• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are B-3s a waste of time and money?

MeachamLake

This is a question I’ve had for a while.

I think it’s safe to say that the B-3 (and other heavy sheepskins; Irvin, ANJ-4 etc) are very cool, iconic jackets.

However, one sticking point seems to be just how usable they actually are. Let’s face it, these are big, heavy and incredibly warm. The question is: are they too warm to actually get any real use out of?

I’m considering an ELC or Aero B-3 because I just think they look awesome - but then I question whether they’re worth the (high) price. I already have a B-6 which I suspect will be warm enough for most winter days.

A quick search around yields a variety of opinions. Some love the heavy zone jackets, others seem to buy them and sell them on very quickly citing the fact they’re too warm.

What’s the verdict?

Greg Gale

I have a WPG Irvin, which is supposed to be lighter than, say, an ELC. Here in Central Europe winters are colder than in the West, but I can only wear it for one month tops. They look really cool ,though.

tjoenn

I think it’s safe to say that the B-3 (and other heavy sheepskins; Irvin, ANJ-4 etc) are very cool, iconic jackets.

However, one sticking point seems to be just how usable they actually are. Let’s face it, these are big, heavy and incredibly warm. The question is: are they too warm to actually get any real use out of?

I’m considering an ELC or Aero B-3 because I just think they look awesome - but then I question whether they’re worth the (high) price. I already have a B-6 which I suspect will be warm enough for most winter days.

A quick search around yields a variety of opinions. Some love the heavy zone jackets, others seem to buy them and sell them on very quickly citing the fact they’re too warm.

What’s the verdict?
Coolest jacket there is! I will not be without one, but I only wear it when it's -5 C or colder which is normally just a couple of weeks in this part of Norway. (but I take it out of the box, look at it and smell it much more often than that... :p) My B-6, however, gets a lot of use during the winter.

silvio76

What’s the verdict?
Agree with you, they are very warm and they are not suitable for everyday use. I wear it maybe 10 times per year, but i like it.

Bombing IP

To much money to leave on a hanger for 11 months a year just to look at . Then wear it for two to four weeks at most ,they were designed for 30,000 feet altitude so why would you need one .

BIP

Last edited:

stanier

I think it depends on your lifestyle. From some of the posts on here there’s already people going out early mornings for example this time of year and using their heavy shearling jackets.

I think they have one very large practical use, in that in this age of central heating, when it’s very cold and you’re heading off out to a local pub or restaurant etc wearing a usual shirt for your destination but be warm and toasty in your b-3 for the walk there. No need to have several layers for put on and take off.

Silver Surfer

on an early am nyc morning in the low and under 30s, walking the dog, the b-3 is the go to jacket. toasty and the high collar protects my ears.

B-Man2

Simply put, when it comes to owning a B-3 or an Irvin its “Need vs Desire”. For example , the far North , Canadian Boarder regions and the Colorado Rocky areas of the US are places where both jackets would see a lot of use and be beneficial to own. Read that as having a “need”.
Opposingly, I live in Northern Florida where the temperature never gets below 32 degrees except during some bizzar weather phenomenon know as an “Artic Clipper” yet I own both jackets , a B-6 , and 2 vintage N3-Bs. Why? I certainly don’t need any of those , but they are all pretty cool looking as most of us will agree. Read that as “ desire”;)

robrinay

I had an Aero ANJ4 for several years - I bought it from their sale page in mint condition. I sold it last year still in mint condition owing to a significant lack of UK weather cold enough to warrant wearing it often enough during those years.

Southoftheborder

As above.

Love it in a cold climate, but not much use where I live. Which is why my ELC Irvin was moved on after being worn a handful of times. A B-6 I have gets a lot more use.

Clark J

Well here is my 2 cents worth ,, I have owned a B-3 and 2 D-1s for many years before selling all of them about a year ago. Minnesota gets about as cold as anywhere that have big populations and I don't think I wore my B-3 20 times in the many years I owned it.Just to bulky ,can't be worn in a car maybe snowblowing at best.Real warm but way to short.My Eastman D-1 I purchased new and had them make it with a 24 inch zip this was a very wearable and warm jacket.That being said never wore it either.An oversized B-10 with an A-1 sweater is the way to go....IMHO.

MikeyB-17

Mine got plenty of wear when I owned it 10+ years ago, and will get plenty more now I’ve got it back! Colder weather forecast, can’t wait. It’s great in really cold weather, but fine when it’s just cool if you don’t put too much on underneath. Only conditions it’s not suited to is heavy rain.

Obscurator

My B-3 got a good burst of use during this year's "Beast from the East", as I live on the East Coast, but otherwise it's not often cold enough to justify it.

In descending order of cold days, I'll wear a D-1, BR B-10 or BR N-1.

It may sound trivial, but I like, or need, to carry around stuff like keys, phone, pen etc. and thus require pocket space, which is in short supply on a B-3.

D97x7

Perhaps I'm a bit new to the B-3 game, only having had my two for just over a year I find I wear them as often as possible, early mornings, heating off in the car, hell I've even been known to sit at home just wearing one (heating off of course and I do live on my own so there's no one to object), I guess common sense hasn't set in yet!

Greg Gale

Perhaps I'm a bit new to the B-3 game, only having had my two for just over a year I find I wear them as often as possible, early mornings, heating off in the car, hell I've even been known to sit at home just wearing one (heating off of course and I do live on my own so there's no one to object), I guess common sense hasn't set in yet!

That's a brilliant idea right there! buy a B-3, wear it at home instead of turning on the heating, save big money, use it to buy more jackets! :D

Schmauder

My first flight jacket was a cheap B-3 copy, which I got as a christmas present about 15 years ago and it's still in use. Here in southern Germany the winters can get cold, so for a winter BBQ or the daily walk it's perfect (Although nowadays, since my wife found out about the warmth the B-3 provides, she keeps stealing it).

ausreenactor

I have three B-3s and a B-2. I live in the tropics. The outlay for jackets that I pretty much never wear may seem to some a waste; however, I have three B-3s in my US WWII USAAF collection. It would not be a US WWII USAAF collection without a B-3 or two.