• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

mulceber

For me it was just a little too warm for Navy jackets today, so back to the Monarch.
IMG_5845.jpeg

Last edited:

CombatWombat

A slightly warmer 14 Celcius here today.
Just relaxing in my Stagg VictoriaPolice jacket (unfortunately a zipper pull was missing when I got it but nothing a piece of paracord and my beard bead can't fix)

NW Carver

Original Poughkeepsie A2, size 42 - all original except the wrist and waist knits which I had replaced (still kept the originals though) - and the liner has faded to almost orange towards the neck, with some small rips, holes and darning…

Someone’s initials are in the liner - but very faded, so unsure as to whom…patch is original to the jacket and is in paint - it’s a Walt Disney designed patch for the 77th Bombardment Squadron, Medium (currently it’s a weapons squadron) - during WW2 they were flying B26 Marauders and B25 Mitchell’s
4152FF54-EA3A-40A3-A98F-18F61BBDAD1F.jpeg

Original pic of 77th - with chap wearing an A2 with same patch (note my jacket has patch on same side his does - but my pic is taken in the mirror, so shows as on other side)…
3A5A03ED-51FD-4A6B-BC4F-D7B6E48D2A9A.png

And a close up
99009758-8C8F-4E21-8050-3167293D9508.jpeg

Last edited:

NW Carver

Great looking Poughkeepsie with a nice provenance .
Congrats !
Thank you - I picked this one up years ago now, would have been around 1999 or 2000....got the knits done and wore it only occassionally, as i did not want to ruin it. I remember talking to John Chapman about this jacket, and its patch, back in the days he was on here and before he started making jackets...

In fact when he did start making them, he asked if I would like to send him my jacket so he could take pics/measurements, etc to make a pattern from - and in return, I could have the first produced jacket of that pattern at a significant discount - just paying for his time....sad to say, I did not take him up on his kind offer as I was concerned about it getting lost/going missing in transit....am I kicking myself now, yep every single day...lolol

Micawber

Steve,

great jeep.

How is the ratio between driving hours and maintenance work, and are these cars reliable?

Just asking because my experience with vintage italian scooters is rather frustrating....good things is that you can do everything on your own, but almost every ride ended with dripping fluids, torn clutch or brake cables, filthy carburetors....

Ties

Ties,

Compared to many pre war civvie vehicles these are a doddle to maintain and source spares for. They were produced in such numbers and had a long post war use and in service rebuild history in a number of countries that survival rate is excellent. Basic and easy to service and maintain the biggest challenge is corrosion and finding one that is as near original as possible. Known histories and provence are uncommon but unit ID's and markings have been known to be uncovered under layers of paint.

NW Carver

Today, it’s my ‘Perry’ A2, size 42, this jacket is very interesting.

It’s a ‘re-dye’ which you can see inside the pockets was originally a camel colour overall - but was then re-dyed with another colour over the top, at the same time a new liner was put inside (not the same as the wartime version), and a silver colour round USAF logo was applied on the inside of the wind flap near the zip…

The label itself was restiched in and was for a ‘Cable’ produced A2 - however under closer inspection this is not a Cable but actually a ‘Perry’…

Having talked this through with both Gary Eastman and John Chapmen, as well as on this forum - back in early 2000s - the conclusion was that this was a Korea War ‘reissue’ after the US depot had ‘refurbished’ some of the WW2 jackets handed back in - and while doing so put the incorrect label back in…

Cannot prove this 100% but it makes sense when thinking about it…

Interestingly, the epaulettes on the jacket, instead of laying flat are ‘moulded’ in square shape upward in the middle - it’s the exact shape of a parachute harness straps when pushed under the epaulettes…

Note - the ‘brown’ liner in it at the moment is what I have had put in, it’s the right material but could not get correct colour from anywhere - the original knits, waist band (with holes in) and weird replaced liner I have kept for ref…

This jacket is still supple and nice to wear…and I have worn it while flying in a modern Cherokee and Piper with my friend.

If anyone has any more info they can add to this, then please feel free

1CBBEF9C-3620-4396-9998-63BBEE78500D.jpeg

Close up of decal on inside wind flap
88D24CEA-6BC5-471B-B5C6-B3A74C93E65C.jpeg

The dye line on inside of pocket - you can see where the dye stops and the real colour of the leather is
A1602C72-09B5-49B7-8D21-3E7F0F1D8A26.jpeg

The Cable label
E44F4609-5931-45B3-B307-BCAA6BAE1DAF.jpeg

The misshaped eppaulettes
EEE9B845-2939-49EB-8B8C-808CCD519FF1.jpeg