• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930's German bike jacket

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
Will seems to manage production , he's the one making my jacket.

And trade directories list Will Lauder, as the company’s managing director.
He's very personable, and easy to deal with. I think he's a jacket nut like the rest of us.

Geir

Back to the horse vs. pony issue: According to The Wife, who knows about these things as she owns a horse, the difference between a horse and a pony is one of height measured from the withers to the ground. Anything above 1,48 meters is a horse anything below is a pony. Her horse, an arabian, would be a pony if he were 7 cm smaller.
So I think that it would be hard to tell the difference between horse and pony hide. Another thing to consider would be that there are many different horse breeds and there would most likely be differences in hide.

John Lever

It came today, unfortunately a mistake has been made in the type of leather used. I ordered Vintage Brown HH and it has been made in FQHH and so is way too heavy for the cut and style of the jacket.
I will have to return it as it is pretty much unwearable as it is.

Tommer45

John Lever said:
It came today, unfortunately a mistake has been made in the type of leather used.

Isn't that enough to drive you mad?? You'd think with the amount of calls/emails and whatever else went into ordering the jacket they could have gotten the material correct. Incompetence drives me crazy.

Tommer

John Lever

Good Wear Fan said:
Can you show us a photo please?
I don't want to show any photos as I think that would be unfair to Aero as they made the jacket at a very reasonable cost but made a couple of mistakes. I think they are very busy and it's a genuine error.
Suffice to say that the materials are top quality as expected, but as others have observed before, buttons and FQHH is not a good combination.

gfirob

Can you elaborate about FQHH and buttons being a problem? I am thinking of ordering a Bootlegger from Aero with buttons rather than a zipper. They make several coats and jackets in FQHH with buttons. Please let me know how this is a problem? Button holes too small? Leather too thick? I have an Aero Highwayman in FQHH, very heavy leather, but very nice as well. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Rob

John Lever

When I picked up the box I knew there was a problem. It was very heavy.
IMHO FQHH is good for some jackets where thickness and protection are needed, for example on a motorbike. It's too thick for most jackets and behaves like too much like carpet than leather. I know with time it does soften, but it can take years.
When it is doubled and over stitched around the button holes it takes on yet more stiffness and makes fastening buttons a complete pain and a bore. I fastened the buttons once on this jacket and it took several minutes and made my thumbs hurt. The Vintage HH is thinner but has all the colour and grain complexities of FQHHH, it drapes better and should be ideal for a short trim fitting jacket of the design I wanted.
What I have is a straight jacket. Major disappointment. It's also way too long by around 2 inches or 50 mm. The cuff detail is perfect though just what I asked for. I can only assume that it was rushed at the end of play late in the day before closing.
I hope they will make the one I asked for when I return it.
It will make a perfect m/cycle jacket for someone though as it covers the hip bones.

Happy Hooligan

Geir said:
Back to the horse vs. pony issue: According to The Wife, who knows about these things as she owns a horse, the difference between a horse and a pony is one of height measured from the withers to the ground. Anything above 1,48 meters is a horse anything below is a pony. Her horse, an arabian, would be a pony if he were 7 cm smaller.
So I think that it would be hard to tell the difference between horse and pony hide. Another thing to consider would be that there are many different horse breeds and there would most likely be differences in hide.

What about Miniature Horses?

John Lever

I now realise that the Vintage horse hide is FQHH so that was my mistake. After tying it on over and over again during the holidays I now like the weight and feel of the leather.
The main issue is the length and fit around the waist. I think it's about two inches too long at 26 and should be only 24 inches and needs to be tighter [ hence the Hartmann question]
I am undecided as to have the jacket altered, which will change the button spacing at the bottom, or just have them make a another jacket. It's so close !
Comments appreciated, thanks
IMGP2493.jpg

IMGP2494.jpg

WW2LuftwaffeWien.jpg

for comparison a period 30's/40's jacket.

Falcon_52

This is just my opinion: the sleeves look good both in length and taper. They are just a bit long as they should be for a bike jacket. The body length in front appears to be too long (like you stated). I think it would look better with maybe an inch shaved off the bottom but then the bottom button would be right up against the hem.

Overall, I like the four pockets and the general styling of the jacket.

Regards,

Noel

Vcruiser

John Lever said:
IMGP2493.jpg

IMGP2494.jpg

100_0412.jpg

John
My 'Vintage" brown HH was certainly more soft and grainy with less of a glossy finish right out of the box compared to the regular FQHH. Do you find this to be so with yours? Hard to tell with only pictures. Plus..different batches can vary.
As far as fit..it sure looks good! You're right..sooo close! I just don't know if I'd trouble myself with a re-do..or even alteration. Of course..we know how that goes. If it bugs you....
Van

les_garten

John Lever said:
I now realise that the Vintage horse hide is FQHH so that was my mistake. After tying it on over and over again during the holidays I now like the weight and feel of the leather.
The main issue is the length and fit around the waist. I think it's about two inches too long at 26 and should be only 24 inches and needs to be tighter [ hence the Hartmann question]
I am undecided as to have the jacket altered, which will change the button spacing at the bottom, or just have them make a another jacket. It's so close !
IMGP2493.jpg

IMGP2494.jpg

WW2LuftwaffeWien.jpg

for comparison a period 30's/40's jacket.

Hi John,
I thought that about the FQHH but didn't want to say anything about it, while you were working thru a new jacket delivery. That can be a stressful time. Had a BAD LW experience once on an EXTREMELY expensive custom jacket. You don't even want to experience that issue with that person/company!

Anyhow, the jacket looks great to me. I have a number of FQHH jackets from Aero. The leather quickly becomes Old Glove Leather soft. Once it breaks, it just goes limp really quickly. It will always have some "Body" to it till your body temp warms the leather in my experience and then it goes limp. Absolutely my Favorite Leather is their FQHH. The Vintage Brown is just a great color.

The jacket looks REALLY nice and spot on to me. But it's not my Jacket! My advice is that get it like you want it, so you will not want to sell later because your "core" is unhappy with it.

John Lever

Thanks for the replies and opinions, please keep them coming.
The leather is quite shiny. It has amazing grain and pebbling and the smell is fabulous.
The arms are slightly too long but they may crease up some what. I still think it's too long by about 2 inches. This will cause symmetry problems if I have it shortened.
Having checked the length , it's the same as my B-3 which is wrong IMO.
I have sent some pics. to Will as he made the pattern from dimensions he asked for.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I still think it's too long by about 2 inches. This will cause symmetry problems if I have it shortened.

I think you're right on both counts, John.

I does look good, but it will be even better if it's shorter, and more tapered. This style of jacket needs to be short ... and if it's for daily wear, get them to whack an inch of the sleeves as well.

It might be a big nuisance to wait for another jacket, but better than having this one just lurking in the closet.

Vcruiser

John
I'm sure that you are aware that both the regular brown Aero FQHH...and the "Vintage" brown FQHH are different more than just in color.
The regular Hvy FQHH comes glossy and stiff..while the "Vintage"HH is not quite as heavy...much softer(much more relaxed)..has a flatter finish with grainier texture.
Or,at least...used to be!

Vintage HH
100_0412.jpg
Regular FQHH
100_0410.jpg

Van

srivats

I like the jacket, the sleeves look great and the body is not too loose or anything ... it seems fairly heavy, not sure how comfortbale it is to wear this jacket around. But I am positive that it will break-in and age really nicely ...

les_garten

Vcruiser said:
les_garten said:
Nice Jackets there Van!

Thanks,Les
Like you..my fav is still the Aero hvy FQHH.
Van

It takes a few weeks to quit bruising you and you think YOU will break, and then it goes LIMP! My A-2 is like a pair of Gloves. I really like their HH. Long Half Belt looks interesting.