• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Erwin

For some odd reason, the specs of the C-2 referred to it as a vest. I bought a Willis & Geiger repro C-2 many years ago and remember them referring to it as a "vest." Can't answer why.
This is related to the fact that knitted thin garments with full-length zippers [usually designed for sports activities, golf, rowing, etc] were called vests in the USA [if I remember correctly during the 30s]. That's why C-2 was named vest in mil-spec. Cardigans have in general a visible v-neck and zipped woolen vests didn't have this feature. That's why calling a knitted true-vintage garment with a whole-length zipper a vest is correct [ was correct a long time ago] ;)

flyincowboy

This indeed looks cold
Which B-3 is this?
Yes it was ! found the photo cool too!
The B3 is CUSTOM MADE copied from an old one who felt appart .... look like it was an early model ( back with 2 pieces) Repaired with some shearling flying pants ....The original model unbranded was unstitched and used as pattern ... chrome tanned sheepskin with 21 mm fleece was used to buildt the jacket. repro buckles were sourced cowhide straps are home made. reeinforcement panels are HORSEHIDE and Believe me this jacket is very warm.

Enigma1938

Yes it was ! found the photo cool too!
The B3 is CUSTOM MADE copied from an old one who felt appart .... look like it was an early model ( back with 2 pieces) Repaired with some shearling flying pants ....The original model unbranded was unstitched and used as pattern ... chrome tanned sheepskin with 21 mm fleece was used to buildt the jacket. repro buckles were sourced cowhide straps are home made. reeinforcement panels are HORSEHIDE and Believe me this jacket is very warm.
Thanks for the Infos, its an Interesting and good looking one, congrats on this !

flyincowboy

Sounds great, when do you have planned to start that project?
By the way i do this as a hobby . working in a saddlery /upholstery shop give me access to a lot of bits used to make such jackets .like you known its been pretty hard sourcing the needed parts .I spent a lot of time collecting and assembling wrecks of jackets because not satisfied with the folds I found until I found the right sheepskin with the right thickness of wool and the right zipper and all the documentation on the manufacture of these jackets.

Griffon_301

Fit si spot on Phil!

What size is it?

It´s a BR L-2A in size 42 which I bought from Couchy several years ago.
This was the first jacket I bought based solely on its measurements without trying such a model first somewhere else.

And after loosing about 10kgs compared to when I got it, i really like its fit now. Will be a very nice jacket once temperatures start to rise a little bit come spring.

Griffon_301

I fully agree!
I tried the L-2s in combination with a BR Thermal Shirt recently and felt quite comfortable even when it was close to about 5°C only, quite remarkable for a light zone flight jacket.
I am curious how the USAF Nylons will square up against the RAF Ventile jacket once temperatures get warmer.
I think the RAF jacket will be a bit more comfortable to wear in higher temperatures thanks to being more breathable while still keeping warmth when needed...
but We will see :)

Smithy

Never mind the suit of armour I think I need the whole castle.

Enormous storm/hurricane hitting tomorrow. First time they've closed the schools and the police have SMSed everyone to stay indoors.

Never seen a red level warning here or that it's dangerous to life to be outside.
Screenshot_20240131-215132_Yr.jpg

Enigma1938

Enormous storm/hurricane hitting tomorrow. First time they've closed the schools and the police have SMSed everyone to stay indoors.

Never seen a red level warning here or that it's dangerous to life to be outside.View attachment 136735
Damn, I wish you and your family all the best for sitting out that sick weather. Something's definitely wrong since a couple of years....

Pa12

Never seen a red level warning here or that it's dangerous to life to be outside.View attachment 136735
Is not unusual to have hurricanes in that part of the world?