• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Thanks Miles ... looks like it would be a nice jacket in another colour.

It may be that's it's just not reproducing well in photos...I look fwd to seeing one in the flesh.

asiamiles

Saw the Buzz A-1. I don't much like the colour but give Buzz some credit for doing something different and - having watched CAPTAINS OF THE CLOUDS again recently - it does seem to have been a shade used by flight jacket makers in the pre-war ear.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
What was it like apart from the colour, Miles?

Any changes to their existing pattern, and what was the sheepskin like? I imagine it draped well, but did it look tough enough?

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
What was it like apart from the colour, Miles?

Any changes to their existing pattern, and what was the sheepskin like? I imagine it draped well, but did it look tough enough?
I didn't try it on as it was hung up rather than on the rail, but I thought it seemed a little "tougher" than Eastman's version, and while I still don't care for the raw seams on the sleeve they stand out less than when using the thicker horsehide.

asiamiles

Not actually an A-1 but a 30's style horsehide jacket from high end Japanese maker Phigvel
466x600-2010102100209.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
I didn't try it on as it was hung up rather than on the rail, but I thought it seemed a little "tougher" than Eastman's version ...

Thanks Miles, well that's a good thing ... I'm always a little nervous wearing the capeskin.

johnwayne

Must admit I like the olive - well, that is the colour I see in the BR Fall 2010 catalogue which I got via Eastmans. I always thought the exchange rate would kill it but nevertheless enquired via Gary if he could get one. Basically he said he could ask but of course, if it was shipped over and then didn't fit then I couldn't return it! He reminded me they do thier version of course but
somehow I like the thought of it being a little different than all the other 'brown' jackets I have plus, it is believed to be the oringal colour used albeit Gary said he's never actually seen one!! He also said "a Green leatherjacket - yuk!!!" so thats made me re-think!!!
So, I'm still pondering - I really like the look of JC's leather but he said he hasn't any decent yet to match that previously used and was awaiting the outcome of a visit to Italy.
I'm desperate to get myself said A1 but keen to get a good one - anyone seen/got the Spearhead version? Don't look bad at the cost but is it 'chalk and cheese' say with an Eastman/Goodwear??

Cheers
Wayne

John Lever

I'd go with Gary on the A-1. Obviously he would prefer that you bought one of his, but I can't imagine BR would make a dud jacket. I had the very thick HH version. It was very well made out of superb leather, but the leather was too good, too thick.
Hey, if you don't like it I might even buy it from you if it's the right size !
What is the cost ?

asiamiles

johnwayne said:
Must admit I like the olive - well, that is the colour I see in the BR Fall 2010 catalogue which I got via Eastmans. I always thought the exchange rate would kill it but nevertheless enquired via Gary if he could get one. Basically he said he could ask but of course, if it was shipped over and then didn't fit then I couldn't return it! He reminded me they do thier version of course but
somehow I like the thought of it being a little different than all the other 'brown' jackets I have plus, it is believed to be the oringal colour used albeit Gary said he's never actually seen one!! He also said "a Green leatherjacket - yuk!!!" so thats made me re-think!!!

The BR A-1 definitely isn't green. It's described as Olive but it's more a shade of brown than green...the photo in the catalog is pretty close. Depending on what size you require I might be able to pick one up for you if Gary is unable to.

johnwayne

Hey Miles, top man and thanks for the offer - dont suppse ytou know what £'s cost might be?
Dont have the brochure to hand (ssh I'm at work) and when I last worked it out it was silly money, Gary reckoned twice as much as his which really makes it out of the question!

Was Mr Lever looking to looking to make a killing if I bought one and didint like it??? Shrewd cookie me thinks!

So playing safe it's edging JC vs ELC - unless that is a nice 44" one pops up here/ebay before I settle on which - I keep missing out whever there has been one

Cheers all
Wayne

John Lever

johnwayne said:
Hey Miles, top man and thanks for the offer - dont suppse ytou know what £'s cost might be?
Dont have the brochure to hand (ssh I'm at work) and when I last worked it out it was silly money, Gary reckoned twice as much as his which really makes it out of the question!

Was Mr Lever looking to looking to make a killing if I bought one and didint like it??? Shrewd cookie me thinks!

So playing safe it's edging JC vs ELC - unless that is a nice 44" one pops up here/ebay before I settle on which - I keep missing out whever there has been one

Cheers all
Wayne
No not really, just what you paid for it.
As for price between BR and ELC, it's no brainer really. 3 Eastman's for 1 BR

asiamiles

johnwayne said:
Dont have the brochure to hand (ssh I'm at work) and when I last worked it out it was silly money, Gary reckoned twice as much as his which really makes it out of the question
With shipping, around £1,100, compared with £480 (plus shipping) for an Eastman.

John Lever

asiamiles said:
johnwayne said:
Dont have the brochure to hand (ssh I'm at work) and when I last worked it out it was silly money, Gary reckoned twice as much as his which really makes it out of the question
With shipping, around £1,100, compared with £480 (plus shipping) for an Eastman.
PLUS import tax of say £250

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I know, but if it goes missing and it's under insured you are b****red.

I figure that if it's insured for any amount, the postal carrier will make sure it gets there, and if the value is high enough to worry about, you can arrange your own cover.

asiamiles

John Lever said:
I know, but if it goes missing and it's under insured you are b****red.

In 13 years of International shipping I only ever recall 1 or 2 items going missing and they were just sent via regular air-mail. I think it's pretty safe to ship a jacket uninsured via EMS.

I wonder if Buzz have correctly reproduced the Olive A-1 here. In the past we have heard about there being so-called "green A-1's" but perhaps this slightly greeny-brown colour is actually what was being referred to and a proper green A-1 jacket as made by Lost Worlds never existed?