• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

coolhandluke

BK Star with Bronson C-2 underneath...

20240216_185034.jpg

Last edited:

Tattoo A2

How did you acquire this one, new or resale? Almost pulled the trigger on a use DD 3 years ago...
Dany, I got this one off Ebay years ago, I bought some AAF items off her and she asked me if I would be interested in 2 DD jackets she had her husband didnt want anymore, think I got it for 3 or 4 hundred bucks at the time, should have grabbed the other one at the time, but didnt.

John Luder

Robert Montgomery, They Were Expendable (1945). PT boat officers, as well as sub officers, were issued, or allowed to brown wear civilian versions of, A-2s.
Since this was filmed when it was set, it's not a costumer error. Additional nice touch is his pre-war, left-facing crow. Embroidered, not two-tone metal.
Who has some thoughts about this jacket?
Cheers,
Jack
Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 8.24.46 PM.png

John Luder

At Crash Drive(1943), when Tyrone Power was playing a PT boat capt. He was wearing a hooded waist high deck jacket.

Silver color US NAVY on the back, and the hood covered some charts.

View attachment 138681

On second and third pic you may see the hood as well.

View attachment 138683View attachment 138685
I love this movie, real color.
Fast forward. While in the boat (sub, that is) he's wearing an A-2 or civilian version. There are a few scenes in which the officers are wearing brown leather jackets. The inimitable, hard working contract player, Harry Morgan is seen in one.
I can't find the section in the regs, but all of these contemporary WW2 films were outfitted by the respective branches. There were no wardrobe department mistakes.
There's a civilian A2 in Destination Tokyo, and maybe an "issue" A-2.
John
We've analyzed John Wayne's cotton 37-J1, and Montgomery's A-2 style is leather.

Shanghai-Mayne

I love this movie, real color.
Fast forward. While in the boat (sub, that is) he's wearing an A-2 or civilian version. There are a few scenes in which the officers are wearing brown leather jackets. The inimitable, hard working contract player, Harry Morgan is seen in one.
I can't find the section in the regs, but all of these contemporary WW2 films were outfitted by the respective branches. There were no wardrobe department mistakes.
There's a civilian A2 in Destination Tokyo, and maybe an "issue" A-2.
John
We've analyzed John Wayne's cotton 37-J1, and Montgomery's A-2 style is leather.
John , I remember they wearing leather jacket before they lunched a raid against German secret base. But don’t know it is called A2 many years ago.

IMG_3084.png

It looks like one piece back panel, maybe a real deal?

Destination Tokyo , It looks like one piece back panel as well, but I can seen the dot button was not covered by leather.

IMG_3098.jpeg
IMG_3100.jpeg

Chandler

PT boat officers, as well as sub officers, were issued, or allowed to brown wear civilian versions of, A-2s.
Pretty sure this was only a Hollywood regulation. ;)

There's an auction house that often puts up jackets from these old movies -- recently sold John Wayne's Flying Tigers gear. They plainly showed the costumer tag in the "A-2."

Hollywood definitely knew the cool aspect of the look of the A-2 -- no matter the branch of service.

Also note the 2-piece back on Montgomery's jacket -- not an issue FJ.

Last edited: