• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso RW 27752

kiltie

I've been bouncing around the site for a little while, soaking up a lot of the information posted and especially enjoying the pictures. Considering the amassed knowledge and impressive collections displayed on this forum, contributing seems a bit daunting, but not so much that i'd prefer to have that most dubious of internet forum handles: "lurker".
So here is my Bill Kelso Rough Wear 27752 -
For color/texture reference, also pictured are: WPG cotton tropical khaki, ATF service shoes, and a Diamond Cap Co. Flighter.

ooo.jpg
IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_6737.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

Zipper detail with flash -
IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6736.jpg

And a final comparison shot with a US Authentic (which, save for the thick leather, is really a good jacket with it's marginal authenticity) in their russet, with an original Luxenburg crusher for good measure -

oooo.jpg

It's tricky to write a serious review with little to compare this jacket to. What I can say: for a while, I had Real McCoys' Dunbow that was a bit more trim in the chest in the same size. While the leather of the RM was certainly nice, and I'm sure the details were fairly correct, the BK jacket feels considerably more rugged. It looks and feels like a working jacket.
As pictured, I've been wearing it around the house off and on, about an hour at a go, and kneading it a bit whilst watching the necessary inspirational movies ( Twelve O'Clock High, Battle of Britain...). It's about a million degrees during the day ( when it gets that high, it doesn't really matter whether it's measured in f or c ), so I've got another month for comfortable evening wear.
The customer service at Bill Kelso is top notch: emails were answered very quickly, and though I don't remember the exact time frame, I think the jacket left Greece on a Monday and got to Texas by Friday or Saturday, so, great shipping.
I'm pleased enough with the whole experience, from the jacket itself to the interaction with the BK folks, that I'm lining up to likely purchase the "house" jacket in russet.

kiltie

Looking back at my emails, I see I sent a "thanks" message on June 28, so maybe about a week before that, following detailed discussions about measurements, etc..., via email.
Also, I should add, this model was recommended to me, so I knew it was in stock before hand. I can't speak as to say, ordering the 23380 in russet, without confirming first that it's in stock. i.e., I don't know how long it takes to make a jacket. Correspondence with the BK folks is a breeze, though, and I'm sure all you're questions would get sorted out.

wop54

I love your BK! Really a top repro... And, by the way, what a nice collection you got there.. :)

ButteMT61

Yep, just add a sepia filter, tear the edges, and you have a $5k ebay grouping! Looks great. Well done.

mindful

i like the look of this one, nice the hide looks good and the colour is awesome but the knits look a bit odd .

kiltie

Thanks for the comments/compliments. I'm generally less into the hobby of collecting, as such, and more into the idea of the old flyers, in a sort of romantic, Kipling-esque sort of way*. But I am blessed enough to have a few nice things.

mindful said:
i like the look of this one, nice the hide looks good and the colour is awesome but the knits look a bit odd .

What's odd? The color? The knit itself? I'm not fine tuned enough to go to those sorts of nuances yet, generally seeing the whole picture, save for the obviously "contractual" details. So I've only got the US Authentic on hand to compare to and remembrance of the RM.

*without any misconceptions of how truly terrible the whole business really is. It never ceases to amaze and inspire, what a man will do under a particular set of circumstances. That's the attraction to me.

jollygreenslugg

That's a lovely jacket.

I'm glad to see that more and more Bill Kelso jackets are being shown and reviewed. It seems that they're reaching critical mass (as it were) with more and more being shown, which will hopefully result in more and more people choosing to buy one.

Me? I'm delighted and am planning my second.

Cheers,
Matt

kiltie

May I ask what your experience with other reproductions has been. As I said, I'm seriously considering a second, but there's still the nagging sense that I should really try an ELC, and honestly, I've got my fingers crossed that a Good Wear in my size will show up ( and it probably will, right after I drop it for a BK ).

Jeff M

kiltie said:
May I ask what your experience with other reproductions has been. As I said, I'm seriously considering a second, but there's still the nagging sense that I should really try an ELC, and honestly, I've got my fingers crossed that a Good Wear in my size will show up ( and it probably will, right after I drop it for a BK ).

I own both ELC and GW A2's.
Each makes fine jackets.
My preference is for GW. I love the leather John uses, the designs and implementation of those designs.
If you are purchasing new directly fron GW, John custom makes your jacket to your measurements, and the jacket is returnable if something didn't turn out right.
ELC deals primarily in "off the rack" sizing. They do offer "custom" work..but the jacket is then not returnable.

If you live in the US, an ELC "Authentic contract" A2 will run you as much (actually a few dollars more) as a Good Wear by the time you figure ELC does not deduct VAT for non UK buyers, the cost of shipping and customs fees.

The drawback with GW is the wait. Currently 8-10 months I believe from time of order placement.

kiltie

Jeff M said:
The drawback with GW is the wait. Currently 8-10 months I believe from time of order placement.

...and I hate to be a whiney such-and-such, but therein lies the rub: I can't drop that much scratch without instant gratification. I've read the lengthy thread on the (possibly) questionable nature of ELC's pricing. I should have said I was nosing about for a second hand one of those, as well. Which, of course, makes for another BIG reason to go for a second BK: the manufacturer's warranty.
Nice how these forums always seem to lead you to answering your own question when you've got a good sounding board.

Marv

ButteMT61 said:
Good things come to those who wait! You've got enough leather to hold you over! :p

I agree, my first Goodwear order is still in John's pipeline so to speak and I guess with the current wait time, I probably have about four to five more months left until the jacket goes into production but it will be worth it.

ausreenactor

Holy crap! A New BK is only AU$640 plus shipping? Might be a real quick flip on an ELC Monarch in the next month...

Couchy

m444uk

The hanger looks like goatskin to me.

IMG_6736.jpg

I had a rummage and found an old sample of horsehide from Aero that looks a bit like the wind flap so it could be horse, but other areas look like goat.

IMG_6737.jpg

A

Anonymous

looks like goatskin to me too
from the photo
but because I have touched it can tell you that it's not
the fact that it looks like goatskin is the reason why BK no longer offers it. Only a couple of jackets were made with it as it was a sample leather batch (and fired the middleman after that).