• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Erich Hartmann flight jacket

Rory Schultz

I have never seen a original LW jacket with green RiRi zips, so are they of civil origin?
And @Pilot , can you please show me a closeup of the collar / the material that you've used.
IMHO I would have chosen a more faded / purple collar color to better match the overall condition of this jacket.

All of my Reich Defense Jackets have the Riri zippers but they are the beige color, I believe these are dark grey and the photo makes it look green( Not sure about the green ones....they use plastic injection mold system that RiRi invented.

Last edited:

Pilot

Hello all
thanks for your support, questions and likes.
Will try to answer all questions in one post.
Ri-Ri zips were white, black and OD during pre 1945. The latest version was OD and the RV‘s jackets had no more wiring nor metal parts… and the mismatching panels were frequent.
I use all 3 colors incl. Zipp NOS metal zips ( on request ).
The felt which is called Pannesamt in German ( Panne velvet ) will largely fade/age away…I also offer a more burgundy version.
I sacrificed a wired fabric RV- jacket to have enough collar material used from its liner… but no worries it will fade away color wise.
The blue in blue and the OD zips and button line wool was a customer request.
Same for the buckskin hide used.
Again all materiel is NOS hides are from vintage or ancient or antique leather coats..
No more new produced materiel at all ( hence the price and waiting time ).
Once the jacket is put together, it undergoes a patina process involving a lot of homemade balm and manual polishing. ( no chemicals, no buffing, no aggressive grinding etc).
A few self explaining ( example ) photos below.
Apologies, if they dont do justice to the jackets.
7E542A0A-70F7-42E6-95B5-B972F24A05E6.jpeg
66221BE8-0576-4F70-A0DE-5A66419CEAEE.jpeg
F8B783FB-5B5F-4BF3-8C47-4E6353BB7672.jpeg
ACF785D0-ECE3-4A7B-B87C-C0E8FB99DB2A.jpeg
FF75514D-7C03-46F3-AD31-56A77AF7F215.jpeg
0FF901FD-5E0B-4793-AA55-E317DB4669F2.jpeg
22420335-F3DA-483A-91C8-432C3B417A26.jpeg

Last edited:

Rory Schultz

I still think you need to present your portfolio to the Film Commissions for any future WW 2 films of TV Series. BTW, were you aware of RiRI attempted adding some Radium on some of the zippers for the Night Time Pilots? I had heard something about it, but it ended up being too costly. I have not found out anything on it anywhere, and was curious if you heard anything?

Pilot

I still think you need to present your portfolio to the Film Commissions for any future WW 2 films of TV Series. BTW, were you aware of RiRI attempted adding some Radium on some of the zippers for the Night Time Pilots? I had heard something about it, but it ended up being too costly. I have not found out anything on it anywhere, and was curious if you heard anything?
Thankyou Rory,
first I hope you and your daughter are as well as can be.
Never heard about the Radium adding.
I have been contacted twice by film-makers from Germany and USA.
No idea what movies are , were planned.
I submitted 4 jackets all in all.
Lets wait and see.

Pilot

Looks perfect Brice, it couldn't be better!
If I haven't one of your early ones already I would be totally tempted
Thankyou… little correction… you have a testing jacket from my predecessor ( if not mistaken)…
Try me :cool:
Edit… next possible delivery time on special orders : Dec 2024..
Test jackets if not paid right away might be available on request… but higher in price :)

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Many thanks Brice for those photos of the Hartmann.
The buckles and zippers are also impressive when you know how rare they are.
To be clear, I don't want you to take my requests for photos / details as indiscretion. It's just passion talking and it's a real pleasure to see your work.
The leather on this Hartmann is gorgeous, but I'm surprised you chose horsehide. I always thought that most cyclist jackets were made from cowhide, but maybe I'm wrong.

As for the latest images of the reichsverteidigung jacket, well, it's just superb ! Not the type of jacket I'd wear (my personal tastes) but the workmanship is incredible. I'm really happy to own one made by your predecessor as a very accurate and unique collector's jacket.. But here, with the vintage leather, it takes on another dimension.