• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are they now?

Teddy

Ken, if it has to be an original to count, many of us would never post any photos and be active on the forum. The forum could stay as one for only those who possess an original, or it could morph into one that takes in people who own only or mostly repros. There are only so many vintage on the market at $$$, but there are more who are willing to get a repro.

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken, if it has to be an original to count, many of us would never post any photos and be active on the forum. The forum could stay as one for only those who possess an original, or it could morph into one that takes in people who own only or mostly repros. There are only so many vintage on the market at $$$, but there are more who are willing to get a repro.

I fear you are talking A-2s again, the originals of most (non A-2) vintage styles are available cheaper than the reproductions. My point was the subject matters discussed on here have become very narrow over recent years, little time for civilian jackets whether new or original.
Consider the three words "Vintage Leather Jackets", the first is irrelevant to most threads unless it referes to an A-2 and then it's usually repros, the second has narrowed down to military leathers, the third is obviously relevant although I'd bet Cloth Military Jacket posts exceed all the non military posts lumped together
This isn't a crisicism, merely an observation

Teddy

I fear you are talking A-2s again, the originals of most (non A-2) vintage styles are available cheaper than the reproductions. My point was the subject matters discussed on here have become very narrow over recent years, little time for civilian jackets whether new or original.
Consider the three words "Vintage Leather Jackets", the first is irrelevant to most threads unless it referes to an A-2 and then it's usually repros, the second has narrowed down to military leathers, the third is obviously relevant although I'd bet Cloth Military Jacket posts exceed all the non military posts lumped together
This isn't a crisicism, merely an observation
Understood now. It makes sense to me.

Lebensgefahr

Ok , blame me for why certain member / members are not posting etc!
You only have to go back into a certain thread to see why ??
Also ! Have these so called "disappeared" prolific mines of knowledge and expertise actually left the forum ? Or , are they just skulking in the background with an "invisibility cloak" on just lapping up the thought that they are being spoken about.

Im sure they are just revellling in the thought that they are still in the spotlight !! :rolleyes:

A sage thought and probably very true. Love your motto by the way, never a truer word spoken.

dmar836

We have had discussions of other things. Flight gear and such has never diluted the forum, IMO. Andrew once posted some of his vintage Lewis MC jackets, etc. There was a diversity of topics.
I must say I have noticed an attitude change here - not all bad but certainly different. It corresponds directly to the time of growth where many said it was better to have more irrelevant activity than no activity. To me it is just as the rest of social media and our times in general - decorum is lost, words are no longer selected, opinions become polarizing, criticism(even subtle) of others becomes common, peacocking and equal say is as much a priority as core knowledge. We are all part of it as we are all in it. I am as guilty as any. One might blame all the others or one might see it in themselves but it does add up in weight and I have considered that such a break is likely the best recourse.
Dave

blackrat2

I agree it is very quiet here at times and upto recently I thought you had also gone John...I do hope Andrew hasn’t left following the fallout of the “Irvin gate”.
I miss Platoon, Rottenham and some of the others and as I have said before there are some strong characters on this forum hence sometimes think before you post, or atleast think how what you write can be perceived by others, I haven’t emailed Andrew recently, perhaps someone that knows him better can see if he can comeback online here, hopefully his knowledge hasn’t sadly been lost

Carl

I agree it is very quiet here at times and upto recently I thought you had also gone John...I do hope Andrew hasn’t left following the fallout of the “Irvin gate”.
I miss Platoon, Rottenham and some of the others and as I have said before there are some strong characters on this forum hence sometimes think before you post, or atleast think how what you write can be perceived by others, I haven’t emailed Andrew recently, perhaps someone that knows him better can see if he can comeback online here, hopefully his knowledge hasn’t sadly been lost

Andrew had gone incognito before "The Irvingate"
So dont you all go kidding yourselves that had anything to do with it .
I called him out over the B10 contracts . Im sure he has not been" public" since .
Like a scalded school kid who was caught copying schoolwork .
How much more " knowledge" is / was someone else's work ?

stanier

We haven’t lost the knowledge, the middleman has just gone walkabout.

blackrat2

No idea when he went just noticed he wasn’t posting along with others, just think that him along with others are missed
Frankly Irvingate was sh$te and as you have said, you make your bed you move on, however Andrew and others did bring a lot to the site