• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

ZuZu

Not that famous but what a jacket!

afb8b5784beb34a8981bff8016407e06.png

Silver Surfer

90% sure it's a Spiewak. Always with the raised epaulets. When I moved to SF in 1978 I was able to get 2 Spiewaks with thick goatskin. I spent hours wetting the eps and trying to get them to flatten out...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
epps pop up because the body front, back or both shrank,, and because the epps are double layered, they do not shrink in proportion to the rest of the hides.

ZuZu

epps pop up because the body front, back or both shrank,, and because the epps are double layered, they do not shrink in proportion to the rest of the hides.

Spiewak eps pop up because they are 1/4" or so longer than the shoulder seam they cover. All spiewaks I've seen have this characteristic. I'm pretty sure they were sewn this way for some odd reason. On other contracts the eps pop up for the same reason or because of the shrinkage you mention or whatever. Rough Wears and Aeros often have eps that pop up but it isn't inevitable- some stick to the shoulder seam.

Grant

That reminds me: my United Sheeplined does it as well. Given that USL, Bronco and Spiewak were all owned by one family, that seems significant.
That's cool! Where did you read they were all owned by the same family?
Someone told me Bronco and HLB (both in NYC) were the same family.
Also the family that owned Aero had a squabble and some split and crossed the Hudson starting their own company - Werber Sportswear.

B-Man2

That's cool! Where did you read they were all owned by the same family?
Someone told me Bronco and HLB (both in NYC) were the same family.
Also the family that owned Aero had a squabble and some split and crossed the Hudson starting their own company - Werber Sportswear.