• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BILL KELSO N-1

Grant

Thats a good looking N-1 @Grant! Would you mind posting a pic of your new brass Talon??

Apologies for the late reply, Wei. Here's a pic of the brass 50's Talon slider (left) that replaces the repro puller (right). Something only a zipper nerd like me would appreciate. Luckily it slides smoothly on the reproduction zip teeth. By the way, this repro N-1 has proven quite warm with all the cold and snow we've had in NYC the past week.

N1.jpg

MaydayWei

Apologies for the late reply, Wei. Here's a pic of the brass 50's Talon slider (left) that replaces the repro puller (right). Something only a zipper nerd like me would appreciate. Luckily it slides smoothly on the reproduction zip teeth. By the way, this repro N-1 has proven quite warm with all the cold and snow we've had in NYC the past week.

No worries, Grant. Looks very apposite for your N-1; with some great patina! @ausreenactor is absolutely right, the little details matter the most.
We wouldn't be here if we weren't zipper nerds.
Talon M85, no?

MaydayWei

I want to explain this product. First of all, they did a great job. But what I want to tell you is that it has nothing to do with Bill Kelso. They are from another excellent manufacturer in China. Bill Kelso is just purchasing their products.

We've already discussed this.
BK simply distributes the GIZEMO N-1 and M-51 jackets and their various attachments.

zoomer

I want to explain this product. First of all, they did a great job. But what I want to tell you is that it has nothing to do with Bill Kelso. They are from another excellent manufacturer in China. Bill Kelso is just purchasing their products.
I'm not surprised...Andy from BK just wrote me to say there will be no sizes past 44. I suspect the heavyweight bedford cord (13oz) is not available to vendors outside Asia, or there are other issues such as bolt width.

ausreenactor

G'day...

Are you tied in with Bronson production or retail? Or a mega fan of the brand?

Couchy...

taiAtari

I swear that looks like the cord has been reversed so the ribbing is on the inside. Cockpit did that with their 37J1s. Suppose there's a reason?

I've just received an OD N-1 in 44 from Gizemo directly and this doesn't seem to be the case. If I try to look through the underarm vent holes at the back of the armpit fabric it doesn't show up any cording or ribbing. Pictures with and without flash:

20210302_214601.jpg
20210302_214645.jpg

zoomer

I'm not surprised...Andy from BK just wrote me to say there will be no sizes past 44. I suspect the heavyweight bedford cord (13oz) is not available to vendors outside Asia, or there are other issues such as bolt width.
Andy replied again recently. The whole explanation is that the maker will only produce Asian sizes, period.

taiAtari

I was still intrigued by the obviously wider ribbing of the jungle/bedford cloth than usually seen in N-1 deck jackets (in the 100 % alpaca version). Apparently it is based on a somewhat rare, (heavier?) and more coarse version of the fabric used in this particular nxsx 80453 contract. Quite interesting. Found some images of an original online that seem to confirm this:

1_000000001941.jpg
14_000000001941.jpg
13_000000001941.jpg
20_000000001941.jpg
17_000000001941.jpg
23_000000001941.jpg

Last edited:

Grant

Great reference photos, thanks for posting! I wonder if this contract had the under arm loops for the overall straps, like the earlier blue N-1.

Grant

Then Kelso get's it right by not having them! Thanks again for the reference picks!

taiAtari

It's be awesome if GIZEMO would come out with the early war navy blue N-1 with the stencil on the back.
I totally dig my Kelso/Gizemo Korean War era N-1!

On the Gizemo new products on taobao page there are now several new versions of the N-1 up for ordering. Early dark blue with U.S. NAVY stencil on the back, a khaki one and some khaki and OD versions with custom stencils and patches. All full alpaca lining, details and quality look very good and correct for the types depicted.

bseal

@Grant

Last edited: