• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are The Real McCoy fighter jackets really worth the price tag?

Kermit3D

I’ve tried the size 8 and 10 in aviation leathercraft. 10 is too bulky. 8 too tight around chest. But generally their pelts are too bulky. McCoy pelts are 1/4 inch wool which is wearable.

The 1/4 inch fleece is specific to the B-6 jacket.
Eastman Leather and Goodwear Leather also make their B-6s with this specificity.
Beware, Aero Leather did not take this "detail" into account on their B-6... so it is bulkier.

The B-6 is an intermediate jacket. It is less bulky than the heavy jackets like B-3, ANJ-4, Irvin, ...
This is to facilitate the mobility of pilots in a narrow cockpit.

mulceber

Although to be fair to them, the jacket they're reproducing there is one of the early Aeros. They can't use the Aero name, so I guess Rough Wear is as good as any other name. It is a tad misleading though.

Oh ! well seen ! :cool:

So John Chapmann is wrong ? :eek:

What contract is this picture of ? I can't find any pictures of the Poughkeepsie contract... maybe the Poughkeepsie has straps on the sides ?

Or Arnoff was a bit inconsistent in how they constructed it. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

MikeyB-17

Thanks Mike. Which McCoy jackets do you own or have tried on?
I don’t own any now. I used to have an M-422a by Real McCoys Japan which was a stunner. Quite possibly the nicest repro I’ve ever owned, and I shudder to think what it would cost in today’s market. Like a fool, as one does, I sold it.

Kermit3D

3000 £ for a B-6 jacket... that's over 4000 $... you decide.
At that price, be sure the size fits perfectly. I don't want you to take my comment the wrong way, but from the picture you posted of you with the B-6 RMC (by the way, that picture has disappeared), I'm not sure that the size is ideal. But after all, it's your feeling that's most important. ;)

Kermit3D

The picture is no longer visible but from what I remember the jacket looked too big indeed.
What is surprising is that you seem to feel a restriction to move your arms, it should not happen with a jacket too large.
Could you please repost the photo ?

Kermit3D

I think it's a little too large. Maybe that's why you have a stiff/tight feeling in your arms.
Have you had the opportunity to try the size down?

I'll let others give their opinion

Kermit3D

If it helps, here is a picture of a woman wearing a perfectly fitting B-6 :

B6-flight-jacket-1.png

mulceber

I'll let others give their opinion

Yep, I agree. The shoulder seams are hanging off your shoulders. There’s a little bit of this in the photo Kermit shared (somewhat inevitable when a men’s garment is being worn by a woman), but not nearly to the same degree. The bigger issue though is the length. On you, that B-6 appears to be almost a 3/4 length jacket, when it’s really just supposed to go down an inch or two below the hips. It’s hard to say about the other measurements, but the sleeves look too long as well.

That said, it’s your jacket. You’re the best judge of the fit and look that you want.

Last edited:

Kermit3D

I don’t see how different it sits on my shoulders to those ladies unless you’re referring to the length being too long. Are you saying too large how, width on the shoulders or the length? I’m shorter in height to those ladies. Out of stock in 36 but it’ll be too short for me then and I like my jackets hip length.

The lady's B-6 (second from left) in the photo is a bit more fitted in the shoulders. The leather bands that join the body and arms is a good reference point.
But it is mainly the length of the body that differs. Your jacket looks really long.

The B-6 is one of the longest flight jackets. But it's still a flight jacket, designed to be comfortable in a sitting position. In that sense it shouldn't be too long either. It's not a coat to protect from the cold while standing.

Take your time before making a decision. The fact that there are no more undersized jackets available should not force you to choose an ill-fitting jacket.

But that's just my opinion, of course if you like a jacket to be oversized, then why not.
If it makes you feel better, choosing the "right size" is a problem that all forum members face.

Last edited:

mulceber

Ok. Just because the jacket was designed to wear at waist doesn’t mean it must be worn in that way.

Yep. You can wear your jacket any way you please. The corollary to that though is that we can only advise you on how a jacket should fit based on our own aesthetic sensibilities. It sounds like you got what you wanted. No need to justify yourself to us.

Kermit3D

Ok. Just because the jacket was designed to wear at waist doesn’t mean it must be worn in that way. I’m not military so there is no set rule in how it should be warn. I wear it like a coat to keep me warm not to fly a plane and when I take flying lessons I’ll be flying a modern plane fully air conditioned. The length is perfect for my needs. The shoulders are normal to be off the shoulder as all the current oversized ladies jackets are the same. Thanks all for your opinions. My husband thinks it suits me as that is how I wear my jackets. Cheers.

Ok I understand very well.

On this forum most are looking for an authentic cut as it was worn at the time the jacket was designed.
But this is by no means a rule that must be applied in all cases.

If the fit is right for you and your husband, then this is what you need ! :)

Kermit3D

Fair enough. My original question was more to do with the price tag, whether it is worth the price, but somehow it steered more towards the fit. But only those that have handled/own/ worn a McCoy shearling jacket along with the other brands would know the difference. But seems many haven’t apart from that guy living in Japan. AnywAy. How do I delete my account here? Can’t find the appropriate button which is a pain. Cheers all. Happy new year and I wish you all a prosperous 2022.

It is indeed a pain.
Don't forget your Chanel blazer when you leave.

Best wishes for the new year.

Last edited: