• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BILL KELSO N-1

Brent

20201103_072527.jpg

Here is a picture showing BR khaki on the left and an original, olive?, from Vietnam circa on the right.

Regards,

Grant

Mine is OD. I've never seen an original WWII or Korean War era N-1 that wasn't OD (or heavily faded OD) or navy blue. FWIW, the Bedford chord or jungle cloth fabric quickly faded to a khaki color with wear, so maybe that's why some think it was also make in khaki. My example is basically unworn with cutter tags still in the pocket, but the fabric shows areas of fading to a lighter OD/khaki color!
N11.jpg
N12.jpg
N13.jpg

zoomer

Looking at the website it appears Bill will not be offering the N-1 in sizes past 44.
He's using 13.5 oz jungle cloth - loomed only in Japan - which may put a limit on sizes.

ausreenactor

Mine is OD. I've never seen an original WWII or Korean War era N-1 that wasn't OD (or heavily faded OD) or navy blue. FWIW, the Bedford chord or jungle cloth fabric quickly faded to a khaki color with wear, so maybe that's why some think it was also make in khaki. My example is basically unworn with cutter tags still in the pocket, but the fabric shows areas of fading to a lighter OD/khaki color!

View attachment 46507View attachment 46508View attachment 46509

That is in fantastic shape!

ties70

Once again I get the impression that less and less of the companies are interested in the "big guys" business...

And I do not mean "big guys" in a sugar-coating way for "fat, obese and totally out of shape".

I am not really tall.
Ok, with 5´9 and 220lb one might expect a bowling ball....which I am actually not: For a comfortable fit I would need a jacket with a 50"/52" chest circumference, but my waist fits in W36 pair of jeans. As my broader shoulders make up for the longer arms and torso length of larger sizes, I never needed any adjustments to my jackets...

Is it asked too much to have regular 48 (not to mention a 50) sizes?!

adfrost

This seem to fall under the ever-present debate of wanting something that looks/emulates being time-worn (in this case OD faded to khaki) or something totally authentic. Which in this case would be an OD green that would likely never see enough hard wear to ever fade to khaki for many people.

Personally, I like that Bronson offers both, as I prefer khaki, even if it's not how they looked "out of the box". Now if they (and Kelso for that matter) would offer at least up to size 48...

B-Man2

I’m trying to figure out why an increasing number of jacket manufacturers limit their sizes to 44 these days . There’s Buzz, Bronson, Platon and now BK. Is it really the Asia markets or is it simply a money saving manufacturing choice, as the larger jackets require more time, and materials to produce . I mean why make a size 50 jacket and get the same profit return as a smaller jacket that costs less to make . I’m just posing the question as I really don’t understand the reasoning behind their decision on this issue.

B-Man2

Ok ... but.... I must be having a brain fart because, I’m still not getting how that would apply to the decision of say Buzz or Platon to limit the production of their jackets to a size 44 and no larger.

Otter

Buzz don't make anything, they have it contract manufactured. Their main market is the far east, making big sizes for an outlier market is only a tiny part of their market.

ties70

Buzz don't make anything, they have it contract manufactured. Their main market is the far east, making big sizes for an outlier market is only a tiny part of their market.

OK, you are saying that probably all three N-1 jackets (BR, Bronson, BK) come from the same manufacturer in Asia, maybe made with a variation of materials, but still "out of the same mold" or same set of patterns?

Sounds possible...haven't thought from that special angle, but economically it might make lots of sense....

Otter

I don't think Buzz use Chinese based jackets, the commission their own materials and use trusted 3rd party manufacturers to cut and stitch. That is why the supply runs are so small on some items, when the materials are gone, then that's it ! Only the weird sizes are left.

B-Man2

Ok ... got it now... Thanks for walking me through that Otter:)