• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

busdrivermike

G1 by branded as I fly low to the ground :cool:
E7785F8A-4B88-4C6B-97F0-A036F9CF1457.jpeg

Kr1s

Hello, thank you. Unfortunately, I do not know that.

Hi,
nice jacket.
I was wondering if you know why some Branded Garments contracts are DLA100-92-C-0346 and some are DLA100-92-C-0346A. Some zippers are Ideal, some Scovill. I've noticed it when looking for a jacket on eBay. I even found jackets with handwritten size on the labels.
Best
Tylbor

dinomartino1

Hi,
nice jacket.
I was wondering if you know why some Branded Garments contracts are DLA100-92-C-0346 and some are DLA100-92-C-0346A. Some zippers are Ideal, some Scovill. I've noticed it when looking for a jacket on eBay. I even found jackets with handwritten size on the labels.
Best
Tylbor
This is old I don't know if they still make them .

"These were, hands down, the best of the modern A-2s. But you have to get one that was actually made for the military. Orchard continued to make this jacket for the civilian market long after their military contract expired. And sadly, the civilian jackets were nowhere near the quality of their military A-2s."

"The orchard / branded A2's are hard to identify as issue or not because they kept using the exact same labels as the issued ones in later jackets.

"Branded should not be selling jackets, to the public, with NSN numbers and DLA contract numbers, these number are what identifies the item as being US property, NOT for resale (unless declared surplus by the US government]"

"Been buying and wearing current issue A-2s for a long, long time now. Many folks here wouldn't even admit that they were real A-2s. They just weren't Lost Worlds or Real McCoys or whatever. Actually, of the original re-issues, Branded Leather was clearly the best of the lot. Nice thick goat. High arm holes. Decco pocket flaps. Classic cut."

"I'm not sure if Orchard had any other than the '92 contract. If they did, I've never handled a jacket from one. But all the issued '92s I've ever seen were excellent jackets. Here's the bad news, though. Branded Leather continues to this day to put 1992 vintage spec tags in their civilian A-2s. The tags are even complete with a '92 DLA number. Sadly, their civilian jackets are nowhere as good as the old issued ones. You sorta have to know what to look for to get a real, issued Orchard A-2. Most of what's on ebay are recent repros."

How can I tell the difference between the two ?

"The leather of the originals is more seal colored and is clearly goatskin...and is typically quite grainy. I'm not sure what the civi ones are made of...it may be embossed cowhide. The linings of the originals are made of some kind of oxford cloth and are rich, brownish tan. Newer jackets have a slicker, rayon looking lining and the color is paler looking. The pocket flaps of the originals are large and nicely scallopped. The flaps on the newer jackets are VERY large and not as nicely cut.
In spite of government specs, the originals had an inside wallet pocket on the left side. Not sure if the civi jackets do or not."

Last edited:

newagegeezer

chilly day after last week's Summer temperature days so an old faithful original Aero B6 (a perfect lightweight shearling for UK early Spring/ late Autumn days) is getting an outing for walk to the post box round the corner, before teh predicted rain comes on. It's in very good condition for 75+ years old, same age as me. Used to wear it a lot on my old bikes, hope to get out on one again ASAP.
Apart from this I've just been in the garden (lucky to have one in London UK) last couple of weeks so no jacket wearing
keep safe everyone

Attachments

• DSCN3776.JPG
    DSCN3776.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 150

Kr1s

Mine has Ideal zipper, rather rayon looking lining, inner pocket. Can't judge the leather though, if it's goat or cowhide.
s-l1600 (16).jpg

This is old I don't know if they still make them .

"These were, hands down, the best of the modern A-2s. But you have to get one that was actually made for the military. Orchard continued to make this jacket for the civilian market long after their military contract expired. And sadly, the civilian jackets were nowhere near the quality of their military A-2s."

"The orchard / branded A2's are hard to identify as issue or not because they kept using the exact same labels as the issued ones in later jackets.

"Branded should not be selling jackets, to the public, with NSN numbers and DLA contract numbers, these number are what identifies the item as being US property, NOT for resale (unless declared surplus by the US government]"

"Been buying and wearing current issue A-2s for a long, long time now. Many folks here wouldn't even admit that they were real A-2s. They just weren't Lost Worlds or Real McCoys or whatever. Actually, of the original re-issues, Branded Leather was clearly the best of the lot. Nice thick goat. High arm holes. Decco pocket flaps. Classic cut."

"I'm not sure if Orchard had any other than the '92 contract. If they did, I've never handled a jacket from one. But all the issued '92s I've ever seen were excellent jackets. Here's the bad news, though. Branded Leather continues to this day to put 1992 vintage spec tags in their civilian A-2s. The tags are even complete with a '92 DLA number. Sadly, their civilian jackets are nowhere as good as the old issued ones. You sorta have to know what to look for to get a real, issued Orchard A-2. Most of what's on ebay are recent repros."

How can I tell the difference between the two ?

"The leather of the originals is more seal colored and is clearly goatskin...and is typically quite grainy. I'm not sure what the civi ones are made of...it may be embossed cowhide. The linings of the originals are made of some kind of oxford cloth and are rich, brownish tan. Newer jackets have a slicker, rayon looking lining and the color is paler looking. The pocket flaps of the originals are large and nicely scallopped. The flaps on the newer jackets are VERY large and not as nicely cut.
In spite of government specs, the originals had an inside wallet pocket on the left side. Not sure if the civi jackets do or not."

Attachments

• s-l1600 (24).jpg
    s-l1600 (24).jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 154
  • s-l1600 (23).jpg
    s-l1600 (23).jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 144
  • s-l1600 (22).jpg
    s-l1600 (22).jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 152
  • s-l1600 (21).jpg
    s-l1600 (21).jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 157
  • s-l1600 (20).jpg
    s-l1600 (20).jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 145
  • s-l1600 (19).jpg
    s-l1600 (19).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 144
  • s-l1600 (18).jpg
    s-l1600 (18).jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 142
  • s-l1600 (17).jpg
    s-l1600 (17).jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 155
  • s-l1601.jpg
    s-l1601.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 177

busdrivermike

Mine has Ideal zipper, rather rayon looking lining, inner pocket. Can't judge the leather though, if it's goat or cowhide.View attachment 36162
I would judge yours to be their cowhide model, based on how it’s hanging
Their cowhide while thick is soft and if dropped on the floor tends to turn into
A puddle. I’ve heard they are very comfortable
here’s a couple close ups from my branded A2 including the tag, with A at the end, the liner and leather.
It also has the ideal zipper, I don’t know if mine was issued, I wondered if the reason they keep
Using the tag is because by dropping the A it’s now now longer considered a contract number ?

11DEC96F-DF30-487C-801D-377EEB170039.png
A3D54BA8-9C22-44C2-BC8D-D8F343A894F4.png
AB53D30E-2C08-49FB-92B9-EE264EA83E0F.png

Last edited:

Wholenineyards

So today was a day of inside mask-on and outside mask-off events. Every breath I took from the unobstructed atmosphere was like a vacation. Obviously a goatskin GW RW of a very early production date including a relaxed comfy fit (I feel it drapes well within historical limits) really enhances the "breathing humanoid" experience.
20200429_184656.jpg

Wholenineyards

Took the Dubow for a walk. I’m still a bit unsure about the fit. It feels really roomy. The pockets are so wide apart that it gives the front a peculiar drape. Also, the Dubow collar is one of the smallest I’ve seen, albeit really stylish, but I prefer them bigger and higher. I’ll see, but if I end up not liking it I’ll just sell it along with the Star and use the money to buy a BK.

View attachment 35895View attachment 35896
Greg, I always thought a snug fit would be best but now I enjoy a good relaxed drape. Yours represents a lot of WW2 fits. It does look really well.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

The L-2B! Got it! Thanks. Do you feel it is short or would you say it has a comfy length for you when moving? Markus
This specific L-2b is size Small so it is a bit short... I had no option, but I normally wear size Medium or Large without any problem, I’m 5’10” (1,80 mts). In my experience, the L-2B’s do have some measurement variations according to years and companies, so it’s a matter of luck sometimes achieving the right size.
I will post more L-2b’s in the next days so we can see the differences.

Last edited:

B-Man2

So today was a day of inside mask-on and outside mask-off events. Every breath I took from the unobstructed atmosphere was like a vacation. Obviously a goatskin GW RW of a very early production date including a relaxed comfy fit (I feel it drapes well within historical limits) really enhances the "breathing humanoid" experience.
View attachment 36194
Love the caramel knits in that !
What contract it that ?