• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are they now?

dmar836

Chasing this rabbit trail more. I always assumed the contract info and such that Roughwear had posted was from the ELC and Japanese books, none of which I have. That was until the B-10 contract thread. To me there is a lot of fog now. His B-10 contract post read like any of his other past contract posts. I suppose it isn’t our business but Carl has become vocal about the upset yet hasn’t clarified exactly what happened. I assumed Carl shared info with Andrew off-forum and it was then quoted here in a new thread without credit being given to Carl. Am I missing something?
Dave

Micawber

If I may be so bold as to add something to this particular discussion. I have been on the internet since the early days when newsgroups were THE medium for discussions of all things under the sun and the Bay of E was still in it's infancy in the States. I've collected "military stuff" among other things since I was a lad in the '60's. I've moderated and administrated / co administrated a number of online e-mail groups, then forums and in latter years FB groups on various subjects with memberships ranging from a few score to 30,000+. Having lurked for a long time I only registered here a few months ago and would like to thank those who posted a welcome at the time. That said I'm pretty damned sure that I was a member during at least one of the previous incarnations of this forum before and and on similar subjects elsewhere but an appalling memory, umpteen changes of ISP & e-mail addresses and a busy life means I can only guess what username/s I may have used.

Anyway, enough of the waffle.

I found forums to be cyclical, generally ticking over until something interesting or controversial is submitted then hit rates tend to peak for a while. There is always an established few who post a lot, then there is an old guard who have been part of the place since it started, but even they come and go at times. New members come and go too but if they stay in time they become accepted and given a seat at the table so to speak. Generally speaking one of the most off putting things a fresh faced new member can come up against is if they are confronted by a holier than though attitude from the odd individual established member, nothing puts people off quicker if they are made to feel in some way inferior. You see it is sometimes a mistake to assume that just by being newly registered or only having a low post count means that individual is lacking in experience or knowledge - whatever the subject matter at hand.

I'm not sure if any of the above is pertinent but I feel better for typing it. I'll go back to mainly lurking now ;)

Carl

Chasing this rabbit trail more. I always assumed the contract info and such that Roughwear had posted was from the ELC and Japanese books, none of which I have. That was until the B-10 contract thread. To me there is a lot of fog now. His B-10 contract post read like any of his other past contract posts. I suppose it isn’t our business but Carl has become vocal about the upset yet hasn’t clarified exactly what happened. I assumed Carl shared info with Andrew off-forum and it was then quoted here in a new thread without credit being given to Carl. Am I missing something?
Dave
Correct Dave , it was given in confidence along with some B3 contracts .
But , looks like Na dah !!
I might be over reacting , but its the principle that annoys me .

Last edited:

Stony

He has posted frequently, but is not an an original member he joined relatively recently ( 15 years ago )compared to USMC, Prostafforever, Bristolherc, Grant, Ken, Victor, Van and others. People come and go over the years.

I believe I was a member of the Yahoo site back in the day. I have been active and non-active over the years depending on my area of collecting/interest, but I always come back here as flight jackets are my first love and sometimes being gone for a while reminds me of that.

It's kind of like growing up in the shadow of Mt. Ranier. I had "adventures in my 20s" as I call it and realized a long time ago that living in the flat lands of the midwest or the humid south was not where I wanted to be. There's just something about looking out to the east and seeing a 14k high snow covered mountain.

Ken at Aero Leather

Not for some Ken i agree , but those with narcissistic tendencies thrive on it .

I don't think Peter Hain's and Frank Field's "buddy" would agree with you right now?
I have no affiliation to any political party (having voted for all of them at one time or another in my lifetime) but does anyone disagree that Frank Field would have been the best "Prime Minister we never had?"

Officer Dibley

Perhaps a wartime focused guy who got tired of endless talk about irrelevant low-production '30s A-2s?

Zoomer, i usually think you nail it with every post. Not quite sure why a low production vintage jacket would not be a topic for the vintage jacket forum. You don't have to read if you don't want to or a particular thing is of no interest. I often don't ! I gave up on the "there can be only 25" at page 2 :cool:

Last edited:

dmar836

Micawber said it well. Just as anywhere, and a sad truth for all, is that the more controversial and contentious the thread the more hits it gets. We all get drawn in by the drama. When a new member has been redirected or curtly answered, one case with Andrew responding, I could see it both ways. Sometimes a lazy new guy or troll shouldn’t be appeased - for their own good and for the integrity of the forum. The old members only forum pretty much vetted a member as interested enough to ask to join. They then didn’t come in swinging - fists or other things.
There have been studies about the recent forms of social media. Some studies show dopamine levels spike with a positive check-in(seeing little red numbers and responses to one’s contributions) and the reverse when contributions are ignored. One said it mimicked the endorphin spikes encountered in sexual activity. I quit FB twice(permanently the second time) but this new format has just enough of the bells and whistles along with the keyboard misunderstandings, occasional trolls, spammer, and sellers, and do-gooders defending all sides that it isn’t really a like-minded mancave to retreat to anymore.
Dave

zoomer

Zoomer, i usually think you nail it with every post. Not quite sure why a low production vintage jacket would not be a topic for the vintage jacket forum. You don't have to read if you don't want to or a particular thing is of no interest. I often don't ! I gave up on the "there can be only 25" at page 2 :cool:
yeah, I was off base there (I've deleted it). I typically get into aspects of stuff others overlook, then get weird about whether I even should. Sorry.

johnwayne

As someone who was introduced to this forum by Andrew/Roughwear after buying an original from him, live near him and seen/spoken to him many times at airshows etc., then I miss his input here. His enthusiasm in what he does in the re-enacting world I find amazing, let alone the time it must take up and personal cost involved in his hobby is admirable for an everyday bloke like AS is, so I'm not going to slag him off and hope he'll return in due course. Having said that I did wince when the B10 info saga unwrapped as it did but let's move on, we all make mistakes and yes maybe more credit should have been given where credits due but sometimes the politics, bitching and whinging here doesn't do anyone any favours - forgive and forget? Maybe I'm just trying to be the eternal diplomat but Andrew if you're reading this come back soon.

stanier

Rarely, but every now and again, I wish there was a dislike button. This thread I would have pressed it a few times.

Andrew, if you’re reading this, good luck on Facebook, don’t come back soon.

unclegrumpy

Everyone is annoying, except me of course. That said, I think we need to remember while we squabble, that there are really not that many on this little island...and not many in the reaches beyond that either, that care about or will listen to these incessant natterings or have something meaningful to add to the discussion....there really never were. The rare thing are the other dodos....any other dodo....

"The dodo (Raphus cucullatus) is an extinct flightless bird that was endemic to the island of Mauritius, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. The dodo's closest genetic relative was the also extinct Rodrigues solitaire, the two forming the subfamily Raphinae of the family of pigeons and doves."

dodo.jpg

B-Man2

At the risk of pissing somebody off , which I’m really not trying to do...... and with respect...you totally lost me on that last post Unclegrumpy.