• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

taikonaut

He has also got the Steve McQueen Great Escape sweatshirt going on with the Jacket . I wonder does he have captains bars under the collar ?.

Bip

Well spotted. The jacket does look like a 50 Cal, not the ELC Great Escape. Tarantino is not the sort of person who like to be told especially what he should wear so I doubt he hire a stylist. Its most likely he is a McQueen fan, visited a ELC stockist, tried a few jackets and got them to handle the order from ELC and sourced the sweater from the store.

ausreenactor

Well spotted. The jacket does look like a 50 Cal, not the ELC Great Escape. Tarantino is not the sort of person who like to be told especially what he should wear so I doubt he hire a stylist. Its most likely he is a McQueen fan, visited a ELC stockist, tried a few jackets and got them to handle the order from ELC and sourced the sweater from the store.

That's it! I'm calling it. He is doing a remake of The Great Escape 'Once Upon A Time In a POW Camp'.

taikonaut

Old fogey actors:)
vet_eastwood.jpg

Bombing IP

Interesting how he has a symbol of black oppression on his arm.

That flag on his arm is the battle flag of Northern Virginia when elongated and dark blue field .When the flag is square it is the second Confederate Navy Jack in use from 1863 to 1865 and has a lighter blue .

Jeff

Last edited:

Bombing IP

Well that's the connotation it has today and is used by the modern day neo Nazi's in Germany today as there flag is illegal to use . I do not want to get to political but your fist observation and statement was correct . I just wanted to give some background to the flag ,incidentally there was one American Army division that wore a Swastika on their uniform !.Well it was the 45th division and it was changed to a thunderbird in 1939 .

Jeff

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Well of course we know the swastika was originally a symbol of good luck used by the Navajo culture and before that an South Asian symbol. No I didn't want to get political here but it was a glaring thing to me, akin to a Jew wearing a swastika. Kanye has said that "slavery was a choice". Not sure how it is a choice if you have you a gun pointed at you, but that's his opinion.

ties70

Last week I went to see an old favourite band of mine, Spear of Destiny, for the first time in about 35 years. A bloody good night it was too, and after rekindling my interest, I found a shot of Kirk Brandon wearing a CWU-36/P. He looks like Charlie Drake these days, but the voice is still there.
http://instagr.am/p/BoQChQgnPoh/

Mikey,

thank you so much for reminding me of Spear of Destiny!!

I must have listened to "So in love with you" for hours and hours...

Ties

ties70

Hardy Krueger..

one of the few German actors of international format and stardom:

From 1941, he went to an elitist Nazi school at the Ordensburg Sonthofen. At age 15, Hardy made his film début in a German picture, The Young Eagles, but his acting career was interrupted when he was conscripted into the Wehrmacht in 1944 at age 16.

In March 1945, Krüger was conscripted into the SS where he was drawn into heavy fighting. The 16-year-old Krüger was ordered to eliminate a group of American soldiers. When he refused, he was sentenced to death for cowardice, but another SS officer stopped the order. Krüger described this experience as his break with Nazism. He later served as a messenger for the SS, but he escaped and hid out in Austria until the end of the war.

He later filmed with Jimmie Stewart in Flight of the Phoenix or with a full set of stars in A bridge too far...

He is today a frequent speaker against extremism and for democracy, also citing his own experiences.

Last edited:

Grant

Has anyone seen Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood? They shot DiCaprio on green screen, dressed in a wardrobe identical to what McQueen wore in the 1963 movie. Leonardo then read the identical lines McQueen said in the scene, which features the famous line Hilts says to a German colonel: "I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or from the air, and I plan on doing both before the war is over." The challenge was making sure they were shooting at the right height and using the right lenses. Sorry for the fuzzy screen grab but I haven't seen the film yet, but look forward to it.

Once.png

Smithy

Has anyone seen Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood? They shot DiCaprio on green screen, dressed in a wardrobe identical to what McQueen wore in the 1963 movie. Leonardo then read the identical lines McQueen said in the scene, which features the famous line Hilts says to a German colonel: "I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or from the air, and I plan on doing both before the war is over." The challenge was making sure they were shooting at the right height and using the right lenses. Sorry for the fuzzy screen grab but I haven't seen the film yet, but look forward to it.

View attachment 24964

Hi Grant,

I mentioned this scene in a thread for the movie that I started in the "Life Beyond the Internet" bit on here.

I loved the film, it's got a huge amount of references to popular culture and movies from the 60s.

Grant

Ah, sorry Smithy if you already mentioned it. The cinematographer was Robert Richardson, so I'm sure the film looked great.
Of course the A-2 nerd in me was wondering who make the A-2 DiCaprio was wearing.