• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930's German bike jacket

John Lever

Just finished speaking to Will at Aero. They are planning to start the jacket this week.
Made from Vintage brown HH [ Van's suggestion], only one row of buttons, button cuff with a small collar. The ling will be mustard moleskin with satin arms. No doubling of leather at shoulder and elbows.
Can't wait.
All the recent sales have been to fund this jacket. Here's the original -
IMGP1020.jpg

Geir

Are they making just the one jacket for you? I suspected that you were up to something from all the recent activity.

John Lever

Yes just the one. I am also going to order a RD Irvin with loose arms and tighter cuffs, possibly a special Anj-4. Sold £1000 worth of jackets recently.
Will thinks the bike jacket could from the Spanish Civil War era.

les_garten

John Lever said:
les_garten said:
Kewl Jacket John? Where did you find it?
Berlin. It's very small about a 34, and totally rotten. Will thinks it's pony hide.

Heh! I gotta laugh at the Pony supposition. Nobody can tell Horse from Cow without a label or provenance. How does someone think they can tell Pony from Horse. Indeed, what is the difference between a Pony and a Horse, other than one has experienced a "Bonzai" effect from half starving to death.

I'm curiuos about how he justified the "Pony" guess? Did he mention anything to you?

John Lever

I asked if he thought it was calf skin or light weight horse hide? He replied that it could be pony skin. I tend not to argue with someone who can take apart a 70 year old jacket and make a size 44 for £400.
Personally the only hide I can identify is goatskin.

les_garten

John Lever said:
I asked if he thought it was calf skin or light weight horse hide? He replied that it could be pony skin. I tend not to argue with someone who can take apart a 70 year old jacket and make a size 44 for £400.
Personally the only hide I can identify is goatskin.

There's been lots of threads on all iterations of this forum about this subject. Can't be done.

srivats

John, you have to post pictures when this you finally get this jacket ...

btw may i ask how many jackets you own? =)

John Lever

srivats said:
John, you have to post pictures when this you finally get this jacket ...

btw may i ask how many jackets you own? =)
LW Anj-4/ ELC B-3,Anj-4, A-1,Irvin /RM M445a,M445,/Few B-2/BR A-1, B-2/GW A-1/ Swedish Tanker, UK Army Jerkin,
Pending :- Aero 30's Bike Jacket, Few B-1, ELC B-3.
Small list compared to many others on the forum.

srivats

That is indeed a nice collection ... I don't see A2s in that list. Any particular reason why? Please excuse me if I am asking too many questions.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
srivats said:
I don't see A2s in that list. Any particular reason why?

John is ambivalent toward the A-2, finding more fascination in the intricacies of the B-3, and other woolly jackets.

He adds variety to the VLJ.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
srivats said:

John is ambivalent toward the A-2, finding more fascination in the intricacies of the B-3, and other woolly jackets.

Don't like them I'm afraid.

les_garten

deeb7 said:
srivats said:

Being a New Zealander, you'd think you would have great affectations for the Woolies? Ehhhh?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
les_garten said:
Being a New Zealander, you'd think you would have great affectations for the Woolies? Ehhhh?

We love wool ... grew up with Swanndri's, and woollen shirts in Winter.

But sheepskin jackets? ... I've never worn my B-3, Auckland never seems to get quite cold enough.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
les_garten said:

We love wool ... grew up with Swanndri's, and woollen shirts in Winter.

But sheepskin jackets? ... I've never worn my B-3, Auckland never seems to get quite cold enough.
I think the reference was to four legged woolies and the involvement with wellies...

Happy Hooligan

awesome jacket John...!

who's will? I haven't delt with Aero in a while... Mostly Ken, then Amanda... Is Will a new owner?

John Lever

Ken has retired. Amanda is the person who usually answers the phone and deals with e-mail enquiries. Will seems to manage production , he's the one making my jacket.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Will seems to manage production , he's the one making my jacket.

And trade directories list Will Lauder, as the company’s managing director.