• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

Chandler

Try and find an original one of those today.
They seem to have dried up here in the US
Um... I have one that I plan to put up for sale soon -- if anyone is interested. :)

Doesn't fit me, won't fit you Burt. Probably a US 40 or 42. Let me find pics...

Hauptmann rank tabs.
DYKDfQ0.jpg

Abf8J2N.jpg

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

It is a bit easier here in Germany ;) But they are gettin' more rare these days too. Are you looking for one? I might have some sources...
Cyril if you find any that don't require a mortgage payment your a better man than me haha I used to see racks full of them on my travels around Europe

Cyril

It is a bit easier here in Germany ;) But they are gettin' more rare these days too. Are you looking for one
Cyril if you find any that don't require a mortgage payment your a better man than me haha I used to see racks full of them on my travels around Europe
I know a shop here which is selling a NOS jacket (XL long) including a flightoverall for 220€ (no patches, just flags ;))...
+ some more interesting stuff

Last edited:

B-Man2

It is a bit easier here in Germany ;) But they are gettin' more rare these days too. Are you looking for one? I might have some sources...
Hi Cyril
I’d first have to learn a bit about them as I have no idea of price range and how to tell a repro from an original . I’d wear a larger size 46 and if you happen to come across one I’d appreciate the info.
Thanks
Burt

Chandler

To be honest, i am not such an expert on these jackets but the originals certainly show a white label with Bundeswehr-size on it (Size 14 for example). Nobody outside of the army understands those sizes, so often replicas just show a "real leather" patch and a size-label as L/XL etc.
Here is a translation for BW-sizes:

View attachment 85907
What can you translate from the tag on mine?

Cyril

Um... I have one that I plan to put up for sale soon -- if anyone is interested. :)

Doesn't fit me, won't fit you Burt. Probably a US 40 or 42. Let me find pics...

Hauptmann rank tabs.
DYKDfQ0.jpg

Abf8J2N.jpg
Its an original, according to the BW-sizetable Gr.9 is comparable to (XL)/Size 52/Breast volume 105cm (41,3 Inches), for people of 175 to 185cm height (5 ft.7- 6ft.) made in march 1982.
You would certainly find copies of these jackets, but maybe not patched like that. In Germany i saw Jackets like that from 100 to 400€, but as i stated you just find them more easily here. They may be rare birds in the US...

Chandler

Its an original, according to the BW-sizetable Gr.9 is comparable to (XL)/Size 52/Breast volume 105cm (41,3 Inches), for people of 175 to 185cm height (5 ft.7- 6ft.) made in march 1982.
I thought that's what I gleaned from that chart too, but there's no way my jacket is an XL -- at least in U.S. sizes.

Thanks for the input -- I'll move away from the off-topic posting on this thread -- may have to start a new one for Flieger Jacke interest.

Cyril

I thought that's what I gleaned from that chart too, but there's no way my jacket is an XL -- at least in U.S. sizes.

Thanks for the input -- I'll move away from the off-topic posting on this thread -- may have to start a new one for Flieger Jacke interest.
Yes, it is a bit weird, but following the chart you would find several XL-sizes depending on your height. So maybe XL for someone who is 5ft.7? ...not knowing your jackets measurments