• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why suddenly lots people try to sell their GW?

jacketimp

CBI said:
I did the hot water treatment to a GW with 4 Medal of honor winner signatures on the lining. The ink did not run/blurr at all.

wonder what brand were the pens........impressive ink!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
jacketimp said:
wonder what brand were the pens........impressive ink!

sharpie.jpg

havocpaul

Sharpies are available in UK, Smiths, Partners, Rymans etc, although has this anything to do with why folk are selling their GW!?!

jacketimp

havocpaul said:
Sharpies are available in UK, Smiths, Partners, Rymans etc, although has this anything to do with why folk are selling their GW!?!

Ok will try em stockists.........been living under a coconut shell for too long........

thanks for reminding us of the thread, paul!

zoomer

Maybe John ought to start a Jacket Leasing Program.

Seriously, why not? Wear your GW on lease for a year or two. Option to buy, or send it back when the lease is up. (You pay for any damage of course.)

Customers could then choose to buy pre-loved jackets, lease new, or buy new.

Cobblers161

I think one of the fundamental reasons why Johns jackets are resold is because they hold their value so well, unlike an Aero or ELC say. You spend $900 on one of his jackets you're pretty much guaranteed, unless very unlucky, to recoup at the very least 80%. I don't think you can say that about any other makers.

They are incredibly well made and coupled with the fact that he keeps on improving and sourcing excellent materials I am not suprised in the slightest there are a few for sale, you have the perfect jacket, far better than any 'off the shelf' numbers, then he trumps it. What do you do? Sell on and get in the queue again. These jackets are an addiction and worth every penny.

Curahee

jacketimp said:
Curahee said:
CBI said:
I am not still seeking. I LOVE my GW's, they are the best and any future purchases will be GW only. I recently passed up a mint ELC for $150 (here locally, has since sold) - I am completely "sold" on GW - in my case, I wanted differnt types: something in HH Seal Brown, something in HH Russett Brown, something in Goat, then John released a Seal Brown Goat, etc. I do some jacket painting and I have now been able to narrow down my top choices for the type of jacket to do art on. So, my future painting projects will be on Goodwear "canvas". For wearers (painted and not painted) its GW.

Yes, the are the best, that's why I want more than one.

Forgive if I'm wrong but didn't you post on a previous version of this forum that you were so very disappointed with your GW that you were done with A-2's all together ?(thhis after your wife or relative made a comment of the bad fit a scruffy look of the jacket) I believe you also said that your Aero real deal was your favorite.

well??

I rest my case

jacketimp

Cobblers161 said:
I think one of the fundamental reasons why Johns jackets are resold is because they hold their value so well, unlike an Aero or ELC say. You spend $900 on one of his jackets you're pretty much guaranteed, unless very unlucky, to recoup at the very least 80%. I don't think you can say that about any other makers.

They are incredibly well made and coupled with the fact that he keeps on improving and sourcing excellent materials I am not suprised in the slightest there are a few for sale, you have the perfect jacket, far better than any 'off the shelf' numbers, then he trumps it. What do you do? Sell on and get in the queue again. These jackets are an addiction and worth every penny.

let's see 80% X $900.........$720..........interesting

as i recall one of the sellers offered $650 then $600.........unlucky??

Tim P

well my GW 27753 is staying. I may hot water the forearms to accomodate the hams that I have dangling from my elbows and give me a bit of shoulder space but otherwise, a grainy chocolate brown leather fondue of a jacket.

Burnsie

Cobblers161 said:

I dunno, depends on who's buying and how lucky you get - my first Aero was a steerhide A-2 that I paid $400 for in 2004. When I sold it to raise money for a horsehide A-2 I got $550 for it on eBay and it paid for a new "Real Deal" in 2006. Lucky.

ausreenactor

I think all jackets are in a lull at the moment.

ELC went yesterday for $395 as a BIN, an ELC Star sold for $450 after a week. Good Wear still sitting bid-less at $400, with a BIN of $500 ignored. Having been pulled once already and discussed on the forum. I got an email over the holidays asking if I was interested. On principle I ignored it. I have an ELC Hartmann 44 I bought to sell that I will hang onto for a few months until everyone is well and truly over Christmas...And I wont even mention the 15 BR repros just sitting there...

It all comes down the combination of Size, Style, Price and whether someone after the identical Size, Style and Price wants to duke it out...

And there are less and less of those these days...

Couchy

A

Anonymous

ausreenactor said:
I think all jackets are in a lull at the moment.

It all comes down the combination of Size, Style, Price and whether someone after the identical Size, Style and Price wants to duke it out...

And there are less and less of those these days...

Couchy
I think couchy has wrapped up the market in a nutshell ,well said! .I also think because jackets are not fetching resonable prices we are not seeing more jackets come up on the market fearing a loss and owners hoping for better prices down the road .When they do come up on the market it will be because bills will have to paid and owners will have pressure from er indoors to sell them .

All the best Jeff

Cobblers161

jacketimp said:
Cobblers161 said:

let's see 80% X $900.........$720..........interesting

as i recall one of the sellers offered $650 then $600.........unlucky??

Ok, APPROXIMATELY 80%.

As for unlucky, maybe not if it was a test jacket originally bought for anything between $600 and $750.

I await your math with baited breath.

A

Anonymous

Seems to me that jacket are like cars; you drive a new one off the forecourt and straight away take the first, big hit in depreciation. Then you get to a level where the second hand price doesn't alter by much.

If you buy second hand and re-sell, you won't take much - if any - hit on it.

CBI, no wonder you have to work for a living: 4 jackets direct from JC ...... ? Jeez fell, you got it seriously BAAAAD. What does 'er indoors think ? You must be single, no ? ;)

Dave :ugeek:

jacketimp

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Seems to me that jacket are like cars; you drive a new one off the forecourt and straight away take the first, big hit in depreciation. Then you get to a level where the second hand price doesn't alter by much.

If you buy second hand and re-sell, you won't take much - if any - hit on it.

CBI, no wonder you have to work for a living: 4 jackets direct from JC ...... ? Jeez fell, you got it seriously BAAAAD. What does 'er indoors think ? You must be single, no ? ;)

not if it's a GW.............in another thread someone mentioned the depreciation is only 20%..........unless you're very unlucky...EMPERICAL EVIDENCE/CONCLUSION?

A

Anonymous

You're absolutely right there Imp. I was referring to the average run-of-the-mill jackets like RMNZ & ELC that us mere mortals aspire to. ;)