• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930's German bike jacket

John Lever

les_garten said:
John Lever said:
Possible alteration/replacement soon I hope.

I'm curious, is Aero willing to do a replacement?
Don't know yet.
Having worked at making prototypes for many years I know that you never hit the mark first time around. Not many manufacturers even consider one off's so it's really somewhat of a privilege to have them make a pattern for a single jacket. I want to be satisfied with the result but not to the extent that I become a nuisance to them, so I may go for an alteration or have them make another jacket which I pay for.
I don't think the usual customer/supplier relationship applies on custom work in the sense that unless you specify every detail and give specific dimensions then others may interpret things differently so you can't complain afterwards.
I am still confidant that it will work out.

les_garten

John Lever said:
les_garten said:
John Lever said:

I'm curious, is Aero willing to do a replacement?
Don't know yet.
Having worked at making prototypes for many years I know that you never hit the mark first time around. Not many manufacturers even consider one off's so it's really somewhat of a privilege to have them make a pattern for a single jacket. I want to be satisfied with the result but not to the extent that I become a nuisance to them, so I may go for an alteration or have them make another jacket which I pay for.
I don't think the usual customer/supplier relationship applies on custom work in the sense that unless you specify every detail and give specific dimensions then others may interpret things differently so you can't complain afterwards.
I am still confidant that it will work out.

Good deal John, hope everything works out for you. Aero has always been top notch to me.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:

I don't think that alterations are the answer, John ... as well as the button spacing, the pockets won't look right.

The best outcome would be for Aero to make another, and for a forum member to put up his hand for this one .....

Jamesp

In my opinion, I think this is the way to go.

It is a fantastic jacket in its own right but to get the shape correct for this style it needs to be a touch shorter. Shortening this jacket would just not look right.

Good luck and if its any consolation this makes for a very interesting thread, thanks.

James.

Falcon_52

John Lever said:
Well all I can say is what an amazing company Aero are. They are going to make a completely new jacket for free

Now that is a stand-up company! That's great news, John!

Noe

Happy Hooligan

Aero is Awesome. I know when Ken was there, he'd go out of his way to help me and it's great to know that that tradition still lives on!

John Lever

It's back !
A completely new jacket that is 3 inches [75 mm] shorter and 2 inches [ 50 mm]tighter around the waist. I also followed Dave's suggestion to take 1 inch [25 mm ] off the sleeves. The alpaca lining is dark chocolate brown, the sleeves are lined with purple satin.
The leather is front quarter Vintage brown horse hide. Buttons are grey brown horn.
I am so pleased now as it's a perfect fit and achieves the exact look I was after. Aero are going to produce this jacket and asked me to name it. So I have called it Radjacke, a shortened version of motorradjacke. I quite like Rad as it's modern sounding and Jack can also be a nick name for John as well as German [jacke]for jacket.
I included the blurred front shot because it gives the truest representation of colour.
otobuc
IMGP2510.jpg

IMGP2513.jpg

IMGP2514.jpg

IMGP2534.jpg

IMGP2525.jpg

IMGP2536.jpg

IMGP2538.jpg

IMGP2539.jpg

IMGP2544.jpg

IMGP2540.jpg

IMGP2530.jpg

IMGP2535.jpg

Aero have been amazing throughout this process. In these days of hardship it says a great deal about a company that gives this level of service and product quality.
A big thanks to Amanda, Will and Moira Johnstone who made the jacket.

Falcon_52

Wow! That looks fantastic, John. It looks like a much better fit than the first jacket. It's great news that Aero is going to make this a production jacket. Congratulations to you and to Aero on a fine jacket!

Noel

lazar

Wow! What a beauty!

First of all please forgive my not quiet perfect english! This is my first posting after lurking for several month and I must say this forum really is great and surely the most informative!

I´f been following this thread with a lot of interest since the first day and to see what Aero conjures is plain astonishing!

But may I suggest a slight modification of the name of the jacket “Radjacke” and this is not meant to critisize as this is your jacket and the name you came up with!
“Radjacke” in German means IMHO that the jacket is meant for cycling. “Rad” in german means not only “wheel” but also “bicycle”, "Rad" beeing short for "Fahrrad". A short form for motorcycle is also “Krad” a technical or antiquated abbrevation for “Kraftrad” meaning powered cycle = motor cycle. So “Kradjacke” would be more accurate, but also a little antiquated, what, in my opinon, would add even more charm to this real gorgeous jacket!

I hope you don´t mind me beeing so “typical” German!

les_garten

lazar said:
Wow! What a beauty!

First of all please forgive my not quiet perfect english! This is my first posting after lurking for several month and I must say this forum really is great and surely the most informative!

I´f been following this thread with a lot of interest since the first day and to see what Aero conjures is plain astonishing!

But may I suggest a slight modification of the name of the jacket “Radjacke” and this is not meant to critisize as this is your jacket and the name you came up with!
“Radjacke” in German means IMHO that the jacket is meant for cycling. “Rad” in german means not only “wheel” but also “bicycle”, "Rad" beeing short for "Fahrrad". A short form for motorcycle is also “Krad” a technical or antiquated abbrevation for “Kraftrad” meaning powered cycle = motor cycle. So “Kradjacke” would be more accurate, but also a little antiquated, what, in my opinon, would add even more charm to this real gorgeous jacket!

Hello,
True for sure. But the sound is not near as Kewl sounding as what John proposed. The only folks who would know a difference would be genuine German's like yourself. Foreign cultures often Co-opt a phrase or name incorrectly and it becomes a sensation. The Japanese do this a lot. The most famous one I think done by Americans was the phrase "Ich bin ein Berliner" translated meaning I'm a Jelly Filled Doughnut. I'm sure German's still get a chuckle out of that one.

John Lever

lazar said:
Wow! What a beauty!

Thanks for the comments and name change suggestions. Rad is like radical that's why I chose it. You are of course correct in that Krad is more accurate, but it sounds too much like ' crud ' unfortunately.
I'm glad you like the jacket and if you contact Aero I'm sure they will make one for you.
Welcome to the forum and your English is very good.

lazar

Thanks for your comment on my language John. I like the jacket beeing a Radical Jacket!
But I fear my figure isn´t quite right for the cut. I am 6ft3" and 15 Stone (190cm, 94kg) and my behind is better suited for my bavarian "Lederhose".

Mathias

Tommer45

John, the jacket looks and fits superb. The color is awesome.. very nice my friend. Did you notice any difference between the weight/feel of the first jacket in fqhh and the newer in vintage fqhh?

Here in America Radjacke translates to "John's Badass Jacket". Very nice.

Tommer