• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why suddenly lots people try to sell their GW?

jacketimp

Cobblers161 said:
jacketimp said:
Cobblers161 said:
I think one of the fundamental reasons why Johns jackets are resold is because they hold their value so well, unlike an Aero or ELC say. You spend $900 on one of his jackets you're pretty much guaranteed, unless very unlucky, to recoup at the very least 80%. I don't think you can say that about any other makers.

They are incredibly well made and coupled with the fact that he keeps on improving and sourcing excellent materials I am not suprised in the slightest there are a few for sale, you have the perfect jacket, far better than any 'off the shelf' numbers, then he trumps it. What do you do? Sell on and get in the queue again. These jackets are an addiction and worth every penny.

i'm not a mathematician......i didn't say it's 80%.........wonder wwhere that figure comes from?

all i did was work out 80% of $900..........

let's see 80% X $900.........$720..........interesting

as i recall one of the sellers offered $650 then $600.........unlucky??

Ok, APPROXIMATELY 80%.

As for unlucky, maybe not if it was a test jacket originally bought for anything between $600 and $750.

I await your math with baited breath.

i'm NOT an ACTUARY.........wonder where that app 80% comes from??

jacketimp

deeb7 said:
jacketimp said:

That one is now $475.00 ....

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewto ... =19&t=3257

Meanwhile ... someone just hit the BIN on Diamond Dave's at $700.00.

wonder how much for a gw wear with a NOS crown...........if it's 900dollah then 80% is ALMOST $700

thanks for the update, dave!

Cobblers161

jacketimp said:
deeb7 said:
jacketimp said:

That one is now $475.00 ....

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewto ... =19&t=3257

Meanwhile ... someone just hit the BIN on Diamond Dave's at $700.00.

wonder how much for a gw wear with a NOS crown...........if it's 900dollah then 80% is ALMOST $700

thanks for the update, dave!

i'm NOT an ACTUARY.........wonder where that app 80% comes from??[/quote]

Calm down brother!

I figured 80% from all the GW sales I've seen on here and on ebay. I bought and sold a used GW for pretty much the same price, think I lost about £25 in total. I think that's about right.

Why the bee in the bonnet about GW's though?

jacketimp

Calm down brother!

I figured 80% from all the GW sales I've seen on here and on ebay. I bought and sold a used GW for pretty much the same price, think I lost about £25 in total. I think that's about right.

Why the bee in the bonnet about GW's though?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

i am calm.................

i see......emperical-based........projections.......extrapolations

jacketimp

Why the bee in the bonnet about GW's though?[/quote]

because i can...........beg to differ

because............... i'm not a herd

because............ i'm NOT cyclops

Curahee

CBI said:
Sorry, some of us work for a living ................

It’s a pretty long story, but yes that was me. I did lay off of anything A-2 for a while but I was getting more and more involved with my flight jacket artwork (painting on sheets of leather at the time). I ended up purchasing inexpensive used high end repros for painting and at one point found a Goodwear on this forum (the old forum???) for even less than a used ELC or Aero. I bought it for painting and was REALLY impressed. Another soon followed and then I was hooked. 4 then directly from John (only 2 have artwork of the 6), all outstanding jackets. The reason for my rant had as much to do with A-2 repros in general than anything else. I had years of experience collecting originals and none of the repro companies came particularly close. I did/do like the Aero A-2 because of the outstanding quality leather and styling but they are not the clone A-2’s I want/ed. Aero’s goals are different. I don’t want to miss anything out there in the jacket repro world but I really don’t see me buying any other maker than GW. I could see maybe selling a few of mine to help pay for a new one and/or the fact that once one has too many jackets, they just don’t get worn enough to justify them all – however, I am not there yet nor have plans to “be there”. Enjoying them all plus my others. I am “off” originals as I remember the good old days of the $200 original A-2’s (pre-internet/eBay era). The prices for real ones today are silly and I have not seen any that are in as great a shape as my old mint ones. You know, people's tastes can change and if one is enthusiastic enough to keep trying, things can pay off. Just really picky I guess. In re selling GW's, John keeps raising the bar, the latest HH is even better than before so I can imagine some wanting to get yet another one and wanting to sell a current one. John's goat has always been excellent yet his new seal brown goat is AMAZING, I can imagine someone with a russett goat wanting the seal and possibly needing to sell a GW to pay for a new one. Many GW owners of earlier "test jackets" later want to "upgrade" to a current GW custom made for them.

Well quess what ?..... I too work for a living (10 hours a day, 6 days a week,11 months a year) and you posted right after my post so you must have read it. Anyway there was no need to explain yourself to me. It's just that you said one thing a couple of months ago and then do a "180" on your standpoint. And to quote your president "YES YOU CAN".

How dire are people to sell their jackets ? well I think we will see an abundance this year. Maybe in the US more so than in Europe, and since almost all of the forum members live in the US and buy American and in particular GW ergo the GW dump

CBI

I think it was close to a year ago and actually, I did not see the first post until later. No problem.

Cobblers161

jacketimp said:
Why the bee in the bonnet about GW's though?

because i can...........beg to differ

because............... i'm not a herd

because............ i'm NOT cyclops[/quote]

Wow it seems clear to me that you have an issue that requires attention. My advice to you is just ignore it and maybe people buying GW's because they prefer them to other makers won't actually wind you up so much.

Forgive me for asking but are you that guy from Spain?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Cobblers161 said:
Forgive me for asking but are you that guy from Spain?

That question has now been asked 27 times. I believe that it's my turn to assure you that The Imp is not ......

A

Anonymous

jacketimp said:
Calm down brother!

Jacketimp did you swallow a dictionary ,what with the cyclops quote how does that relate to jackets !

Rgds Jeff .

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Cyclops = one eyed.

images

jacketimp

[quote="Cobblers161
Wow it seems clear to me that you have an issue that requires attention. My advice to you is just ignore it and maybe people buying GW's because they prefer them to other makers won't actually wind you up so much.

Forgive me for asking but are you that guy from Spain?[/quote]

right... i've an issue cos...... i don't endorse goodwear......

judgement has been passed.....i've wound up with people buying GW....

or is it the other way round??

i have an issue that requires attention.....help!

the man from spain...........is that an issue??.........now we're talking about issueSSSS

if i was the man from spain, bill would have removed me........yeah i keep pm with bill.....we've been thru this before........

besides RW a.swatland and a few others....will tell you that...i'm the jkt pimp...i mean imp from good ole UK......

maybe we can arrange a meet up in london when you're in town?

thanks for dispensation but i didn't solicit any advice from the man with clarity...........

keep warm........grrrrrrrrr........quite cold over here

by the way shall we move on.........i'm an ole man of 52?!

jacketimp

DUBOWA2 said:
jacketimp said:
Calm down brother!

Jacketimp did you swallow a dictionary ,what with the cyclops quote how does that relate to jackets !

Rgds Jeff .

vision..........vision........vision

rich

Impy, I think you used to post as Shanghai Joe but it's obvious from your syntax that you're not
the Spanish guy. It is cold here, what's your jacket of choice for this weather?

jacketimp

rich said:
Impy, I think you used to post as Shanghai Joe but it's obvious from your syntax that you're not
the Spanish guy. It is cold here, what's your jacket of choice for this weather?

thanks rich.........maybe i shoud revert to shanghai joe?

you're right.......the man from spain has a shorter fuse.........

jacketimp

deeb7 said:
Cyclops = one eyed.

images

NOT 100%.......50%...........80%........... ..vision??

need to comfirm that with my optician. :(

thanks for reminding me to make appointment with the optician, dave! :)

zoomer

jacketimp said:
the man from spain has a shorter fuse.........
Living amongst fiery Spaniards will do that to you.
When things are not right they tend to go off with very little warning.
My high school had a Spanish teacher (a Spanish one!) we called "Unexploded Gomez."
Basques and Catalonians are a little more laidback...but only a little.

This concludes the Ethnic Stereotype Hour. Tune in again - you may be next!

A

Anonymous

I thought that Basques had a tendancey to explode - when their bombs ignite prematurely ! :lol:

Dave :ugeek: