• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BILL KELSO N-1

colekwok

Label switch/replication.

Like a Chevrolet badge on a Holden here or a Pontiac badge on a Holden in the USA.

Oh, I thought he was saying 'batch' engineering.

Like I said, it may be an OEM product sourced from Asia. For the Japanese and Asian market, you rarely have people requiring anything larger than 44, which makes sense. As for why they don't make larger sizes, some makers simply charge more for bigger sizes because of the extra materials used, I guess particularly in leather jackets. Custom jacket makers such as BK should be able to do that easily with their online ordering system, well, if they want to, that is.

By the way, some manufacturers actually mark down their sizing depends on their distributing countries. If you get a size M Uniqlo labelled sweater in Japan, it may only equates to a size S labelled of the same sweater selling in their UK shops.

Kevin.Two

Oh, I thought he was saying 'batch' engineering.

Like I said, it may be an OEM product sourced from Asia. For the Japanese and Asian market, you rarely have people requiring anything larger than 44, which makes sense. As for why they don't make larger sizes, some makers simply charge more for bigger sizes because of the extra materials used, I guess particularly in leather jackets. Custom jacket makers such as BK should be able to do that easily with their online ordering system, well, if they want to, that is.

By the way, some manufacturers actually mark down their sizing depends on their distributing countries. If you get a size M Uniqlo labelled sweater in Japan, it may only equates to a size S labelled of the same sweater selling in their UK shops.

Yep, especially true for the Japanese repro makers (RMC, FW, etc.). I'm a true 38, but almost all of my jackets are in a size 40.

B-Man2

Nick
Good Luck with it.
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out .
Do they list a time frame for delivery?

zoomer

China, especially, supplies the world. If they don't make something in a Western size range, it's because they really do not f%@!!ing want to. It could be because the cost/benefit ratio flips with bigger sizes, or because the potential Western market will never be big enough.

MaydayWei

Hey guys,

Just got an email from BK on the turnaround for their new N-1s.
The email states: "The jacket will ship about one week after your order is received and transit time is about 3-4 weeks as it ships from mainland China."
That sounds pretty quick to me, but I'm not sure how accurate this time quote is; especially considering the massive delays experienced by other members in our forum on the "Bill Kelso, What's happening?" thread.
But I'd love to know what you all think.
It may well be that BK can make and ship out N1s quickly because they currently have the materials they require to make N1s on hand, but do not the materials required for the other jackets they're having huge delays on. Just a theory, though.

dinomartino1

Looks identical to an N-1 which I have seen before on Taobao made by a shop called Gizemo which sells in China for GBP 179.
BK site appears to use some of Gizemo's photos.
Same Waldes zip.
50 % wool
50% alpaca

All the photos are from Gizemo.
Sizing seems to be identical.
Gizmo size chart.
O1CN01zSdToQ1Dt4kzAr7Eg_!!64780273.jpg

BK size chart
N-1 SIZEShoulder widthChest
Back length
Sleeve length
3645 cm110 cm68 cm61 cm
3847 cm114 cm69 cm62 cm
4049 cm118 cm70 cm63 cm
4251 cm124 cm72 cm64 cm
4453 cm128 cm74 cm65 cm

O1CN01TpWnsE1Dt4lFVc8ET_!!64780273.jpg

O1CN01DBefJO1Dt4l6y9RsR_!!64780273.jpg

O1CN01zSdToQ1Dt4kzAr7Eg_!!64780273 (2).jpg

O1CN01UoxjFA1Dt4l1O58I0_!!64780273 (4).jpg

O1CN01LhQl0x1Dt4l7dLv0l_!!64780273.jpg

O1CN01NWCHac1Dt4l3aS7Tx_!!64780273.jpg

O1CN01UoxjFA1Dt4l1O58I0_!!64780273.jpg

Last edited:

dinomartino1

I am not %100 certain, I may be wrong, but BK appears to be reselling gizemo's jacket or having them made by them, I have not seen the exact same N1 on Taobao sold by anyone else except Gizemo and Taobao is awash with N1's.
Eastman Aero ,BK, buzz rickson etc. are sold by stores on Taobao at greater prices than we pay which makes me doubt this is a BK jacket.
Made in China does not bother me, I don't hear many complaints about buzz rickson's and the majority of their stuff is made in China.
People only seem to have a problem when a Chinese company sells Chinese made.

Last edited:

dinomartino1

From Gizemo with a poor translation

O1CN01eu2Io91Dt4l1kQO35_!!64780273.jpg

1ST
NAF, late 1930s, and April 1939.
2ST
DECK HOOK, April 1943.
3ST
N-1 (first generation N-1, Dark Blue , Pure camel hair Neri ) delivered in September 1943
The original contract number is NXSS 22342, manufactured by Popular Mfg Co, New York, NY
N-1( 2nd generation N-1, Dark / light olive green , cardigan , pure camel hair Neri ) delivered April 1944
The contract number at the beginning of NXSX starts at NXSX 38049, manufactured by Drybak Corp, Binghamton, NY
N-1 (3rd generation N-1, Dark / Light Olive Green , Card color ,
Pure llama wool Neri / llama wool mixed spinning Neri) approximate time November 1944 delivery
Contract numbers from NXSX to N-140 ,etc., N140 at the beginning of the same number is used at the end of the 40-year generation and at the beginning of the 50-year generation

MaydayWei

@dinomartino1
Christ, thanks for that info! If you had not done the due diligence, I would have totally missed that.
I knew the turnaround times sounded incredibly suspicious; and you've gone right ahead and proven why.
Thank you very much for that input, really sheds a whole lot of light and perspective on the 'BK" N-1.
What you've suggested may not be the actual case, but it's very good you brought that to our attention. Thanks mate!

ausreenactor

I am not %100 certain, I may be wrong, but BK appears to be reselling gizemo's jacket or having them made by them, I have not seen the exact same N1 on Taobao sold by anyone else except Gizemo and Taobao is awash with N1's.
Eastman Aero ,BK, buzz rickson etc. are sold by stores on Taobao at greater prices than we pay which makes me doubt this is a BK jacket.
Made in China does not bother me, I don't hear many complaints about buzz rickson's and the majority of their stuff made is in China.
People only seem to have a problem when a Chinese company sells Chinese made.
Ask a veiled question on the BK Facebook page?

dinomartino1

@dinomartino1
Christ, thanks for that info! If you had not done the due diligence, I would have totally missed that.
I knew the turnaround times sounded incredibly suspicious; and you've gone right ahead and proven why.
Thank you very much for that input, really sheds a whole lot of light and perspective on the 'BK" N-1.
What you've suggested may not be the actual case, but it's very good you brought that to our attention. Thanks mate!

It still looks like a very good jacket, BK should be more open about it being sourced in China if that is the case, I have no issue with that but many will, a sad reflection of our own irrational prejudices {there is one member here of Chinese nationalist heritage in his case I can understand].
Even the mention of China will send many into a fit of apoplexy so I can understand why there is no mention of that on the BK site but many BK customers will be under the impression that they are getting a BK made jacket which may not be the case.
BK only sates that their LEATHER jackets are made in Greece so by that statement they have not erred, some may consider it a sin of omission though.
The same asian model shown in Gizemos photos appears in most of their other product photos, they are not using somebodies else pictures, they are their own brand and they are the same photos BK uses with the obvious omission of an Asian wearing the jacket.

Like I have said all the facts are not known, I have provided what info I know to help others make an informed decision about whether they want to buy or not.

D97x7

Well I'm not going to be cancelling even if I could source it cheaper elsewhere, that's life really, happens all the time. I was told I could have bought my Bronson B-10 a lot cheaper on Taobao as well.