• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso RW 27752

blackrat2

Platoon that would be of interest to me for sure..I know that goat isn't for everyone but having seen one of johns jackets (via Ian)it does look amazing
So yes would be good to offer a goat contract IMO

A

Anonymous

the problem with goat is that BK is trying to keep costs down for all jackets
at the moment there is pleanty of stock in seal goatskin for the Navy jackets.
but getting into goatskin A-2s would reqiure BK to order russet goatskins,
which would be risky because it's very difficult to know if there will be sufficient demand for goatskin jackets...

Dr H

Feel free to disregard, but wouldn't it make better business sense to canvas opinion for other models (not covered by rival manufacturers) that could use your current supply of seal goatskin, before opening up another line?
You're going to find it difficult to displace GW or SFA for the Doniger A-2 IMHO.

ButteMT61

My amateur businessman thinks that BK are trying to do too much, too fast (as I've said before).
Still not much getting into customer's heads, and it makes no sense to expand when the supply chain is already pretty dry.
Get a small lineup ready. Get them to customers. Add slowly, but in a way that you can handle. So far, it's been a mess from a customer perspective. Or, potential customer.
I have no doubts the intentions are all good, but I could not in good conscience recommend BK knowing so little day to day on what's going on.
We've only seen a few jackets here and TFL, which isn't enough to gauge the outcome of an order.

A

Anonymous

I am not aware of any seal goatskin A-2 except the Spiewak and Perry. BK does not currently have original jacket from these contracts. Also the problem with Spiewak is that the name is taken.

My amateur businessman thinks that BK are trying to do too much, too fast (as I've said before).
Still not much getting into customer's heads, and it makes no sense to expand when the supply chain is already pretty dry.
Get a small lineup ready. Get them to customers. Add slowly, but in a way that you can handle. So far, it's been a mess from a customer perspective. Or, potential customer.
I have no doubts the intentions are all good, but I could not in good conscience recommend BK knowing so little day to day on what's going on.
We've only seen a few jackets here and TFL, which isn't enough to gauge the outcome of an order.

Sorry no. The best way is to do everything at the same time. As much as you can, as fast as you can. This is the only way progress can be achieved. Not by relaxing. Like if they drop you in the water and don't know how to swim, gotta keep moving, otherwise you will sink. If the customers are little confused it's not a problem, once we get everything to work like swiss clockwork they will stop being confused. In a time of crisis such as this we need to on the double. BK is being stalled by the suppliers and need to work twice as hard to be able to survive agaist the competition. Other makers are years and years ahead and there is no catching them if you don't run. So we run.

A

Anonymous

there's the 23383 too but it's a no name contract
but I doubt anyone wants a no name in goat
except maybe the man who has everything,
but how many are there?

blackrat2

Hi Platoon you asked if anyone would be interested in goat A2 and I am sure they would be as for logistics of leather colour I will bow down to your experience..as for contracts probably Ian is right,pick one that hasnt been done and open up a new avenue for potential buyers as stated some of the current offerings are going to be hard to beat especially as your aiming your jacket at a lower budget.
As stated the goat I have handled before is superb and having seen some of the BK HH jackets I am sure your goat contracts will still be of a high standard

Dr H

Was the Australian V-505 ever made in a darker goatskin?
Exotic and nobody else is making it...

Dr H

Jeff, I think that Andrew (in Queensland) has one. It was an Australian produced/issued jacket based very closely on the A-2 - it's a no frills/basic design. The ones that I've seen are usually russet (presumably horsehide?), but there's a nagging thought that I've seen a darker one (perhaps it was simply aged to a greater degree).

Here's one that went on EBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... _500wt_966).

Here's one from the Hat Place

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... ce2ce6508e (Lt. Gustl is a member here too).

Phantomfixer

Personally,
I would dig a seal goat with berry knits and contrasting thread. No name is fine. Gimme a good hide, good hardware, good fit, I'd be very happy...can you do it?
John

Andrew

Dr H said:
Jeff, I think that Andrew (in Queensland) has one. It was an Australian produced/issued jacket based very closely on the A-2 - it's a no frills/basic design. The ones that I've seen are usually russet (presumably horsehide?), but there's a nagging thought that I've seen a darker one (perhaps it was simply aged to a greater degree).

Here's one that went on EBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... _500wt_966).

Here's one from the Hat Place

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... ce2ce6508e (Lt. Gustl is a member here too).
That's the jacket I bought Ian, however that must have been the previous listing to the auction I won- it cost roughly half that from memory ( no wonder the seller was grumpy).
If anyone wants them I can post pics when I get back from Baaaaallliiii! (Hehehe, just thought if lob that in.... ;) )

kiltie

Here is the BK Rough Wear in the wild at 14,000+ feet :

IMG_7231_zps45e0cb52.jpg

Put a coat of saddle soap on the whole thing about a a week before this picture ( taken last Thursday ). It did wonders! I was beginning to get a little concerned that, after wearing and kneading and wearing araound the house for half the summer that the "squeak" was never going to go away completely. Saddle soap worked a charm, and softened it up a good deal, to boot.

Marv

kiltie said:
Here is the BK Rough Wear in the wild at 14,000+ feet :

IMG_7231_zps45e0cb52.jpg

Put a coat of saddle soap on the whole thing about a a week before this picture ( taken last Thursday ). It did wonders! I was beginning to get a little concerned that, after wearing and kneading and wearing araound the house for half the summer that the "squeak" was never going to go away completely. Saddle soap worked a charm, and softened it up a good deal, to boot.

nice.......where was the photo taken if you don't mind me asking. :)

kiltie

Marv said:

Here -

http://www.cograilway.com

Lot's of other neat touristy things to do around there, too, which I've been doing for about the last eight years. The purpose of my annual visits is the IAFF Fallen Firefighter Memorial, where I play bagpipes in the massed bands.

YoungMedic

kiltie said:
Marv said:

Here -

http://www.cograilway.com

Lot's of other neat touristy things to do around there, too, which I've been doing for about the last eight years. The purpose of my annual visits is the IAFF Fallen Firefighter Memorial, where I play bagpipes in the massed bands.

jacket looks sharp! Are you on the Job?