• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Choose the Perfect Motorcycle Jacket: Seeking Recommendations

Terryjohn

Hey folks!

I'm curious about your experiences with motorcycle jackets. What brands or specific jackets have you found to be the most reliable and comfortable for long rides? Looking for something that offers a good balance of protection and style. Any insights or recommendations would be much appreciated!
Thanks

CK90

Hey Terry, I've been ruminating over the same question recently, as, God willing, I plan to get my license and buy a bike in the next few years. I've narrowed it down to Lost Worlds - they have some of the heaviest leather weights, ready to take a hit should the worst happen, those guys are serious about making a real road worthy leather jacket. They also have a-lot of the old Buco styles in their catalogue, if you like those. I'm sure others will have recommendations beyond my knowledge.

ButteMT61

I would go with a maker that specializes in Moto Jackets.
If you're only going for looks, then you can do others, but for me, a proper moto jacket is versatile, and has accommodations for things riders need.
So, start with what kind of bike/riding you're doing?
I have a crazy heavy Lost World's jacket, and I have ridden with it, but the fit doesn't match something made for riding.
I've had Hein Gerrick, Vanson, Kusihtani and Fuel.
Other non-moto jackets work, but lack the proper feel for riding, and I miss things like vents and many pockets. Street riding jackets often have the sleeves built to "lean forward", unlike a standard jacket, not to mention longer...
Start with some of the info above...we can narrow things down.

Last edited:

Blackboxr1200S

I'm with Butte above.
Dress for the slide, not the ride.
On a bike you wear a motorcycle jacket, that's constructed to serve as a motorcycle jacket, double or triple stitching, stretchzones, protectors.
Regardless of style. sports, classic ...

If you are planning to go to a bar, have a few beers and by accident trip while going for that fifth piss, wear a regular leather jacket.

Juanito

Hey folks!

I'm curious about your experiences with motorcycle jackets. What brands or specific jackets have you found to be the most reliable and comfortable for long rides? Looking for something that offers a good balance of protection and style. Any insights or recommendations would be much appreciated!
Thanks
I suppose it depends on what you are looking for, although you did state protection and style. Any of the higher end real racing gear from Vanson, Bates, Dainse, or Alpinestars is good. Langlitz jackets are great, but they are a traditional biker jacket with no armor, but if that is what you are looking for, essentially the same jackets they have been making since the 1940's, it is a go to.

That said, my default is Vanson. There are reasonably priced all things considered, and they will build you anything you want, even if it hasn't been in production for 25 years-- i.e the Springfield. Their "off the rack" jackets are reasonably priced, the competition weight steerhide is bullet proof, and the jackets are made for riders. You have options for armor, and so on.

Here's a base Bates: https://batesleathers.com/race-shirt. Vanson has a nearly identical style, the Ace for about $450.

Terryjohn

Thanks for the info! The Bates Race Shirt looks pretty neat, especially considering it can be customized. I wasn't aware that Vanson had a similar jacket, the Ace, for $450. That's definitely something to consider.

Do you have any experience with either of these jackets? Also, how important is it to get a custom fit vs. something off-the-rack?

I'm leaning towards something with built-in armor for the extra protection, but also want something that's comfortable for long rides. Is there a big difference in comfort between a custom jacket and an off-the-rack one?