• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

newagegeezer

A trip up to the old Smoke (London) yesterday . mooched about for the day and visited various old pubs along the way. Wearing a fairly early ELC B-10 , pocket #77.View attachment 96781View attachment 96783View attachment 96785View attachment 96787

Being a Londoner of 7 decades I recognise all those , the Blackfriar being a particularly beautiful one. Unfortunately (for me) most pubs have become more restaurant than pub, a cheese roll with a pint or two for lunch always did me, but I realise that is the only way for some to keep going, but the old pub atmosphere has mostly gone.
There was reference to British beers in an earlier post.... of the major London breweries (prior to all the micro breweries now) my taste was for Fuller's London Pride over Youngs, Whitbread or Truman's. But back in the Sixties when most pubs went over to the Watney's Red Barrel pressurised type bitters (Steve will remember from his CAMRA days). The hand pump vanished practically overnight including my South London local so I searched out Guinness places and have mostly stuck with that over the years. Back then draught Guinness was only found in a handful of pubs, a couple in central London, 1 in an Irish area in South London near me, Liverpool and Bristol. It came over from Ireland in wooden barrels and gravity served on the bar. Then the Guinness brewery opened in Park Royal and was available all over but it all went downhill IMO as bar staff didn't know how to pour it back then and it didn't taste the same at all. Now it's not too bad, but I still feel that in Ireland it tastes so much better, but perhaps that's just the atmosphere and craic.
Anyway, here endeth today's beer sermon, sorry about that, beautiful sunny mild day here so off to the old Holly Bush in Hampstead (not the Old Bull and Bush, that's for tourists only) to meet an old friend, it's a Fuller's so a few pints of London Pride for lunch, probably wear the Sheeplined or the H&L Block M422A
Cheers !

D97x7

My sort of weather, no hat, no scarf, thin tee, jacket open, perfect for walking the dogs in an ELC Irvin.
IMG_20230213_120128.jpg