• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

airfrogusmc

Weasel_Loader said:
WOW!!! That's one very nice looking A-1 airfroggy! Nice photos too btw. ;)

Thanks. I really have grown very fond of this jacket. John got this back as a return. He emailed me saying he had a real nice hardly worn A-1 that would fit me. I bought it.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
I think 'Cape' refers to a place. Cape of good Hope. Probably where the original type of skin was from.
I've always thought of cape skin as being thin soft glove leather.

The breed of sheep is named after the place, it is distinguished by a coat of coarse hair, rather than wool. Capeskin is used for gloves instead of kid. This from an earlier post ...

• Capeskin or Cape Leather- Terms used for the glove and garment leather made from sheepskins with the natural grain preserved. Must be qualified as "Domestic Capeskin" if not made from South African hair sheep.

sheepusa.org

RCSignals

Came across this.

apparently at one time it was goat skin

Interesting about the washable bit

–noun
a firm, washable leather used especially for gloves, originally made from the skin of goats from the Cape of Good Hope, but now from hairy lambskin or sheepskin.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
... apparently at one time it was goat skin

I think that the Cape sheep was sometimes thought to be a goat, as it was hairy, and inhabited hill country. The other dictionary, if you scroll down, calls it a sheep.

This from sheep101 :lol:

• Hair vs. wool
    Hair sheep are not a cross between sheep and goats. They have the same number of chromosomes as wooled sheep. The primary difference between hair sheep and wooled sheep is the ratio of hair to wool fibers. All sheep have both types of fibers. Hair sheep have more hair fibers and wool sheep have more wool fibers. Wooled sheep need sheared. Hair sheep do not. Hair sheep also do not usually need their tails docked. Most wooled sheep have their tails docked for reasons of health and sanitation.

Vcruiser

It looks like JC doesn't offer the A1 anymore. At least I don't see it listed on his web site. I think I remember reading a post that he doesn't have access to the cape skin now. Am I wrong about this?
Van

Dr H

That's right Van - older, more mottled cape and the detailing is quite different (JC now uses raw edges on the sleeve seams).
Very nice look jacket - can't wait to get my A-1 back from Aero now...

airfrogusmc

Vcruiser said:
It looks like JC doesn't offer the A1 anymore. At least I don't see it listed on his web site. I think I remember reading a post that he doesn't have access to the cape skin now. Am I wrong about this?
Van

Van I would contact him if you are really interested though I think theres a very long wait right now.

Atticus

Dr H said:
That's right Van - older, more mottled cape and the detailing is quite different (JC now uses raw edges on the sleeve seams).
Very nice look jacket - can't wait to get my A-1 back from Aero now...
I think raw edges have always been an option. I remember John explaining to me that the raw edged sleeve seam was typical on an original, so I chose them for my A-1.

AF

John Lever

I think I had the first one he made in this skin -
IMGP1762.jpg

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:
... apparently at one time it was goat skin

I think that the Cape sheep was sometimes thought to be a goat, as it was hairy, and inhabited hill country. The other dictionary, if you scroll down, calls it a sheep.

This from sheep101 :lol:

• Hair vs. wool
    Hair sheep are not a cross between sheep and goats. They have the same number of chromosomes as wooled sheep. The primary difference between hair sheep and wooled sheep is the ratio of hair to wool fibers. All sheep have both types of fibers. Hair sheep have more hair fibers and wool sheep have more wool fibers. Wooled sheep need sheared. Hair sheep do not. Hair sheep also do not usually need their tails docked. Most wooled sheep have their tails docked for reasons of health and sanitation.

The goat sheep!

the writer of that has a problem with English. 'Wooled sheep need sheared.' :lol:

Seems odd Cape would have been goatskin and suddenly is sheepskin, doesn't it.

The jacket with the lined back though, seems to be smooth 'Cape skin' except for the back which greatly resembles Merino sheep skin. I don't think gloves would be made of that lined skin.
Some people don't like the 'lines' of Merino but I do personally .

Dr H

Does anybody on the Forum currently own this early Good Wear A-1

type_a1_sz46.jpg

I believe that it's a 46 and was made in 2008 (or thereabouts).

I have some questions about detailing to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ian

Jaguar46

I just picked up this Aero A1 off their used jacket page. In their oil pull horsehide. Snug fit, but very nice condition. I like it. Definately a warm weather jacket.

P1030256Medium.jpg

P1030251Medium.jpg

wheat1479

I have an aero oil pull jacket and it started to get that sueded feel to it.I put a combination of lanolin and beeswax on it and it didnt feel dry or suede like after that,but didnt alter the color either.

John Lever

I had oil pull steer hide version, when it wore and sueded it went slightly pink looking. Got shot of it straight away.

Jaguar46

wheat1479 said:
I have an aero oil pull jacket and it started to get that sueded feel to it.I put a combination of lanolin and beeswax on it and it didnt feel dry or suede like after that,but didnt alter the color either.

Examining the surface features of this already worn and used hide makes me wonder how the surface could become like suede? Anyone have any pictures of a "sueded" oil pull hide?

John Lever said:
I had oil pull steer hide version, when it wore and sueded it went slightly pink looking. Got shot of it straight away.

How does one get "shot" of something?

Addendum: I did look it up but it it an unknown usage of the word in my neck of the woods.