• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso. Whats happening?

Azimuth

Ok, so sounds like they may just take a long time right now to respond to people. My email was not even an order status request, just a question about placing an order, so I am sure that is lower priority. I'll just wait. Very interested in one of their jackets. If I end up buying I'll post about it!

MauldinFan

I know you all know and love this maker, but the idea of waiting months for even a response, let alone the jacket itself, smacks of "pre-order culture" wherein some folks think the longer you wait (and concurrently, how much you paid) is something to brag about.
I see this a lot in my other hobbies as well. The Kelso prices aren't really all that bad for a high end A2, but man, I don't have that kind of patience.
That certificate is odd. The signature is for a LtCol from the 29th Infantry? That was the 4th Infantry Division, about as far placed from an A2 as you could get and still be in the same military.

Azimuth

I know you all know and love this maker, but the idea of waiting months for even a response, let alone the jacket itself, smacks of "pre-order culture" wherein some folks think the longer you wait (and concurrently, how much you paid) is something to brag about.
I see this a lot in my other hobbies as well. The Kelso prices aren't really all that bad for a high end A2, but man, I don't have that kind of patience.

That certificate is odd. The signature is for a LtCol from the 29th Infantry? That was the 4th Infantry Division, about as far placed from an A2 as you could get and still be in the same military.
I understand what you are saying. This is definitely a thing in certain hobbies, and while I am not experienced enough to feel it yet, I can completely see this being a thing among people who are into leather jackets.

For my part I don't think it's something to brag about waiting, more just that I am in no rush to get the item I want (which is not an A2 or even strictly a repro). Bill Kelso just happens to make more or less what I am looking for. I've looked at a bunch of other brands but it's difficult to find one that makes something close enough to what I want that a small pattern alteration gets me there.

bellumbill

My issue is mainly with the communication or lack thereof. Wait time I figure is normal for bespoke items but i cant see the reason not to check and drop emails few times a week. I have been very busy in most jobs I have ever had and still found time to answer many, many emails a day.

Pa12

My issue is mainly with the communication or lack thereof. Wait time I figure is normal for bespoke items but i cant see the reason not to check and drop emails few times a week. I have been very busy in most jobs I have ever had and still found time to answer many, many emails a day.
The Platon syndrome

Grant

Kelso is all over social media posting almost daily. If they would spend a fraction of the time they dedicate to shilling their jackets on Instagram and reply to customers who have paid in full, it might go a long way in growing their business. Just a thought! :)

kev15

I have received my jacket and I have very mixed feelings. The craftmanship is stunning, it is a beauty.
On the other hand, sizing...

Reading Greg's post about his custom jacket I really wanted to nail the fit.
I had asked for assistance in figuring out the right size for me. I measured myself two times, a regular size 40 was recommended with the 42's 18 inch shoulders. I also filled out their questionnaire, the desire was a relaxed fitting jacket. So that was it, order was in.

After the long delay and anticipation, today was the day. As soon as I took it out of the box, it looked small. It is extremely snug everywhere (except for the belly, which I don't really have so that part is fine) and also short on the sleeves. This is my first A-2, definitely should have gone a size up.
However, after grabbing the measuring tape I realized all the numbers are below advertised and the custom shoulder size was never applied.

What do you gents think, are these number within the acceptable limits? I do not want to be the drama king, but I do not think so.

IMG_4899.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

IMG_4903.jpg

Skyhawk

Every Manufacturer should have a tolerance listed for their measurements. Does it fit within their tolerance?

Government Specs in general have a tolerance of 1.0" on length and .5" on everything else. Those numbers seem to fall within that range. Except for the shoulders which exceed the 1/2" tolerance.

Capt

I got my Cable A2 48R 2 days ago, very snug which was surprisingly after size exchanged and then this.

Got my M422a recently with issues but will have to let them respond but no issue’s should happen with a new jacket at those prices.

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 136

Chandler

Do they use NOS zips? I remember the NOS Talon on my ELC 1401 (circa late 80s) was real rough until I added some bees wax to the teeth.

Capt

Fore give my obscured face, my recent M422a from BK apparently it was my fault for choosing a vintage mouton collar. And anyone seen a collar sit like this? Not happy at all.

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpeg
    IMG_3304.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3313.jpeg
    IMG_3313.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 126

Grant

Fore give my obscured face, my recent M422a from BK apparently it was my fault for choosing a vintage mouton collar. And anyone seen a collar sit like this? Not happy at all.

Capt,
The bald area already appearing looks the most troubling to me as that's something you usually see on originals when dry rot sets in.
As for the collar popping up on one side, I've never seen that on an original or repro but you may be able to tame it with a little hot water treatment on the offending side.
FWIW, the color and texture of the mouton looks beautiful!