• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

mulceber

That's cool! Where did you read they were all owned by the same family?
Someone told me Bronco and HLB (both in NYC) were the same family.

It wouldn't surprise me if HLB was part of that whole family, although I hadn't heard that: another military contractor for outerwear from NY with those beveled pocket corners.

Also the family that owned Aero had a squabble and some split and crossed the Hudson starting their own company - Werber Sportswear.
Yeah, I remember reading that in Gary's book. IIRC, a little later on, the Werber factory burned down and there were accusations that it was arson and the owners of Aero were behind it.

ZuZu

That reminds me: my United Sheeplined does it as well. Given that USL, Bronco and Spiewak were all owned by one family, that seems significant.

I've noticed that Uniteds do it a bit also. That being said I've seen some that don't. e.g.:
front_view.jpg

with Spiewaks it almost seems that there was a very specific process that caused the eps to pop up with little rolls at the X box. e.g.:

collar.jpg

I used to think they literally put something under the ep but that's dumb. I think the eps were made extra long with extra moist goatskin and the squished down during packing. Maybe. It's weird how universal it is among Spiewaks. Uniteds may have been constructed the same way (although with the underepaulet seam) but since they are horsehide the effect may not have been as obvious. Definitely a family resemblance and I agree many Uniteds have the same poppy eps.

ZuZu

That reminds me: my United Sheeplined does it as well. Given that USL, Bronco and Spiewak were all owned by one family, that seems significant.

I think you're right about Uniteds. I didn't realize that Spiewaks also had the covered shoulder seam. I bet they were the same construction, just that the Uniteds calmed down sometimes because of less supple horsehide.