• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-11 watch purchase. Opinions.

blackrat2

This has evolved to an interesting thread
I will place myself in this camp however, I have an A-11, I paid very good money for it
I’ve shown Bryce and he paid it a nice compliment, I know the crystal has been replaced and I am sure Bryce could probably point out other things that might not be original, however the watch keeps very good time given it’s age, looks original to let’s be honest all but the avid collector, perhaps sometimes we over complicate things here on this forum
If I wanted 100% original , unmolested , then probably I should be on a watch forum I see this more as it’s a passion we all have and whilst some will only settle for original, there are others like me who just love this point in history and aslong as the majority is right then that is good enough for me..food for thought?

JonnyCrow

This has evolved to an interesting thread
I will place myself in this camp however, I have an A-11, I paid very good money for it
I’ve shown Bryce and he paid it a nice compliment, I know the crystal has been replaced and I am sure Bryce could probably point out other things that might not be original, however the watch keeps very good time given it’s age, looks original to let’s be honest all but the avid collector, perhaps sometimes we over complicate things here on this forum
If I wanted 100% original , unmolested , then probably I should be on a watch forum I see this more as it’s a passion we all have and whilst some will only settle for original, there are others like me who just love this point in history and aslong as the majority is right then that is good enough for me..food for thought?
Hear hear, the watchuseek forum are as avid as we are here for jackets, just enjoy it for what it is

Dumpster D

I almost bought an A-11 Watch at a military show last week, it was $125 Canadian, but the guy said the dial was seized. I figure it would be too expensive to repair if I could even find someone who could do the work. Cosmetically, it was in decent looking shape at least.

Should I have bought it or not?

B-Man2

I almost bought an A-11 Watch at a military show last week, it was $125 Canadian, but the guy said the dial was seized. I figure it would be too expensive to repair if I could even find someone who could do the work. Cosmetically, it was in decent looking shape at least.

Should I have bought it or not?
If that was the only thing wrong with it, I think that I would have purchased the watch .

Dumpster D

..That wasn't the only thing wrong with the watch, I think the spring was also kaput. Who knows what else.

There's another show in November, if he's there and still has the watch, still maybe...the price sounded too good to be true for anything that would be an easy or worthwhile repair. Knowing my luck buying used stuff...I have too many other projects sidelined at the moment to take on as-is.

Unless you might be able to change my mind?

B-Man2

..That wasn't the only thing wrong with the watch, I think the spring was also kaput. Who knows what else.

There's another show in November, if he's there and still has the watch, still maybe...the price sounded too good to be true for anything that would be an easy or worthwhile repair. Knowing my luck buying used stuff...I have too many other projects sidelined at the moment to take on as-is.

Unless you might be able to change my mind?
LOL!!
No D-Man … not going to try to change your mind. It’s all up to you . :)

Dumpster D

My mind isn't made up exactly...The price had me sold, but my senses said 'Beware'

So brings me to ask, who, in this day and age is offering service, and what are the rates like?

blackrat2

Bryce will probably know
There are certainly people in America who do them the problem is I can’t recall there names/companies but they are out there and will probably give you an idea of costing

Pilot

Bryce will probably know
There are certainly people in America who do them the problem is I can’t recall there names/companies but they are out there and will probably give you an idea of costing
OK, some info for my certified professional watch maker ( not selfmade nor selfelected behind the scene one )…
Original WWII A-11/A17 parts ( no aftermarket nor lookalikes etc).
Winding spring 80 Euro to 120 Euro
Balance 140 Euro-180 Euro
Crown ( depending model and type ) 60Euro-160 Euro
Jewel 60 Euro-80 Euro
Cristal hesalyt 120 Euro
Working time 140 Euro/H.
Shipping forth and back 140 Euro ( jewelry shipping).
I am confident this will shock a lot and lead to nowhere… but these are the costs for all originals and all made by pros.
By experience!

Edit: I am out of this kind of discussion, since I dont want to offend anyone who simply tries to justify his wrong purchase…please no more evaluation questions nor reference questions anymore…since so “ many „ know it all and have better etc…
I am keen and glad to sell at my conditions. Happy to see it work out. All others… all yours for the „ experts „

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

I had a Bulova A-11, cost me £60 in a local jeweller 20 odd years ago. Had a plain back and I managed to find a case on EBay with the markings. Couldn’t get it to run right, eventually sold it. Probably shouldn’t have. I definitely shouldn’t have sold the Glycine Airman, with working wire hack mechanism, which I used to have.

Spitfireace

Based on my experience so far, do not buy a cheap(er) watch expecting it to ever meet your expectations. Pay the 1200 Euros etc and do it right the first time. That means don't go on eBay, only buy from someone you can trust.