• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

Dr H

I've become more keen on the A-1 to the extent that I actually prefer it to the A-2.
Will certainly be aiming to get something this year, although possibly the cheaper variant discussed elsewhere.

Atticus

Weasel_Loader said:
Is JC making A-1s again? Did I miss something? That is one great looking jacket Bseal. ;)
I'm still happier than a pig in poop with my GW A-1. The cape John used on those first jackets looked great even when it was new and (at least mine) has aged beautifully, since. Bseal, your Jacket is more seal colored than mine, but otherwise, it doesn't appear than John has changed the design of his A-1 very much. On second thought, maybe the pockets on your jacket are a tad bigger?

geoffjacket006.jpg

AF

deand

Atticus, you look so at peace in that A-1...you must have been born to wear it! Terrific piece of leather!

dean

Atticus

airfrogusmc said:
Hey hows the house? I remember you had some flooding a while back?
We're good, thanks. We raised the house in '06 so the water stayed outside. But I was worried for a while. We had over twenty-five inches of rain in only four days. The average hurricane will put down less than half that. As a precaution, I got my friends to come over to help me evacuate most of our more valuable stuff. Thankfully, that turned out to be unnecessary. In a couple of days the water was down and the whole thing was over. I didn't have enough damage to even file an insurance claim. The money I spent raising the house five years ago really paid off!

AF

airfrogusmc

Atticus said:
airfrogusmc said:
We're good, thanks. We raised the house in '06 so the water stayed outside. But I was worried for a while. We had over twenty-five inches of rain in only four days. The average hurricane will put down less than half that. As a precaution, I got my friends to come over to help me evacuate most of our more valuable stuff. Thankfully, that turned out to be unnecessary. In a couple of days the water was down and the whole thing was over. I didn't have enough damage to even file an insurance claim. The money I spent raising the house five years ago really paid off!

AF

Thats great news. So glad to hear that. I remember seeing a photo that you posted of you in a boat in the middle of the street.

I so miss that area. I have a friend that works for Boeing and he teaches Marines occasionally so he gets down there once in a while. I was a New River and he was stationed at Cherry Point and he has told me I wouldn't recognize the area.

airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc said:
Atticus said:
airfrogusmc said:

AF

Thats great news. So glad to hear that. I remember seeing a photo that you posted of you in a boat in the middle of the street.

I so miss that area. I have a friend that works for Boeing and he teaches Marines occasionally so he gets down there once in a while. I was a New River and he was stationed at Cherry Point back in the day and he has told me I wouldn't recognize the area.

siddhartha

Administrator
I miss the area, too-just moved in to our place in Northern Virginia, and love this area of the country. A little more south would have been just fine by me!

The A-1 looks incredible! I'm going to be wearing my Few A-1 once it warms up just a bit

Best,

Chris

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
airfrogusmc said:
Nice Jacket Mr Finch and you appear to be at he crossroads. :D
You can run, You can run...Tell my friend 'ol Willie Brown.

AF

Geoff, the A-1 looks great on you. I realize the following has nothing to do with the thread but I can't resist complimenting your cinematic reference.

“Legba? Where you been at, Slick? He done changed his name to Scratch!” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr H

I am now buying Kent Kochheiser's ELC A-1 and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Kent took these photos of the jacket and he has kindly allowed me to link to them (as they are of a far higher quality than I could achieve with my limited photographic ability).

http://kentk.smugmug.com/Military/A-1-P ... 9632_46uAc

Thanks for the opportunity Kent - the 156 sportwagon in Alfa racing red is available shipped (includes free racing quadrifoglio stickers on the bulkhead!)...

Cheers

Ian

Dr H

Hmm...there has been the odd occasion when I've considered a Micra :lol: , but pound for pound the most stylish 'family estate' (despite the tiny tailgate) on the market IMHO. My last 156 (grey 1.8 saloon) was written off on the Elstead Road (turning into the driveway of the Voysey lodge); some fool overtook several stationary cars waiting behind me waiting for me to make the turn behind me to hit my driver's door and the A pillar. :x

Yes, a pint post A-1 would be great - better coordinate dress code though (turning up both dressed in Irvins was one thing, turning up in A-1s would cause comment at the bar)!

zoomer

My ELC steer "test bed" A-1 has now been winterized by installing snaps inside to mount a Filson mackinaw vest.
Two layers become one - lots more practical when you're always entering well-heated buildings.
5478945887_ff6a271e88.jpg

5479545988_19b19633b6_z.jpg

5479079197_043b030b65_z.jpg

The snaps are placed so that:
a) the vest "butts" in front when the jacket is buttoned
b) the vest snaps in inside out so the pockets are usable
c) the vest is wearable right side out without the jacket, with no snaps showing

I also set in a piece of brown calf from an old key case, to finish off a windflap I started last winter by moving in the jacket buttons and snap panel.
4181346307_52cc79b25f.jpg
before
5479546132_d9a6f4d0bf.jpg
after
All this was handsewn with glover's needles - not the neatest job, but I used the stitch holes where I could.
(Getting a hand needle to go into an existing stitch hole isn't hard - getting it to come out of one is about 99% luck.)