• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the most expensive jacket you owned and how much did it cost?

CombatWombat

As a man with a red-headed Viking descended wife (she's soumi/Finn), I totally agree with the "don't tell the wife how much it costs and how many you've bought" statement......
And my most expensive jacket to date is going to be a toss up between a 1930's MC jacket I am in the process of getting restored at around $1200aud all up AND a detailed replica of a 1500's Polish roughout leather surcoat that cost me about $1000aud....
Still leather jackets are cheaper than owning firearms in Australia or my other hobby of tabletop wargaming aka "plastic crack" lol

Micawber

Just curious. I just got into the world of flight jacket and wondered how much money would be needed in the future.
Anyway, in my case 300$ g-1 jacket is my first and the most expensive jacket!

Seriously, it depends on what you are looking for. You should spend as much or as little as you feel happy with. Cut your cloth according to your means and all that.

ES335

Eastman Ostmann, $1,400 in January of '21. By far the most expensive jacket I've bought (or any other bit of kit, for that matter), but so worth it. It feels like a heavy, luxurious coat of horse hide armor. I only have a very few leather jackets, but if I had to narrow it down, I'd keep this one, and my third hand Good Wear A-1. That's all, that covers it for me.

Until I can afford another, LOL

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Never paid a lot for a jacket, I think no more than $200, but I've sold a few for a nice amount. I remember selling a B-10 with a rayon blood chit sewn inside for $1000 over 20 years ago; an unusual amount for something like that, then.

MikeyB-17

I’d never been in the position to spend over four figures on a jacket-except, I guess, for a while last year after I retired-but tbh I never really felt the need. My Aero B-3 and Highwayman have been my most expensive, both bought new for around the £700 mark, and that’s about as far as I’d be prepared to go. The Highwayman was a retirement present to myself, followed by a volley of Bronsons, and now I’m pretty much jacketed out, at least for now. A RMNZ M-422a I once had, bought from EBay for about £250 (try doing that now!), I imagine would be into the thousands nowadays. I can’t justify spending that sort of money on a jacket, even if I have the funds available, although I fully understand those who do, and years ago if I’d had the money, I’d have been beating a path to John Chapman’s door as well, but those days are gone. I certainly don’t subscribe to the horrible elitist attitude of some, that if you don’t spend thousands on a jacket, it’s automatically a piece of crap. Spend that sort of cash if you’re in a position to, but don’t feel you have to.

Last edited:

CombatWombat

Excellent point. I've seen a few jackets that looked far more correct than the 4-digit repros, you just have to take them one at a time.
I feel the same way.....I have a ELC A2 jacket....... and a A2 I got made for me by a cranky little Italian tailor, who looked like Yoda's Dad and the I hands down love the tailor made jacket because:
It fits me perfectly
The leather I chose myself
The pockets aren't flat sewn (I got him to "envelope sew" them with bellows)
It was actually cheaper than the second hand ELC
And lastly it actually looks more authentic/genuine/classic to the pictures of the originals than the "stitch exact" high end companies
Now to convince him that he can make a Swedish tanker jacket........

Saint-ex

Original in Size 50 ?

When most of the maker does go further than 46 or 48 to respect original sizing…