• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

xmr

IMG_7700.jpeg

My new NAF1168 N156s-21741.

John Luder

Hello All,
Happy February.
I was watching They Were Expendable the other day, first time since joining the Forum. Bless you all.
It was the first time I'd taken note of The Duke's jacket, and I reckon you lads can identify it for me.
I was thrown by the B-10 style basket pockets.
Is it pre-war, or last years of the war from when it was filmed, 1945?
Robert Montgomery is wearing an A-2. Maybe. It could be civilian, IDK. I did notice a yoke seam in back.
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
Also, does anyone have an idea for picking up a sized, blue wool ball cap like Duke's? I've seen one online for $90, plus shipping from UK, I think it was.
Another thought, off topic, sort of. Of all the Donna Reed movies, I don't think she ever looked more radiant than this one. Not Wonderful Life or Here to Eternity. Sweet Jayzus, she even looked beautiful in the one-piece HBT overalls. What a dish.
Cheers,
John
Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 10.13.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 10.13.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 10.13.31 PM.png

Thomas Koehle

Hello All,
I was watching They Were Expendable the other day, first time since joining the Forum. Bless you all.
It was the first time I'd taken note of The Duke's jacket, and I reckon you lads can identify it for me.
Is it pre-war, or last years of the war from when it was filmed, 1945?
Robert Montgomery is wearing an A-2. Maybe. It could be civilian, IDK. I did notice a yoke seam in back.
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
Also, does anyone have an idea for picking up a sized, blue wool ball cap like Duke's? I've seen one online for $90, plus shipping from UK, I think it was.
Another thought, off topic, sort of. Of all the Donna Reed movies, I don't think she ever looked more radiant than this one. Not Wonderful Life or Here to Eternity. Sweet Jayzus, she even looked beautiful in the one-piece HBT overalls. What a dish.
Cheers,
John

I second the statement of @Shanghai-Mayne - the jacket should represent a 37J1 flight jacket used by USN aviators

i have seen only very few photos with the USn stencil on the back

timeframe was pre-war until the very early stages

MN85MHf.jpg

QDfBJNa.jpg

icvtq9S.jpg

nGPZeDy.png

ZTbg7go.png

dpijlXk.png

JaKTcGx.png

8oK59Z7.jpg

John Luder

I second the statement of @Shanghai-Mayne - the jacket should represent a 37J1 flight jacket used by USN aviators

i have seen only very few photos with the USn stencil on the back

timeframe was pre-war until the very early stages

MN85MHf.jpg

QDfBJNa.jpg

icvtq9S.jpg

nGPZeDy.png

ZTbg7go.png

dpijlXk.png

JaKTcGx.png

8oK59Z7.jpg
That's it!! The top photo looks the closest with a wool blanket-type collar, same as Wayne's.
Anyone making a model like that? I've looked at a couple makers, but no match.
The nice thing about movies actually made during that period is the variety of uniform pieces used. Especially those that were made with that service's cooperation, which meant do it their way with their equipment.
They reflect what was being worn. Sub and PT Boat officers got A-2s. Or they wore a civilian version. Out in the far-flung areas, they got what they could, and if it looked like something issued, they wore it and no one gigged them.
A light flight jacket makes perfect sense on a PT boat.
You fellers know the score, trying to explain reality to a re-enactor, or 'interpreter' is like talking to a wall.
I got this pic from a fb post. I cropped out John Ford and Thomas Mitchell for the sake of compactness.
Duke's in full Expendable drag as Rusty and Montgomery has thrown a corduroy sport coat over his khakis.You can see his rank pin on the left collar.
Cheers, one and all.
Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 9.47.01 AM.png

Thomas Koehle

That's it!! The top photo looks the closest with a wool blanket-type collar, same as Wayne's.
Anyone making a model like that? I've looked at a couple makers, but no match.
The nice thing about movies actually made during that period is the variety of uniform pieces used. Especially those that were made with that service's cooperation, which meant do it their way with their equipment.
They reflect what was being worn. Sub and PT Boat officers got A-2s. Or they wore a civilian version. Out in the far-flung areas, they got what they could, and if it looked like something issued, they wore it and no one gigged them.
A light flight jacket makes perfect sense on a PT boat.
You fellers know the score, trying to explain reality to a re-enactor, or 'interpreter' is like talking to a wall.
I got this pic from a fb post. I cropped out John Ford and Thomas Mitchell for the sake of compactness.
Duke's in full Expendable drag as Rusty and Montgomery has thrown a corduroy sport coat over his khakis.You can see his rank pin on the left collar.
Cheers, one and all.

COCKPIT makes a repro, BRONSON, BUZZ RICKSON or TOYS MCCOY, ...

Smithy

Good luck! And which distillery?

Jesus Christ! That was the scariest storm i have been in. Winds here hit 180 km/h. Half the fence is gone, the gate is completely fucked and the garage is knocked to shit but we were bloody lucky. I was convinced the roof was going due to the noise and shaking. Bloody terrifying.

Hurricanes are fucking beyond scary.

John Luder

COCKPIT makes a repro, BRONSON, BUZZ RICKSON or TOYS MCCOY, ...
Thanks, everyone.
Now that I know what I'm looking at, I can see it in the repros mentioned above.
It now appears that the collar is knit, like cuffs and waist. Natural pilling and roughed up by whiskers probably explains why Wayne's looked like blanket material.
Also, I found the 2018 thread concerning these. GeeBoo showed a side by side with an older one that had the 'texture' to the collar.
Thanks again.

FlakMagnet

What's scary here is it's COLD Jan so there's hail and snow flying around. Hail stones destroyed a window on the garage. Wind finished off that part of the garage.

Arctic Hurricanes are not enjoyable.
I've experienced 180+ km/h gales in the Canterbury plains before, but having Arctic weather mixed in with it must be beyond nuts

B-Man2

Jesus Christ! That was the scariest storm i have been in. Winds here hit 180 km/h. Half the fence is gone, the gate is completely fucked and the garage is knocked to shit but we were bloody lucky. I was convinced the roof was going due to the noise and shaking. Bloody terrifying.

Hurricanes are fucking beyond scary.
God Bless you guys !
Glad to hear everyone is safe
I’ve lived thru about 10 different Hurricanes during my time in Florida . Everyone of them puckers your ass just a little .

Pa12

What's scary here is it's COLD Jan so there's hail and snow flying around. Hail stones destroyed a window on the garage. Wind finished off that part of the garage.

Arctic Hurricanes are not enjoyable.
I’ve experienced that kind of wind here a few times but only in the summer. And usually with hail and tornado warnings. We haven’t had a hurricane here since Hazel in the 50’s. Being 2000 miles from the nearest ocean helps.