• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso RW 27752

A

Anonymous

Not pressed, you can't get that with pressing.
Also pressed have a repeating pattern and are more uniform.
This is not uniform anywhere. Nor there are any matching pieces.
I have no idea what they do to them and they won't say.

A

Anonymous

It happens that I have a pressed hide here,
I will show you in a moment

kiltie

I'm reluctant to advance this idea, because I really do like this jacket a good deal. However, what about this:

I've always been a big fan of having quality shoes. For many years, all I wore were Danners made in Oregon. Great shoes, and only wore two pairs over eight or ten years, at just under three hundred dollars a go. So imagine how surprised and excited I was to see a pair in the sporting goods store for $150.
Closer examination though, showed that these boots, made in China, were built from leather that had been stretched, thus causing a pebbling effect over the shoe. The $300 US made ones are smooth, one piece uppers. With the stretched leather, you can wring out more stuff, but get the "falsified" grain.

Do you think that might be it, PLATON? There are striations about the collar and a few other places, though VERY subtle, which might imply that's the case. And let me clarify: it's less a criticism, and more...curiosity.

m444uk

kiltie said:
I'm reluctant to advance this idea, because I really do like this jacket a good deal. However, what about this:

I've always been a big fan of having quality shoes. For many years, all I wore were Danners made in Oregon. Great shoes, and only wore two pairs over eight or ten years, at just under three hundred dollars a go. So imagine how surprised and excited I was to see a pair in the sporting goods store for $150.
Closer examination though, showed that these boots, made in China, were built from leather that had been stretched, thus causing a pebbling effect over the shoe. The $300 US made ones are smooth, one piece uppers. With the stretched leather, you can wring out more stuff, but get the "falsified" grain.

Do you think that might be it, PLATON? There are striations about the collar and a few other places, though VERY subtle, which might imply that's the case. And let me clarify: it's less a criticism, and more...curiosity.

No, the striations are just a stretch mark on the animals skin.

Car upholstery is a good example of a highly processed leather. To get conformity it's sanded flat and put through roller or press for a grain pattern.

What we are after for jackets is a top grain leather (not a split or sanded) where you can see the hair follicle pores and a bit of grain character showing through with wear.
The goatskin of your jacket looks good to my eyes.

A

Anonymous

Please see the pressed hide here:
http://postimage.org/image/lrd7mutex/

I really have no idea how they do it. I hear in some cases they throw in an enzyme (in sufficient quantity I supposed) in the drums during the tanning process and that this is causing a swelling, dilating, bulging (call it what you like) of the pores and grain of the hide. They still call the hide that results from that process 'natural'. Sure this way the grain is exaggerated, but is still the natural grain, meaning that it was not altered mechanically e.g. by pressing.
The above is a standard process that I know exists but I don't know exactly what they did to this leather. It could be that but the tannery won't say.

You can see how tough this hide is, only horsehide is this tough.

A

Anonymous

also, you can easily tell when a hide is pressed because they can never press the edges.
the edges are always smooth.
I have seen these skins before they were cut into jackets and the grain was everywhere, edges included.

kiltie

m444uk said:
kiltie said:

No, the striations are just a stretch mark on the animals skin.

Car upholstery is a good example of a highly processed leather. To get conformity it's sanded flat and put through roller or press for a grain pattern.

What we are after for jackets is a top grain leather (not a split or sanded) where you can see the hair follicle pores and a bit of grain character showing through with wear.
The goatskin of your jacket looks good to my eyes.

That's funny: when I quote you, I get an extra line - "The goatskin of your jacket looks good to my eyes." - Are you baiting me on my 5th or 6th post, or whatever it is? Heh heh... You'll have to do better than that. I'm a big boy, with a big boy job and everything.

Anywho, I know what stretch marks on hide look like, and perhaps "striation" was a poor choice of word. No, I'm talking about a distinctive mark made somewhere in the processing. And, once again, it's not detracting or otherwise bothersome, as I merely adds to the authenticity, in my eye. I just thought it might be a clue as to how the hide was developed.

EDIT: Ah - I see. The dig was an edit.
Rapier wit.

nogbat

i have an early bk rw in the smoth hide and its started to fade already and with the olive drab thread it looks good .. on par with elc easily,,,

Hobbstc

Jeff M said:
Hobbstc said:
Hope my BK Dubow looks this good whenever it gets here!

I've got an order in BK's que too.
When are you expecting yours?

No idea. Ordered it last week. Maybe Platon can help? Lol. Anyway they said about two weeks from order to ship and then probably another to Alabama.

Jeff M

Hobbstc said:
Jeff M said:
Hobbstc said:
Hope my BK Dubow looks this good whenever it gets here!

I've got an order in BK's que too.
When are you expecting yours?

No idea. Ordered it last week. Maybe Platon can help? Lol. Anyway they said about two weeks from order to ship and then probably another to Alabama.

Placed my order for a W&G 422 about 3 1/2 weeks ago.
Was told at that time it would ship 2 to 3 weeks after the order was placed. Haven't heard anything yet.
Hopefully not much longer now.

A

Anonymous

Sorry guys I don't know about your orders but if you let me know your real names I can check for you.

i have an early bk rw in the smoth hide and its started to fade already and with the olive drab thread it looks good .. on par with elc easily,,,

I saw many A-2s coming out of the BK shop but all were brand new. I 'd love to see how they age and how the color fades.
Please show your photos.

Phantomfixer

PLATON said:
looks like goatskin to me too
from the photo
but because I have touched it can tell you that it's not
the fact that it looks like goatskin is the reason why BK no longer offers it. Only a couple of jackets were made with it as it was a sample leather batch (and fired the middleman after that).

IMO Russet goat would be a good choice...even if it was/is horse

A

Anonymous

I was thinking about getting a Doniger original, or even a Cable.
Do you guys like/want goatskin jackets?