• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATF's 'new' B-10 & B-15 are now available

Adama36

How does the quality of the fabric, the lining and the collar of your ATF B10 compares to an original B10?
how does it compare to a high end repro from Buzz Rickson or even one from Bronson?

Smithy

How does the quality of the fabric, the lining and the collar of your ATF B10 compares to an original B10?
how does it compare to a high end repro from Buzz Rickson or even one from Bronson?

The outer fabric is of a very similar weight to an original. I've only handled two, one at the aviation museum I used to work for and one at a militaria dealer back in Melbourne. Comparing the lining is silly because it's fleece not alpaca, the same as their fleece tanker jacket.

It's not a BR but then it's a quarter of the price. Is it therefore 25% as accurate as the BR? No, more like 80 to 90.

If you want a stitch for stitch replica then the ATF isn't it, but then it isn't really marketed that way is it. If you want an exceedingly hardwearing jacket that is warm, comfortable and more than a good nod to an original B-10, it's worth considering.

Chandler

FWIW -- Rollin has mentioned that ATF is using a new manufacturer and many of the new jackets and coats are not like any of the past items that were offered -- so there may not be any true apples to apples comparison to be done.

If you look at the detail images at the website, the B-10 & B-15 lining is not the same fleece as the Tankers -- the 2 AAF jackets look "furry," though we all know it's probably synthetic.

But I think @Smithy is spot on: pricepoint is the bottom line here. I'm impressed with my ATF Tankers and their construction, I think Rollin is a stickler for offering a well-made product, and I'll bet these 2 new ones will be great for non-stitch fascists.

Smithy

Spot on Chandler. These need to be approached with the same mind as his fleece lined tankers.

That reminds me, I really should pick up a fleece tanker when they're next on sale. Everybody here who has one has pretty much raved about them.

stanier

I don't mean to be contravercial or unkind, but... "artificial fur" and a slim waistband (to my eye) are the first reasons to pass...

stanier

The outer fabric is of a very similar weight to an original. I've only handled two, one at the aviation museum I used to work for and one at a militaria dealer back in Melbourne. Comparing the lining is silly because it's fleece not alpaca, the same as their fleece tanker jacket.

It's not a BR but then it's a quarter of the price. Is it therefore 25% as accurate as the BR? No, more like 80 to 90.

If you want a stitch for stitch replica then the ATF isn't it, but then it isn't really marketed that way is it. If you want an exceedingly hardwearing jacket that is warm, comfortable and more than a good nod to an original B-10, it's worth considering.
That seems very fair Tim

Chandler

I don't mean to be contravercial or unkind, but... "artificial fur" and a slim waistband (to my eye) are the first reasons to pass...
Once again, they're not stitch-for-stitch repros -- and the prices reflect that.

I've had what were supposed to be superior repros, and priced as such, that were much further from exact than these new jackets.

stanier

Once again, they're not stitch-for-stitch repros -- and the prices reflect that.

I've had what were supposed to be superior repros, and priced as such, that were much further from exact than these new jackets.
I get that, it's clear already and what I intended to reflect. Apologies if my post came across otherwise. Again, for me I will pass.

Smithy

Yeah the artificial fur won't be for everyone just like the fleece lined tankers turn some off Chris.

In terms of the waist knit, I just dragged out Bianchi's "Flight Gear" and the ATF looks passable compared to the originals in that.

That seems very fair Tim

I think that's exactly the thing mate. If you want ultimate accuracy then you need to look elsewhere - BR, ELC. If you have an ATF fleece tanker and like it or are OK with that kind of "homage" to originals then the ATF is probably worth considering.

The one I do the work in is actually starting to look rather good, it's got a couple of grease and oil stains, the odd scratch and whathaveyou. Both the originals I handled were rather dirty and knocked around - hardly surprising though, WWII vintage aircraft are/were dirty with oil, grease and lots of sharp metal to catch and rub against.

Maybe I should offer a weathering service for flight jackets!

stanier

Yeah the artificial fur won't be for everyone just like the fleece lined tankers turn some off Chris.

In terms of the waist knit, I just dragged out Bianchi's "Flight Gear" and the ATF looks passable compared to the originals in that.

I think that's exactly the thing mate. If you want ultimate accuracy then you need to look elsewhere - BR, ELC. If you have an ATF fleece tanker and like it or are OK with that kind of "homage" to originals then the ATF is probably worth considering.

The one I do the work in is actually starting to look rather good, it's got a couple of grease and oil stains, the odd scratch and whathaveyou. Both the originals I handled were rather dirty and knocked around - hardly surprising though, WWII vintage aircraft are/were dirty with oil, grease and lots of sharp metal to catch and rub against.

Maybe I should offer a weathering service for flight jackets!
I'd like to react with Like and HaHa! Wonderful Tim. Cheers

Smithy

Actually for those after a very high accuracy repro, does anyone remember that one that JC knocked up a few years back with one of those CBI transport outfit patches on it?

That really looked the goods.

Grant

Fake fur lining, lame repro zip and exposed zipper on a B-10, not for me. Excellent for what they are is not why I'm into this crazy hobby, but that's just my 2 cents. I'd much rather buy a second hand Eastman or old Real McCoy's. Then again, there's a reason why those are so difficult to find.

Brettafett

Ive been looking for a secondhand ELC B-10 in a 42 for ages. These never come up.
Secondhand Buzz's often do, but one never knows what condition it is coming from Japan, and then ones from the US/ UK... $$££ may as well buy another Bronson.