• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

NW Carver

My USN collection - 2 M422as and 6 G1s
3C60E334-90C0-4D6F-8E8B-2E16EA0B4630.jpeg

NW Carver

This M422a I bought off a forum member back in 2009 - he had literally bought it back from the dead (took him 6 months to restitch back together - new liner, collar and knits) - leather has some surface flaking, label has been lost but I think it’s another Willis and Geiger.

Interestingly, it has USN branded into the leather above one of the pockets and stitch marks from a leather pilots wings badge but under this - faintly - in yellow aircraft dope paint a stenciled ‘OTU 70‘ can be seen - which I think stands for ‘Operational Training Unit 70‘ - however I have not been able to find out any info about this unit..

E6C9E5A3-FA39-4CB5-8536-8A966E0A31D7.jpeg

NW Carver

This is my 55J14 (AER) by A.Pritzker & Sons Inc. This one was pretty much a ‘shed case’ when I got it— back in 2005 - it had been left in a hot loft/attic to the point where the leather was as stiff as cardboard, the lining had started to rot and the knots had gone totally....although the collar was good...

I managed to get it restored with new knits - and the original liner retained but repaired around the collar where it had started to go - i then used pecards to try and restore the leather - but although the leather became supple after this, the leather had already started to ’flake‘ and had become ‘tender’ - it’s wearable though, even if a bit musty smelling...

BDA0EEB9-0538-4105-8D6C-5CCBE504AB02.jpeg

NW Carver

This is my J-7823 (AER) Werber Sportswear Inc - this is different to the other jackets in that the body is shorter, the pockets are bigger and more centred towards the middle of the body rather than the sides, the wind flap is long and the collars are large....If I remember rightly, these were made for a short period in the mid to late 1950s and Werber were a Canadian based company....but I could be miss remembering there...

FF622ECA-9839-440F-8C07-494EC15340B3.jpeg

mulceber

If I remember rightly, these were made for a short period in the mid to late 1950s and Werber were a Canadian based company....but I could be miss remembering there...

1952, or thereabouts. The Werber that produced this contract was the same that had four A-2 contracts prior to WW2. At that point they were based in Newburgh, New York, although I suppose it's possible they migrated North prior to getting their Navy contract. The Talon zipper on that contract is certainly a Canadian make.

Oh and welcome back to the VLJ - beautiful collection of Navy jackets you have. :)

NW Carver

1952, or thereabouts. The Werber that produced this contract was the same that had four A-2 contracts prior to WW2. At that point they were based in Newburgh, New York, although I suppose it's possible they migrated North prior to getting their Navy contract. The Talon zipper on that contract is certainly a Canadian make.

Oh and welcome back to the VLJ - beautiful collection of Navy jackets you have. :)
Thank you for clarifying that I must admit, my mind was a bit hazy on recollecting the details on the Werber - the jackets had all been stored away for a while while I made several home moves - and it’s only now that I have dug them all out again....Somewhere, I still have two A2s and an original Irvin - as well as some repro jackets..

and thank you, it’s good to be back on the forum

entertainment

GW M-422. I believe the berry knits on this one were more fictional than historically accurate.

View attachment 79595
If I may quote from an old GW listing: "Also, we have gotten the dull purple knit seen on so many Gordon & Ferguson M-422A jackets."
I have no personal experience of any original M-422A jackets. I scrolled through the "A Better Fighting Garment" thread and some knits of the M-422s and M-422As look redder than others. But hard to tell from a photo and some could be replacements.

Nickb123

If I may quote from an old GW listing: "Also, we have gotten the dull purple knit seen on so many Gordon & Ferguson M-422A jackets."
I have no personal experience of any original M-422A jackets. I scrolled through the "A Better Fighting Garment" thread and some knits of the M-422s and M-422As look redder than others. But hard to tell from a photo and some could be replacements.

Thanks for that. This is a W&G, I’m not sure that was a feature of theirs.

In any event, if the moths go to town, I have some medium brown replacement knits from MASH. Very nicely made.