• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

JonnyCrow

You still took the initiative. Good on you.

My only excuse was "I didn't have to." I was 2 stamps away from going to the US AF Academy after college... and a job came up. Still haven't figured out if I made the right choice.
I didn't serve in anything Chandler, but my adopted son did, 7 years on HMS Somerset, type 23, engineering, navy put him through his degree, he has had some colourful stories, like chasing pirates and a exchange program on a USN carrier for a few weeks haha proud of him though, he got a vet medal for it and another 3 years reserve, still civvy engineering now.

Chandler

Anyone remember the "Welcome Home Parade" in Chicago, 1986?

It was a Friday, so I didn't go, but made plans to go to Grant Park to see the Traveling Wall the next day.

My (then) wife and I got off the train in downtown Chi and started heading east with a throng of people -- many who turned out to be vets with whom I immediately struck up conversation. Most of them had participated in the parade the day previous and I got to hear great stories of how it touched them.

It's a long walk from Union Station to Grant Park and I embraced every step.

Chandler

When I was growing up, every night was what was going on in Vietnam on the nightly TV news.
Same here, but I was too young to have paid attention. It wasn't until late HS and early college that I started getting interested and reading up on the conflict (kicked my own ass for not paying attention when it was live).

I still wear an MIA bracelet I got around 1982 or 83 when I heard the founders on a radio interview.

Chandler

You were in line for conscription? I'm 61 but Canadian so .. I'm very concientious of US Vietnam vets.
Not sure if this is directed at me, but no -- not quite in line for conscription into the conflict, though my friends and I always looked over our shoulders until the war ended.

I was still one of those who had to sign up for the draft before it was finally done away with.

Chandler

So you are like five years older than me or so? Not old enough to be conscripted for the war?
Just shy of 63. Watched the war's conclusion with my friends in junior high... still wary of what could happen.

Draft registration was still a thing when I turned 18, not sure when it was finally shut down.

ES335

I'll have to try to keep that answer in my head -- which is in my heart, because of the respect I carry. But there's still no way I'm going to add rank tabs or chevrons to anything I wear.

As an addendum -- I was wearing my N-3B while shopping with my wife this morning. There were 2 Vietnam vets in the store (obvious by their caps).

The 2 both eye-balled me a little, but never said anything, though I waited. Would definitely have shown them the respect they're due.
Why not say something positive? Not that it makes me in any way superiour to anyone else, but I live very near several military posts. I make a point of saying "thank you for your service, you folks are the absolute best!" when I run into them. I too would never wear contemporary rank or insignia symbols... That needs to be EARNED IMO.

Chandler

I make a point of saying "thank you for your service..."
Believe it or not, there's a big faction of vets who don't appreciate that.

I always wait until I'm approached before I say something -- I never make that first move to (sort of) call someone out.

That said, I also don't avoid eye contact and always give a sincere smile so that they know I'm approachable.

ES335

Believe it or not, there's a big faction of vets who don't appreciate that.

I always wait until I'm approached before I say something -- I never make that first move to (sort of) call someone out.

That said, I also don't avoid eye contact and always give a sincere smile so that they know I'm approachable.
Understood. My father was a two-tour Vietnam vet, my clumsy questions about his service at the time when I was a kid were met with silence. He retired a full Col., and his father a General who I understand served in Italy in WW2. As a kid at the time my mother, sister and I watched the evening news where "body counts," literal heaps of VC dead and the like were the measure of success in the late sixties/early seventies.

Anyone who servered either here or there, either then or now, has my eternal gratitude.

Last edited:

bseal

6DB4E7B3-BCDB-4E76-956A-9F341B163D89.jpeg

DBFDA6C2-2DE5-4DEF-ABEE-B2DBA7FE9061.jpeg

3E91F2A0-6E26-409F-8EFB-E7F50A1A4372.jpeg

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Understood. My father was a two-tour Vietnam vet, my clumsy questions about his service at the time when I was a kid were met with silence. He retired a full Col., and his father a General who I understand served in Italy in WW2. As a kid at the time my mother, sister and I watched the evening news where "body counts," literal heaps of VC dead and the like were the measure of success in the late sixties/early seventies.

Anyone who servered either here or there, either then or now, has my eternal gratitude.
In Country more to me. As a person who served aboard ships. Being fired upon is more gratitude to them than to me.