was an automatic "six of the best".
Mm I got caned on the hand, feck did that hurt, especially if you flinched and it got you on the fingertips :eek:

Smithy

Mm I got caned on the hand, feck did that hurt, especially if you flinched and it got you on the fingertips :eek:

My dear old Dad held his school record for most canings. He's sadly gone now so I can't ask him but I remember it was over 200 times and IIRC it was somewhere over 250 times.

Smithy

We got it on the arse but they were bloody awful things, bamboo and as thick as your thumb. You had these massive red welts after it even though you got it through your undies and shorts.

Typically they banned corporal punishment the year after I finished school!

JonnyCrow

We got it on the arse but they were bloody awful things, bamboo and as thick as your thumb. You had these massive red welts after it even though you got it through your undies and shorts.

Typically they banned corporal punishment the year after I finished school!
One guy had a selection and chose one like a whip sometimes, can you imagine that in schools now haha

JonnyCrow

My Norwegian wife was utterly shocked when I told her about my schooling. They'd banned corporal punishment in Norway not long after the war so for her it was like I'd grown up in the Dark Ages.
The dark ages haha yeah along with the cane, slipper and ruler, you sometimes got the blackboard cleaner thrown at you

JonnyCrow

My Norwegian wife was utterly shocked when I told her about my schooling. They'd banned corporal punishment in Norway not long after the war so for her it was like I'd grown up in the Dark Ages.
Just talking with my wife as she went to convent school and girls boarding school here in Spain, she said nuns were just as sadistic

Smithy

The dark ages haha yeah along with the cane, slipper and ruler, you sometimes got the blackboard cleaner thrown at you

We had a guy in my class who was talking in class in standard 3 (so we were 10 years old). The teacher whipped round and threw the wooden blackboard duster at him and hit him on the eyebrow. He was sent to the matron and needed a few stitches but no-one batted an eyelid. If that happened now the police would be involved.

With all that said I liked school and I came out OK. I was big enough and thick skinned enough to get by but there were some kids who were no doubt buggered up by it.

I'm pleased my kids are going to school here and especially the little guy who doesn't have to go through the schooling I had.

Micawber

Ah sadistic old school teachers we have known and hated - pun intended! Our lot did not restrict themselves to plimsolls, canes, rulers, yardsticks ...the list went on and on and it would be unpleasant to dwell. What I do recall is the ability of most to suddenly turn around from writing on a blackboard and hurl a bit of chalk at whoever was playing up and to hit the mark every time. If the problem was of a more serious nature it would be one of the heavy wood block and felt blackboard rubbers chucked at the victim ...and they had the potential to do real damage to heads, bodies ...and windows which is what happened if their target was quick enough to duck or dodge the projectile! I could go on...

Smithy

Ah sadistic old school teachers we have known and hated - pun intended! Our lot did not restrict themselves to plimsolls, canes, rulers, yardsticks ...the list went on and on and it would be unpleasant to dwell. What I do recall is the ability of most to suddenly turn around from writing on a blackboard and hurl a bit of chalk at whoever was playing up and to hit the mark every time. If the problem was of a more serious nature it would be one of the heavy wood block and felt blackboard rubbers chucked at the victim ...and they had the potential to do real damage to heads, bodies ...and windows which is what happened if their target was quick enough to duck or dodge the projectile! I could go on...

It's a different era Steve. We had compulsory boxing as part of PE, and the PE teacher would often get the smallest bloke - you know the one who played chess and sat in the library at lunch - and put him in the ring with some front rower from one of the rugby teams because as we were told ad nauseum "it was character building". Usually it was carnage but one of my best memories was when this happened...

They'd got some science whizz and put him in the ring with this gorilla who IIRC played hooker in the 2nd XV. It was bound to be a massacre. Anyway they got in the ring and just after they did, the door to the gym opened, the PE teacher looked over and when he did, science boy took his chance and kicked the big bugger right in the nuts with an almighty kick sending him onto the canvas. There were hoots of derision and lots of shouting but the PE teacher thought that science boy had landed a lucky one on the gorilla's chin and gave it to science boy. Science boy though spent the next term evading the gorilla to save his clock getting cleaned! But everybody loved his initiative and he was a legend because of it ;-)

Micawber

I remember one or two rare occasions when a pupil who was on the receiving end of a pasting from a master blew a fuse and had a go back - and the master coming off worse. What usually happened in these scenario's was a pile on by nearby staff members but once or twice a master ended up receiving a good pasting to body and pride with the winning lad managing to leg it out of school, only to receive a beating by the head or deputy if the boy ever returned.

Smithy

I remember one or two rare occasions when a pupil who was on the receiving end of a pasting from a master blew a fuse and had a go back - and the master coming off worse. What usually happened in these scenario's was a pile on by nearby staff members but once or twice a master ended up receiving a good pasting to body and pride with the winning lad managing to leg it out of school, only to receive a beating by the head or deputy if the boy ever returned.

That teacher I mentioned above who bowled the strap. A lot of guys I know have said that if they ever met him on the street they'd thump the shit out of him. He was an evil prick though and really enjoyed strapping and caning.