• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

John Luder

Sporting my new (as of this summer) Real McCoys N-1. Overall - a nice jacket. The one weakness is the brass talon zipper. It likes to jam towards the bottom and not want to either zip up or down, depending on how cranky it is that day. The teeth get mis-aligned very easily. I also wish it had corduroy lined pockets like the Bronson does. But the lining is perfect - not itchy like the SM Wholesale one I tried (that also had a janky talon zipper). I kind of want a blue N-1 now…

View attachment 92251
I was a boxboy at a Hughes Market in western LA county in 1969. There were probably 4 or 5 of these jackets, actual surplus, hanging in the back for guys to use while stocking the dairy box or other freezer compartments. I could plotz when I think of the stuff that was so readily available for a few bucks at the local Army/Navy surplus stores.

John Luder

In case my ATF B-10 is a bust, I'm also looking at the Bob Dong, don't say it. And the New York Leather B-10.
You fellers have the eyes for this, so I'll ask your advices.
I will contact them after Christmas to ask what parts are made of what material. They're rather vague, stating "cotton, wool, polyester" or something along those lines. Their photo of the back of the coat won't open.
As I've noted above, I'm really more interested in no decal on the left shoulder. Patches can be attached with a whipstitch, and easily switched out. Same with leather squadron patches. I can run one thru the sewing machine to perforate it and whipstitch it on without long term damage to the fabric. Heavy leather nameplate is a slightly different animal in that regard.
They're supposedly on Long Island, in Huntington, NY.
A 38-39 chest is listed as a small. Confusing sizing.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Flight (jacket).
View attachment 91295
I haven't called these New York Leather dudes yet, but my ATF just arrived. I was like Ralphie's father waiting for the lamp to arrive. Or like Old Shep, sitting on the front porch waiting for the dinner bell.
Hilts to von Luger: "Jacket just didn't work out, hunh?"
What a pisser.
It's irredeemable and irremediable. I'd have to spend hours or oodles of dough to re-place the zipper and the cuffs, which are too slack for the too-long sleeves.
QUESTION for you Bronson or Dong owners: Can the AAF decal be covered by another AAF patch sewn on? Would a sew-on patch cover the Arnold Wings completely as well as the Army Air Forces, or leave the AAF visible. Bueller?... Bueller?
Cheers

leper-colony

I haven't called these New York Leather dudes yet, but my ATF just arrived. I was like Ralphie's father waiting for the lamp to arrive. Or like Old Shep, sitting on the front porch waiting for the dinner bell.
Hilts to von Luger: "Jacket just didn't work out, hunh?"
What a pisser.
It's irredeemable and irremediable. I'd have to spend hours or oodles of dough to re-place the zipper and the cuffs, which are too slack for the too-long sleeves.
QUESTION for you Bronson or Dong owners: Can the AAF decal be covered by another AAF patch sewn on? Would a sew-on patch cover the Arnold Wings completely as well as the Army Air Forces, or leave the AAF visible. Bueller?... Bueller?
Cheers
The lettering would not be covered by a standard sized patch.

John Luder

The lettering would not be covered by a standard sized patch.
Thanks very much. As I ponder this, it seems to me that it wouldn't be bad, or wrong, to have an issued jacket with the decal, and hand-stitching another AAF patch over it. No decal offers more options, but... Maybe Bob Dong is in the running. Dammit.
Nothing to be done till next year, at any rate.
Much appreciated.

Micawber

Aero Irvin and me all polished up for a trip out to restock provisions....

IMG_20221231_112631.jpg

Pa12

Here too. My car was buried for 3 days at Christmas and now there isn’t a trace of snow left. But I’m not complaining. 12 c yesterday :D

mulceber

Nice mild gray dull winter day that I decided to brighten with an original USN NXsx 79062 N-1 in good condition overall. Zipper will need some love. Sorry for the crappy image, not a lot of light to work with. The jacket was manufactured by Cornelius Weiss Co, Brooklyn, NY around 44/45.

I was itching for an original ever since I got a Buzz reproduction. The fit is okay as long as I don't layer too thick. I will say that Buzz really did a good job with their N-1, at least the one I have. Beside the weird label that says Medium instead of Size 40... I should post a side by side comparison.

Here's my original. The toque is US NAVY 40's Watch Cap from MASH.

View attachment 92509

Dany
I'll second what @B-Man2 said - I'd love to read a side-by-side review of Buzz's repro and an original.

Pa12

If anyone on the forum has the same jacket, same manufacturer, same size, a comparison picture would be worth a thousand words.or emails.

bseal

old is new is old. soooo...this jacket was custom made by our own Steve Sellers. it is the result of a project that I had in mind for making a dead on reproduction of an aero 38-1711p a-2 jacket. I repurposed hides [hh moo?] from a 1950s couch that my wife wanted to toss. the zipper is an original 1935-36 talon rivet type. the label is from an original pair of 1940 aero shearling pants. the snaps, liner, and knit elements were sourced new. it would seem that aero, and other manufactures were modifying their a-2 designs during the later 1930s, and early 1940s. during the course of a-2 evolution, buttoned pockets complicated rivet zippers, collar stands, sewn in collar clips, and top stitching both sides of the sleeves were eventually eliminated. the 1711p contract had all of the above but buttoned pockets, the 1711p contract was awarded to aero in 1937 for 1500 jackets View attachment 92427View attachment 92429View attachment 92431View attachment 92433View attachment 92435View attachment 92437View attachment 92439View attachment 92441View attachment 92443View attachment 92425
Great work Mr. Sellers. Sofa king cool.