• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are they now?

Ken at Aero Leather

I'm I the only one who's noticed the distinct absence of an Andrew/Roughwear post in recent months?
If he doesn't show up soon we'll have to post him on the missing in action list along with Lucan, Shergar, a decent PaulMacCartney song and "The Pound in your Pocket"

B-Man2

I'm I the only one who's noticed the distinct absence of an Andrew/Roughwear post in recent months?
If he doesn't show up soon we'll have to post him on the missing in action list along with Lucan, Shergar, a decent PaulMacCartney song and "The Pound in your Pocket"

Ken
I recently heard from another member who has also decided to take a sabbatical from this forum that Andrew has decided to stop posting on VLJ. In light of the fact that he hasn’t been heard from in the last month or more, I believe this information is accurate . IMHO I think this is a sad loss for this forum. His expertise and knowledge of WWII flight jackets and equipment was extraordinary. Like yourself and a few others here, he was one of the original
members of the original VLJ forum. We have to retain members like yourself and Andrew and all of the original members who made this forum so informative to recruit new members. We’ve lost so many knowledgeable people since I joined in 2009, who had amazing vintage jacket collections with levels of expertise to match those collections. While many of you are relatively new and may not know this, just a few years ago this forum truely was a “Vintage Jacket Forum” with
members posting original vintage jackets on a daily basis. I learned a great deal during that period however, by today’s standards we become more reproduction jacket driven because we’ve lost so many knowledgeable older members over the years. Just look around. When was the last time we heard from George ( Pro-Staff) . He had an amazing collection of original jackets. Haven’t heard from Smithy (Tim ) in quite sometime either. The list of people and knowledge we are loosing will have significant impact on this forum. I hope that we will be able to stem this trend and drive on. I only know that when we loose fellows with the corporate knowledge of Roughwear, Pro-Staff, Smithy and a number of others we have lost a significant level of expertise to this forum. Just my 2 cents worth

B-Man2

Are you referring to Andrew Swatland? If so, he hosts a FB page and he is very active on that.
Hi Stoney
I knew he was doing that, but he no longer is posting here and I think that’s a significant loss for VLJ.

Last edited:

stanier

Yep, it’s sad when people leave. People like Jonnyboy.

Not the same exactly, but maybe we should have an ask too for Rottenhahn, the Spanish Fly and in particular Platon, who should never have been banned IMHO. Huge levels of knowledge, and in Platon’s case it feels like half the active members of the forum are buying off him and waiting for jackets.

We love Ken’s contribution’s would love to hear from Gary Eastman and eagerly absorb occasional words from JC, but we got rid of Platon?!

On the other hand, if people outgrow the forum and take themselves off to where they can spread their wings and gather their followers, good luck to them.

A frustrated Captain Mainwaring is not going to live easily here.

ausreenactor

Andrew is a very respected member of the forum and his posts here provide a wealth of information. Andrew moved into the reenactment arena and is still very active with his collecting. He is a regular poster on the Living History, Suit Up, B3 and various other Facebook pages. I would estimate his posting is almost every other day on Facebook. The natural extension or partnered collecting path to flight jackets is flight gear..... Start a post 'What flying helmet to wear with your jacket'. He might get into that as it relates to his current passion.

John Lever

Ken
I recently heard from another member who has also decided to take a sabbatical from this forum that Andrew has decided to stop posting on VLJ. In light of the fact that he hasn’t been heard from in the last month or more, I believe this information is accurate . IMHO I think this is a sad loss for this forum. His expertise and knowledge of WWII flight jackets and equipment was extraordinary. Like yourself and a few others here, he was one of the original
members of the original VLJ forum. We have to retain members like yourself and Andrew and all of the original members who made this forum so informative to recruit new members. We’ve lost so many knowledgeable people since I joined in 2009, who had amazing vintage jacket collections with levels of expertise to match those collections. While many of you are relatively new and may not know this, just a few years ago this forum truely was a “Vintage Jacket Forum” with
members posting original vintage jackets on a daily basis. I learned a great deal during that period however, by today’s standards we become more reproduction jacket driven because we’ve lost so many knowledgeable older members over the years. Just look around. When was the last time we heard from George ( Pro-Staff) . He had an amazing collection of original jackets. Haven’t heard from Smithy (Tim ) in quite sometime either. The list of people and knowledge we are loosing will have significant impact on this forum. I hope that we will be able to stem this trend and drive on. I only know that when we loose fellows with the corporate knowledge of Roughwear, Pro-Staff, Smithy and a number of others we have lost a significant level of expertise to this forum. Just my 2 cents worth
He has posted frequently, but is not an an original member he joined relatively recently ( 15 years ago )compared to USMC, Prostafforever, Bristolherc, Grant, Ken, Victor, Van and others. People come and go over the years.
Facebook is very popular, its easy to start your own group and be the Boss. There are some great groups, its so easy to share images and be a member of multiple groups.

jeremiah

Yeah i enjoyed each of those guys posts. I am the type of person who wonders “was it something I said”? I am too sensitive sometimes.

Steve27752

A lot of us joined VLJ in March 2008 that is when this incarnation of VLJ was formed. If I remember correctly, this is the third or fourth incarnation. We were originally a Yahoo forum (I think). This forum is now like a junior Fedora Lounge and has imported a lot of it's attitudes.

Officer Dibley

Ken

Andrew is many things but an "original member of the original VLJ forum" he most certainly is not.
I remember many years BS (Before Swatland & when i had a different name here) when he turned up with no knowledge and a lot of cash and asked many questions and bought MANY jackets to gain that encyclopedic knowledge which, fair play to him, he has freely shared with forum members.
And whilst i may not be an accolyte, i agree his sabbatical is a shame: for direct questions on specifics he is a great resource, albeit that perhaps he can come across a little serious and lecturing sometimes. ( and i acknowledge i often come across as a bit of a t*t .... though it's not intentional all the time....)
Perhaps he has tired of the same questions and the dressing up /living history aspects that are broader in scope are now more appealing to him than the narrow jackets specialty. Perhaps he finds his own Facebook groups better.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Snip While many of you are relatively new and may not know this, just a few years ago this forum truely was a “Vintage Jacket Forum” with members posting original vintage jackets on a daily basis.

Yes, it's a shame the forum has turned into a "Repro Type A-2 Forum", run through the "What am I wearing today" thread and count on your fingers the number of Vintage Leather Jackets being worn, one can still type a post the the spare hand.

stanier

Yes, it's a shame the forum has turned into a "Repro Type A-2 Forum", run through the "What am I wearing today" thread and count on your fingers the number of Vintage Leather Jackets being worn, one can still type a post the the spare hand.

I think that’s inevitable with the March of time I’m afraid. I’ve been a member through the various incarnations of the forum and only ever been interested in owning repro jackets.

But if I could find an original in the condition I’d want, I don’t think I’d wear it as much to get it in the “what are you wearing today thread”.

Carl

Ok , blame me for why certain member / members are not posting etc!
You only have to go back into a certain thread to see why ??
Also ! Have these so called "disappeared" prolific mines of knowledge and expertise actually left the forum ? Or , are they just skulking in the background with an "invisibility cloak" on just lapping up the thought that they are being spoken about.

Im sure they are just revellling in the thought that they are still in the spotlight !! :rolleyes: