• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White non-dyed B-3's?

asiamiles

Spotted a Buzz non-coated (ie. white) B-3 on Yahoo Japan and am quite tempted by the reasonably low price...it didn't sell at the weekend and came down ¥5,000 from an already fair figure (if the exchange rate was what is was a couple of years ago it would be a bargain).

Just wondered who else made repro's of these? I think they look a bit showy when new (but from photos I've seen, can look pretty good after some wear) and am a bit concerned that if it doesn't suit me there might not be much of a market for one, though if there's not going to be any others around for sale I would guess there should be at least one taker.

Of course, there is the problem of that buckle on the chest!

Tim P

Imagine the odds of throwing one of those on on a wintry day and meeting someone coming the other way wearing one.

MikeyB-17

Yeah, you're going to want to get it dirty pretty quickly or you're going to stick out like a sore thumb! (unless it's snowing!)

Dr H

Okay...I can see the appeal of the all White version- if a bit 'James Bond Monte Carlo tuxedo vs. black dinner jacket, but the brown n White?! Walking my Welsh springer I'd feel like we'd be dressed to match...
Or one of the cows in a Larssen cartoon...
Just MHO...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dr H said:
Or one of the cows in a Larssen cartoon...

So well away from any traffic.

Larson+-+Cows.gif

Peter Graham

I can't quite picture myself wearing one. It would have to be very worn before I'd consider it and that would take a lot of wearing. No one has ever come up with a reason for that darned chest buckle yet.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
You may have to decide first, Miles, if you really do want this one .... chances of resale are not looking good. ;)

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
You may have to decide first, Miles, if you really do want this one .... chances of resale are not looking good. ;)

Yes, there clearly is a limited market for these. And perhaps anywhere except Japan, the wearer might feel a little self-conscious. But you only have to look at this pic from the Hot Rod thread to see how good undyed sheepskin can look when dirtied up.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Although I like them, I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear a white B-3 ... the originals don't look so bright, being natural coloured rather than white.

Yes, the guy in the picture looks good, he looks like he's enjoyed getting it like that. Perhaps he's the original Pigpen ... even his cap is grubby.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I'm trying to like it, and I can see the temptation if the price is right, but it is the white part ... I'd be looking in the mirror, and thinking DR_H is right ... cow.

I have the same jacket from Buzz, but in, ah .... regular, and without the buckle, even that one has never managed to leave the house.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I'm trying to like it, and I can see the temptation if the price is right, but it is the white part ... I'd be looking in the mirror, and thinking DR_H is right ... cow.

I have the same jacket from Buzz, but in, ah .... regular, and without the buckle, even that one has never managed to leave the house.

Yes, I have no need for a B-3. I have an Irvin that I've never worn! I guess I like the idea of it, but it's impossible to say until one tries it on and has it in the closet if it could and would be a wearer...hence the need to be able to move it on. I'm also not sure about the zip, whether it has just become unstitched at the bottom or if the the tape has a tear.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... I'm also not sure about the zip, whether it has just become unstitched at the bottom or if the the tape has a tear.

It's usually just the stitching, and it's an easy repair.

Dr H

And just when you get up the courage to wear it outside the house there's a voice behind you, "moo, where ya goin' Ermintrude?"...
It's not for me - I'll keep searching for a GW A-1 or the BR version yesterday - £1300? That had better be some jacket at that price!
At the risk of hi-jacking this thread has anybody any 1st hand experience of the BR A-1 in capeskin?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dr H said:
... has anybody any 1st hand experience of the BR A-1 in capeskin?

John Lever had the horsehide version, so there will be pictures here ... have BR made the A-1 in capeskin?

asiamiles

As John said, BR's A-1 is horsehide. It's a bit stiff but no doubt would soften up with wear. I think you have to treat it as an original jacket rather than an A-1 repro, as the heavier leather gives it a totally different look and feel. I don't like the seams on the sleeves, but I would pay a reasonable price for a William Gibson one, as I think it looks good in black.

You might be thinking of Real McCoy's who have just introduced an A-1 into their lineup?