• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are B-3s a waste of time and money?

MeachamLake

Some really interesting responses here guys! I am leaning towards saving up for a B-3 of some sort - mainly because I want one, rather than 'need' one (although I guess all of these ridiculous jackets we buy are ultimately pointless!). They just look cool...the antidote to all the Canada Goose parkas you see everyone fawning over!

For those who own both, how does the Irvin compare to the B-3 in terms of warmth and weight? Same goes for the ANJ-4.

kowalski

At my place, in southern Poland winters are long and and very cold (minus 10 - 30 degre ). My jacket B3 it's a lifebuoy at the time;)

Attachments

• P1120028.JPG
    P1120028.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 165
  • P1120021.JPG
    P1120021.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 183
  • P1120020.JPG
    P1120020.JPG
    396.5 KB · Views: 158
  • P1120017.JPG
    P1120017.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 165
  • P1120016.JPG
    P1120016.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 169
  • P1120014.JPG
    P1120014.JPG
    650.2 KB · Views: 168
  • P1100354.JPG
    P1100354.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 167
  • P1100348.JPG
    P1100348.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 172

D97x7

For those who own both, how does the Irvin compare to the B-3 in terms of warmth and weight? Same goes for the ANJ-4.

I find the Irvin to be warmer yet lighter, the ability to cinch up the belt and zippered cuffs are what swing it for me. Also of my Eastmans the Irvin fleece feels a touch longer.

B-Man2

Some really interesting responses here guys! I am leaning towards saving up for a B-3 of some sort - mainly because I want one, rather than 'need' one (although I guess all of these ridiculous jackets we buy are ultimately pointless!). They just look cool...the antidote to all the Canada Goose parkas you see everyone fawning over!

All three jackets have one issue in common.
If it’s cold enough to be wearing one then your butt will be cold because the jackets stop at your waist. Remember that the jackets were made to be worn with shearling flight pants. If it’s cold enough to need one . I’m talking 30 degrees and below then your booty takes the brunt of just wearing a thin layer of denim . But hey..... your still going to be the coolest looking guy at the gas pump!;)

Whatsit

Simply put, when it comes to owning a B-3 or an Irvin its “Need vs Desire”. For example , the far North , Canadian Boarder regions and the Colorado Rocky areas of the US are places where both jackets would see a lot of use and be beneficial to own. Read that as having a “need”.
Opposingly, I live in Northern Florida where the temperature never gets below 32 degrees except during some bizzar weather phenomenon know as an “Artic Clipper” yet I own both jackets , a B-6 , and 2 vintage N3-Bs. Why? I certainly don’t need any of those , but they are all pretty cool looking as most of us will agree. Read that as “ desire”;)
Correct Burt
I’ll never forget my wife’s grandfathers funeral on a cold January morning in northern Wisconsin. Standing out side it was -30 F not excluding the wind chill. So cold they would not let a guy play a bugle for taps. As they were worried it would stick to their lips. So they had a tap recorder along that froze up and and never worked. The guns also kept jamming. Everyone in that cemetery that morning were freezing and complaining. I stood almost too warm in my B-3. To this day, as I live in Oklahoma now, refer to my B-3 as my Wisconsin winter jacket and normally only have to wear it a few days each winter but have never gotten cold in it

Southoftheborder

The point about jackets like this is not that they are a waste of money or not but that in practical terms they aren't necessary. Modern synthetic materials are now warmer and will keep out wind better if practical considerations are all that matter. But we wear these because they look good.

Having said that there can come a point where it is a bit of a waste having a faithful reproduction of a garment designed to keep a pilot warm in an unheated cockpit at 25,000 feet hanging in a wardrobe and almost never taken out. So unless you live somewhere where it does get really cold you probably won't wear it a lot in the modern world of overheated homes offices and cars. Not to mention the warming winter climate. I had a cheap but warm sheepskin sort of Irvin jacket over fifty years ago when I was still a teenager that I wore a lot over a suit in the winters then. But it doesn't get so cold here now.

And if you do wear it with just a shirt under it on a cold night so you can take it off in a warm pub or bar or club - you'd better keep eyes on it at all times because it will get nicked.

stanier

I think most of the arguments here to not have a B-3 apply just as much to any other of the jackets we like on this forum. After all who really needs a £1000 A-2 or £500 B-10, B15, or even repro denim etc. Even if you wear it everyday, we could all go still go to George at Asda etc and get some "thing" for £20. And if you're happy doing that then fine, and probably not be on this forum.

On the other hand, if YOU wearing your B-3 for even one day a year makes YOU happy then crack on! We all spend our money on the things that matter to us don't we? Which (no disrespect to MeachamLake intended) makes the thread a bit pointless?

And I've worn my B-3 when I had it (and do the same now with all my jackets, its their main role!) to pubs and bars and ain't had one nicked yet! Just keep it on a chair next to you!

Southoftheborder

Well, I wasn't arguing against owning shearling flight jackets and I still have two. But I did sell the ELC Irvin because it wasn't getting worn at all the thing was so warm. As I wrote above people don't really buy them for practical reasons nowadays whatever they tell themselves but because they look good. And when you own things like this there is a tendency to try to justify them on all sorts of grounds; and really most of the time they're just a luxury.

I don't feel the need to justify anything I own including my jackets. But I don't kid myself that expensive leather garments are anything other than indulgences either. But I like indulging myself so I do.

Thomas Koehle

B3 best investment in a winter-jacket I ever did (ELC 50CAL in 44)

and even though i`m a "office guy" and rarely need to leave the office during working hours I loved to wear her last winter when I visited my companies headquarters in Germany

got a lot of headturners and some positive feedback from coworker - coworktresses as well

PItwNx1.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

The cloth on the zipper looks to have shrunk quite badly at some time
It's fitted perfectly flat but the teeth are quite crinkled? Only shrinkage can do that, maybe it was dyed in too hot water?

stanier

B3 best investment in a winter-jacket I ever did (ELC 50CAL in 44)

and even though i`m a "office guy" and rarely need to leave the office during working hours I loved to wear her last winter when I visited my companies headquarters in Germany

got a lot of headturners and some positive feedback from coworker - coworktresses as well

PItwNx1.jpg

Love that B-3 Thomas. If I could find a nice clean size 40 ELC Perry at the right price I’d be sorely tempted....

Thomas Koehle

It's fitted perfectly flat but the teeth are quite crinkled? Only shrinkage can do that, maybe it was dyed in too hot water?

Hmmm - now that you say it - sometimes closing the zip is a bit „fiddly“ - bought the jacket brandnew from a military-store in Germany still in the box

Well it is the „50 Cal“ Version which is given some treatment by ELC for a worn look????

D97x7

I notice both of mine aren't exactly flat either .50cal and Roughwear, maybe it's a crown thing, can't say I'm a fan to be honest.

stanier

Probably an effect of the time worn treatment on the .50cal?

Blimey though you’ve got good eye sight Ken. Woe betide any poo house rats if you’re around with yer gun!;):D

Micawber

I used to wear my original B-3's and other shearling's I had when driving the Jeep or anything else open to the elements in the winter but usually preferred an Irvin TBH, just as warm bit found them a bit more flexible [could be in the market for another in a size 44]. Wouldn't wear them for day to day activities in the winter - too bulky and warm for any real physical work.

Ken at Aero Leather

These Crown zippers must have been dyed
We've bought a pallet of Vintage US O/E zippers about 30 years ago, We dyed thousands sucessfully, Talon, Conmar and Conmatic, all turned out great except for the one small batch of blue Crowns where the tape shrunk and the teeth buckled, must be something to do with the tape they used.
We still have a box of undyed blue Crowns, not the WW2 but 1950s, Personally I'm not a fan

MeachamLake

I think most of the arguments here to not have a B-3 apply just as much to any other of the jackets we like on this forum. After all who really needs a £1000 A-2 or £500 B-10, B15, or even repro denim etc. Even if you wear it everyday, we could all go still go to George at Asda etc and get some "thing" for £20. And if you're happy doing that then fine, and probably not be on this forum.

On the other hand, if YOU wearing your B-3 for even one day a year makes YOU happy then crack on! We all spend our money on the things that matter to us don't we? Which (no disrespect to MeachamLake intended) makes the thread a bit pointless?

And I've worn my B-3 when I had it (and do the same now with all my jackets, its their main role!) to pubs and bars and ain't had one nicked yet! Just keep it on a chair next to you!

Perhaps - maybe you've misinterpreted my point.

The B-6 I own already, is of course, a totally pointless indulgence - I could go out to Primark and get a winter coat for £25 that would keep me just as warm. However, therein lies the point - the B-6 is probably no warmer than your average down jacket, so it's an indulgence you can wear more often and therefore get more enjoyment out of!

I love the look and history of the B-3 enough that I'd feel slightly disappointed if I could only wear it once a year. Still, maybe you're right...if you get one day a years enjoyment out of it, then perhaps it's worth it. :)

stanier

In honesty it’s down to everyone’s individual disposable income, jacket preference and “cold threshold”. And you might wear a B-3 more than you might think..

I’ve seen guys on here talk about B-10’s saying they’re plenty warm for the coldest days, but I personally didn’t find that. For me there’s days when a B-10, unless worn with a t shirt, wool shirt and A-1 sweater is mighty cold, although strangely I’ve personally never ever been bothered by the shortness of the jackets with thick underwear and heavy denim or ELC Officer pinks sorting that!

IMHO, you can’t beat a B-3, and that lovely comforting feeling when you bend your arm on the coldest days when a lovely rush of warm air blows over your hands.

Simply put, if you like and appreciate them and the feeling and era they represent enough they’re worth it, and if you don’t they’re not!