• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why always a B3?

Tim P

Now I know about the fact that the B3 is a pre war jacket that saw its way throughout ww2 and even beyond but why do we, as jacket wearers seem less enamoured with the AN-J-4 which to me offers all that a b3 offers without any of its flaws that reduce its high street wearability?

better pockets, more freedom of movement due to the way the reinforcement is placed on. slightly smaller collar. and its use amongst USAAF Bomber crews is well documented (in fact the photos of the 95th I have seen show more widespread use than the b3)

so why is B3 the choice warts and all when the AN-J-4 has few if any warts?

269sqnhudson

Tim P said:
Now I know about the fact that the B3 is a pre war jacket that saw its way throughout ww2 and even beyond but why do we, as jacket wearers seem less enamoured with the AN-J-4 which to me offers all that a b3 offers without any of its flaws that reduce its high street wearability?

better pockets, more freedom of movement due to the way the reinforcement is placed on. slightly smaller collar. and its use amongst USAAF Bomber crews is well documented (in fact the photos of the 95th I have seen show more widespread use than the b3)

so why is B3 the choice warts and all when the AN-J-4 has few if any warts?

A very good point. I always hankered after an Eastman AN-J-4 and would defo have one over a B3

Falcon_52

It's an interesting question Tim. I have thought about this from time to time. By all accounts, the M-445 series and the AN-J-4 have a better design with the extra piping on the waist and sleeves, the simpler throat latch, and pockets but somehow I am drawn to the early B-3 design. As The Who once said, "...can't explain."

Noel

John Lever

I prefer the Anj-4 for the reasons you state and have owned several over the years my favourite being my RMNZ. I returned my ELC as the fleece was way too short and fluffy. I also own a Few M445. They do look great and without the wool on the cuffs and waist they don't attract so many wise cracks about planes as the B-3 does. They are heavy though. After an hour or so they weigh heavily on the shoulders and neck.
IMGP2438.jpg

bazelot

John Lever said:
I prefer the Anj-4 for the reasons you state and have owned several over the years my favourite being my RMNZ. I returned my ELC as the fleece was way too short and fluffy. I also own a Few M445. They do look great and without the wool on the cuffs and waist they don't attract so many wise cracks about planes as the B-3 does. They are heavy though. After an hour or so they weigh heavily on the shoulders and neck.
IMGP2438.jpg

That's a great looking jacket!!! I have an original ANj-4 which I always wanted to refurbish. All the leather parts are in great shape (and there are plenty). It needs new shearling though. I thought it would be agreat jacket if someone could put new shearling on everything. I never got around to asking anyone about this though. :(

bazelot

Which also reminds me I also own a brand new cut up ELC B-3 with original Talon. I need to attempt restoring this one one day.

HHjackets

Anj-4 for me as well, not keen on any fluffs sticking out of the cuffs and hem, but it's the collar i'm not keen on for everyday wear in town.

dmar836

My guess is that the B-3 is more iconic. Even the period crews complained about it's bulkiness so I thought a D-1 or B-6 would be more convenient. Then again, if I pay for and wear a repro, I want to be easily identified by others who might know what it is. That is up to the point drawing attention of a Top Gun jacket!

Dave

rich

John Lever said:

You have a really superb jacket there, I just had a look at the one currently on ELC's website and there's no comparison IMO.

Tim P

I moved my rmnz b3 on for lack of use

rather than for the fact that it is a flawless historical recreation made of bespoke materials :(

I manage well with a B6 and a D1 which i find more wearable and practical, with an Irvin for proper cold. Lack of pockets on the irvin is compensated for by the fact that if its cold enough to wear an irvin its cold enough to wear gloves.

But the AN-J-4/ M445 does get a fella thinking. The pockets arent handwarmers admittedly but they still function well as pockets should, and there are two of them... John, any of yours too big for you? ;)

Tim P

Mine was a 48 and atypically fit like one. the new recipient had more chest and shoulder than me so they will have found it more useful.

Cliff

I have an ELC B3 and an ELC ANJ4. The ANJ4 looks a better design, appears to have more functional and importantly secure pockets and doesn't attract the Biggles comments from friends when out, but ......my B3 is warmer and far more comfortable to wear (Not such heavy/stiff sleeves as the ANJ4) . The ANJ4 fleece stops inside either side of the bottom of the zip and so on a breezy day allows the cooling wind to travel up into your torso. The B3's fleece is continous so is a better seal to the external weather.

So for really cold windy weather I prefer my B3 or Irvin but for out and about in town the the ANJ4 gets an outing.

ECKHARTUS

Agree with John anc Cliff, the AN-J-4 is beautiful but not very comfortable to wear. I have sold my Eastman but I have this original restored professionally.
CIMG8858.JPG

102_5333.JPG

CIMG8679.JPG