• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Grant

Anyone else attempt to break in a new pair of jump boots? For years I was used to wearing broken in original jump boots, but man o man this is a whole new world of torture! These ATF jump boots are quality made, but they're not for dainty feet breaking them in. I'm up to walking a couple miles each day and I can tell as they break in they'll be damn comfortable (I hope!).

Boots2.jpg
Boots1.jpg
Boots3.jpg

Adama36

Anyone else attempt to break in a new pair of jump boots? For years I was used to wearing broken in original jump boots, but man o man this is a whole new world of torture! These ATF jump boots are quality made, but they're not for dainty feet breaking them in. I'm up to walking a couple miles each day and I can tell as they break in they'll be damn comfortable (I hope!).

View attachment 74430View attachment 74431View attachment 74432
I got myself a pair of new corcoran jumpboots recently and to my surprise I found them actually very comfortable.
Did not like the glossy finish of these boots though and "weathered" them a little. Will try to post pictures later

Maybe the ATF ones are stiffer than the corcorans

B-Man2

View attachment 74430View attachment 74431View attachment 74432
I remember seeing a video of the making of the Band of Brothers Series . Dale Dye a retired Marine Corp Captain and the technical advisor to most WWII movies made back then, had all of the actors wear their boots into the shower a couple of times and completely soaked them down and let them dry naturally over time while the actors wore them. Then once the leather softened up he had them all spit shine their boots . According to Dye this was the technique that was used by the WWII airborne troops . I have a pair of modern day Corcoran’s that were mildly easier to wear during the break in period .

Griffon_301

That's about what we were taught to do with our heavy boots during basic training in the army... Add a coat or two of beewax and I got a very nice and comfortable pair of really heavy duty boots that were also virtually waterproof and kept ones feet warm and dry even when walking in winter for 20+ miles in snow...

Chandler

"The following is a common break-in tip you’re likely to see, but one that we do not endorse. There are plenty of variations on this theory, either to fully submerge the boots, partially soak them, or even wear them around for a day with wet socks. The issue is that, though leather can stand a certain degree of moisture, it’s ultimately not great for your boots. Though it sounds counterintuitive, water can actually dry out your leather boots, eventually leading to greater problems like cracks and tears.

Some could argue that the leather is soaked with water during the manufacturing process, so it can’t be bad. But that’s done in a very contained environment by people who know what they’re doing. If you feel passionate about soaking your new $300+ boots in water after you buy them, by all means, go ahead. We’re just here to let you know that we don’t approve."

It's one thing to soak issue boots for a fast break-in; when they dry out, crack and split you can just go back to the QM for a new pair. But when you're dropping your own cash on a nice pair of boots...

Mink oil and gradual wear is the best method. FWIW -- I have a pair of Corcorans that still haven't broken in. I've worn them now and then and they're better than when new, but they still have a lot of shine and stiffness.

And, oh yeah -- don't wear them on the stationary bike to try to break them in -- worst shin-splints ever. ;)

P-47 thunderbolt

I had a pair of modern corcoran repros but wasn't quite happy with them - stitching and plastic heel welt didn't impress me so I sold them on and bought a pair of older original black Corcorans with the red label. These are great, well made and solid, the real deal, much happier with them but would like a brown pair. Possibly the older repros corcoran used to make with the old style label would be ideal.
20220209_185756.jpg
20220209_185803.jpg

Attachments

• 20220209_185803.jpg
    20220209_185803.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 113

B-Man2

To be clear on my last post : I was simply trying to share some info that I saw on a video on the making of the BOB series . Nothing more . If your concerns are how effective this process is or…. To what degree it might be detrimental to you boots , then you should do some additional research on the subject . From a more practical sense I’m sure that boot manufacturers would not condone most of the things jump boots were put through both for military and commercial use . From a personal perspective I can also share an anecdote. My dad told me he was issued two pair of jump boots during the war. One pair came home with him . He wore those boots through the war and up until the early 1960s . The boots never wore out and were still serviceable when my mom threw them out because they were covered grease and gasoline products . He was an auto repairman.
As far as I can remember he never did anything to those boots other than to clean them up once in a while . I can only imagine the shit he wore them in while in combat . I don’t think Heddles or any other boot manufacturers could have for seen any of that kind of use .

Micawber

Piss in them, leave overnight, empty, rinse if required, while still wet wear with thick socks until dry - or almost dry - then treat with your favourite leather conditioner.

P-47 thunderbolt

I tend to avoid mink oil these days, it tends to open the leather pores too much and can lead to damage, like neats foot oil.
I'm under the impression that if you stick to polish or natural wax like beeswax you can't go far wrong

Micawber

I tend to avoid mink oil these days, it tends to open the leather pores too much and can lead to damage, like neats foot oil.
I'm under the impression that if you stick to polish or natural wax like beeswax you can't go far wrong

Agree 100%. I have a friend who is one of the best hand crafted leather workers the UK bar none and he abhors the use of stuff like Neats Foot Oil and similar for the reasons you state and for the effects it has on certain threads too.

Thomas Koehle

I got myself a pair of new corcoran jumpboots recently and to my surprise I found them actually very comfortable.
Did not like the glossy finish of these boots though and "weathered" them a little. Will try to post pictures later

Maybe the ATF ones are stiffer than the corcorans

Same experience here: got 2 pair of the Corcorans about 10 years and never had trouble when breaking them in ...

Thomas Koehle

That's some pics of my CORCORANs - 1 pair in 11D - the other one in 11.5D - well they gathered some dust meanwhile ...

Breaking in was no mayor problem ... - yeah maybe even though i claim them "broken in" there is not that much wear on 'em

8wbGYqP.jpg

yNa4v8T.jpg

Another shoe/boot which was widely spread in the reenactment-scene in Europe/France are those older french combat boots - they basically look like the M1943 double buckles but soles and material mix is different. About 20 years ago you got them dirtcheap in the surplus shops - those things are though as nails and you need a sledgehammer to break them in

Photo shows the difference between my used pair (by far not yet "broken in") and a still new one. On smaller sizes 43 and lower (European 43 equals about 9.5 in US/GB) the "gaiters" are made in one piece with the body of the boot and do not have that seam separating the upper and lower part of the shoe

QrETVsh.jpg

french combat boots - the one on the left got some treatment and was worn a couple of times - problem is the older they get the sole sometimes separates on the heel

wriFVk7.jpg

NOS (new old stock) on the right ... - in my size (45 /11 US / 10.5 GB) you grab 'em when they show up to have some spares

js8Hift.jpg

brandnew sole - see the screws?

GtuQ4F5.jpg

slightly used ...

attached is also a pic from the D-Day celebrations in 2013 where similar boots where sold in bundles for display only coz these where already solid like rocks

12xnZO5.jpg

Normandy 2013

Last edited:

B-Man2

That's some pics of my CORCORANs - 1 pair in 11D - the other one in 11.5D - well they gathered some dust meanwhile ...

Breaking in was no mayor problem ... - yeah maybe even though i claim them "broken in" there is not that much wear on 'em

8wbGYqP.jpg

yNa4v8T.jpg

Another shoe/boot which was widely spread in the reenactment-scene in Europe/France are those older french combat boots - they basically look like the M1943 double buckles but soles and material mix is different. About 20 years ago you got them dirtcheap in the surplus shops - those things are though as nails and you need a sledgehammer to break them in

Photo shows the difference between my used pair (by far not yet "broken in") and a still new one. On smaller sizes 43 and lower (European 43 equals about 9.5 in US/GB) the "gaiters" are made in one piece with the body of the boot and do not have that seam separating the upper and lower part of the shoe

QrETVsh.jpg

french combat boots - the one on the left got some treatment and was worn a couple of times - problem is the older they get the sole sometimes separates on the heel

wriFVk7.jpg

NOS (new old stock) on the right ... - in my size (45 /11 US / 10.5 GB) you grab 'em when they show up to have some spares

js8Hift.jpg

brandnew sole - see the screws?

GtuQ4F5.jpg

slightly used ...

attached is also a pic from the D-Day celebrations in 2013 where similar boots where sold in bundles for display only coz these where already solid like rocks

12xnZO5.jpg

Normandy 2013
Thomas
Nice collection of boots . Are your Jump boots made by Corcoran or another company ?
Both pair look great . How old are they ?

B-Man2

They look good Thomas, what is the insole like? I wonder what parent company produced Corcorans back then?
There were several contracting companies who made jump boots during WWII . Two of them were the Corcoran boot company, and The Endicott Johnson boot company . Because Corcoran had one of the larger contracts, all of the boots became known as Corcorans .
I tried to find how many companies actually produced jump boots but so far nothing .