• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are B-3s a waste of time and money?

kowalski

better to have without the need, than need and not have :cool:

Attachments

• P1100387.JPG
    P1100387.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 240
  • P1100294.JPG
    P1100294.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 254
  • P1100386.JPG
    P1100386.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

MeachamLake

Apparently the fleece is about 18mm - considerably less than Aero who go for a whopping 22mm.

Regardless, as cool as the B3 is I've decided that it's just too much money to invest into a jacket that will probably only get minimal wear. Maybe if I ever get a big bonus at work I'll splash out ;)

MeachamLake

That would explain why Aero B-3 owners find them warmer than their Irvins, whereas Eastman seem to be the other way round.

Yes - quite possibly. I also think Eastman use thinner pile shearling for the sleeves and cuffs, whereas Aero don’t. They can often look super fluffy to begin with.

I get that Aero want to ensure the jacket lasts longer by making the fleece thicker than needed to start with, but I find it a little over the top.

MikeyB-17

I think there was a period when Aero stopped using thinner sheepskin for the cuffs, but this came up a while ago, and Ken made it clear that they are doing it again now. Mine certainly has the thinner ones - I think the thicker ones look daft with that great ruff of fur.

Clark J

I should add even though I don't own any fleece I do have 2 near mint black label XL N-3B that are the real deal go to jacket when the temps go below zero.

w1rc

Original B-3 jackets are great as collectibles but as for wearing they are unsuitable because they are too old and tend to become very delicate and easily damaged. These coats were made to keep aircrew warm at high altitude temperatures and not for durability as is the case with leather flight jackets.

I agree with previous posters who have said that they prefer their N3B coats for extreme cold weather wear. When we lived in Vermont I wore one in the cold of winter but since we have been living by the ocean in Massachusetts I have only had occasion to wear it a couple of times.

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Are Ferraris or a Rolex for example a waste of money ? Any luxury goods is by definition above the quality needed to be functional.
Only you can decide if it is a waste of your money or not. But don't judge a luxury on its's practicality. Instead buy from Walmart.

gav

I’m thoroughly a fan of the B-3 looks but have failed to keep one: too hot, too heavy, too uncomfortable...

Tried a redskin at the pop up today and still don’t think I can do it.

Then I tried a B-6, a revelation in comfort. I am a convert! Now I need to find a second hand ELC B-6 in 46....

B-Man2

I’m thoroughly a fan of the B-3 looks but have failed to keep one: too hot, too heavy, too uncomfortable...

Then I tried a B-6, a revelation in comfort. I am a convert! Now I need to find a second hand ELC B-6 in 46....
I have an ELC redskin in 46. PM me for details.

MeachamLake

The ELC B-6 is simply spot on. A cracking design. Plenty of shape, easy to wear...very very nice indeed. Here's mine, size 46:

IMG-7209.jpg%22%20alt=%22IMG-7209