• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

Pilot

Hardy Krueger..

one of the few German actors of international format and stardom:

View attachment 24878

From 1941, he went to an elitist Nazi school at the Ordensburg Sonthofen. At age 15, Hardy made his film début in a German picture, The Young Eagles, but his acting career was interrupted when he was conscripted into the Wehrmacht in 1944 at age 16.

In March 1945, Krüger was conscripted into the SS where he was drawn into heavy fighting. The 16-year-old Krüger was ordered to eliminate a group of American soldiers. When he refused, he was sentenced to death for cowardice, but another SS officer stopped the order. Krüger described this experience as his break with Nazism. He later served as a messenger for the SS, but he escaped and hid out in Austria until the end of the war.

He later filmed with Jimmie Stewart in Flight of the Phoenix or with a full set of stars in A bridge too far...

He is today a frequent speaker against extremism and for democracy, also citing his own experiences.
Another movie Hardy Krüger played

MikeyB-17

Has anyone seen Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood? They shot DiCaprio on green screen, dressed in a wardrobe identical to what McQueen wore in the 1963 movie. Leonardo then read the identical lines McQueen said in the scene, which features the famous line Hilts says to a German colonel: "I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or from the air, and I plan on doing both before the war is over." The challenge was making sure they were shooting at the right height and using the right lenses. Sorry for the fuzzy screen grab but I haven't seen the film yet, but look forward to it.

View attachment 24964
Make sure nobody tells you the ending! :D
I've never been able to figure out what was going on with McQueen and his 'Captain Hilts' line, or the rank under the collar business. He's got Captain's bars on his shoulders, why not just point to one? If he did have bars under the collar (why would he?), there would be a pair of clasps on the other side. There aren't. So there isn't anything under that collar except a press stud to show to the German. My guess is it was a McQueen ad lib.

Smithy

Ah, sorry Smithy if you already mentioned it. The cinematographer was Robert Richardson, so I'm sure the film looked great.
Of course the A-2 nerd in me was wondering who make the A-2 DiCaprio was wearing.

No worries Grant. I was wondering the same about who made the jacket when I was sitting in the movie!

Definitely see it, it's an enjoyable flick.

Maverickson

Hi All,

From the 1943 release of AIR FORCE. As seen Gig Young wearing his pre War civilian made A-2.

A-2 With Half Gusset.jpg

Note that this movie's initial production dated May of 1942. This was an early WW-2 Warner Bros. War movie. No doubt so early that the studios would not have been able to source much in the way of true U.S.A.A. issue jackets. Apparently, a number of these remarkable civilian model A-2 jackets as seen worn by Gig Young were sourced by the studio for the movie and quite a few of these same jackets can be seen worn by cast members.

These same civilian made A-2 jackets that were used to make AIR FORCE were then obviously made readily available for other movies through Warner Bros. Wardroom Department. As evidenced by subsequent movies I've also seen made by Warner Bros. All using these same particular civilian type A-2 jackets.

Fortunately, I have been able add one of these same pre War civilian made A-2 jackets to my collection. Not to mention, in my size and allow me to critique it. These jackets are quite an interesting design. A true upgrade and very comfortable to wear as compared to all other A-2 jackets I've handled.

In addition, I was able to date my same A-2 jacket. It came equipped with a M-39 model blackened brass Talon. Thanks to Grant and his fine all original M-422, that particular Talon zip was found to be the exact same model zip as used by W&G for at least one the the three W&G pre War USN M-422 jacket contracts.

Note the half gusset seen at Gig Young's A-2 jacket's under arm. Ultimately, a much more innovative and complicated A-2 jacket design. An upgrade & obviously not chosen to be utilize by the U.S.A.A. for their issue A-2 jackets made during WW-2. My guess is that following WW-2 most all A-2 makers bypassed that upgraded version of the A-2 design to opt for the WW-2 issue set up. Ultimately, what became the standard design for most all subsequent A-2 jackets.

By using my civilian A-2 & same seen worn by Gig Young, along with several other originals (all of which predate WW-2) from this same civilian jacket maker I have taken the time to do a study & develop those half gussets in all jacket sizes. Now used for my upgraded vintage reproduction jacket builds.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

herk115

That picture of McQueen in the cooler doesn't look like the name tag says "V. Hilts," but I can't get a clear look at it.

Silver Surfer

anybody able to bring up the two pix of kirk douglas wearing what looks to be a 16160 aero? the first one is of him sitting, on a set , and the other is of him shaking hands with floyd patterson? on front of a theater on broadway, nyc...i think. i would reckon that the pix are from 1952-56.

Spitfireace

Thought Errol Flynn was famous for something else other than his flight jacket! What is it about McQueen, how did he always look cool whatever he wore, certainly had it spades whatever it was, charisma? Newman's up there too IMO, a really nice bloke too from what I've read.
According to IMDB Steve McQueen was five nine and a half. I always figured he was a six footer at least. He's larger than life!